GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 12:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sticking Spreaders/Leading Edge Connectors  (Read 2203 times)
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 11:58 AM »

I stand by my statement a few years ago that APAs are one of the most important advancements in sport kiting. Nothing comes close.
agreed, that and stand-offs.

They got the compound mixture just right with APAs.

I've found that Sky Shark connectors are too 'plastic-y' and get brittle, Tradewinds are too rubbery and can leave marks on the sail.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:01 PM by sbrown » Logged

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 03:31 PM »

Today I put the Quantum together and tried to seat the spreaders a little deeper.  This may duplicate what is happening when the kite is flown in the higher winds this fall.  Same symptoms: the spreaders are so tight I cannot twist them.  After using quite a bit of force I pulled them out.  Thinking lube is the answer I used Endust (light furniture polish) on the tips.  Even when pushed in deep the spreaders will still twist and come out while keeping a tight fit.  This looks like the solution and will not stain the kite fabric.

I did a search for kite lube and maybe talc will also work.  Does anyone know how Kitemates work?  It is unclear from the pictures I found.

tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 03:38 PM »

I did a search for kite lube and maybe talc will also work.  Does anyone know how Kitemates work?  It is unclear from the pictures I found.
Look no further then the tip of your nose, young Grasshopper.

No, really... it's the oil on the side of your nose.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 03:49 PM »

Talc does work, I've used it on my Talon to reduce the grip of the APAs on the 7PT LS.  It does need reapplying to maintain it's effectiveness.

Kitemates work by breaking the seal between the spar and the connector.  I've bought one but not used it in anger.  Never tried nose grease either.

KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 06:05 PM »

...Does anyone know how Kitemates work?  It is unclear from the pictures I found...

Place the groove over the spar to be remove with the little 'tang' pointing towards the rubber fitting.  Push the Kite Mate with your thumb along the spar and into the rubber fitting.  The Kite Mate makes it a LOT easier to remove stubborn spars without damaging the kite or your thumb.  I highly recommend them.

If you have trouble finding one, I might know where you can get one... Wink

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2010, 02:44 PM »

I think I posted this before... Being I have a (few) old skool kites, I lifted a tool similar to this from the kitchen

By holding the spar in your hand and inserting it in the groove against the fitting you can then push with your thumbs and the spreader will slide out easily...I find it works great to pop off the end caps of a REV that has collected sand in between the cap and spar...especially nice when your hands are a bit cold

the picture is from amazon, but if you Google oven rack push pull tool you'll find some, hey get 2 they work great in the kitchen also

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography