GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 09:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As promised.....B'zar UL  (Read 2465 times)
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: November 24, 2010, 09:20 AM »

I have just finished my B'zar UL and shot some pictures today, the first sunny day after a lot of rain!
I framed it as UL, maybe "very" UL: ULE P90, LLE P100, Spine structil 6mm, US structil 5mm, LS 3PT, tail weight 16gr, mylar 60gr. Bridle reverse turbo as from original project with possibility to make a 3 legs, or increase turbo in 3 positions till 5cm, besides I made rounded cutting for APAs instead of straight ones.
Here are some pics of the kite and closeups, I like to share, hoping you'll enjoy them.
Paolo.

Lex B
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:31 AM »

A FINE BUILD!!
Our Southern neighbours are more then entousiastic about  this kite.
You have a freesyler there !!

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
mdilucca
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:46 AM »

Ciao Paolo!!!

That's an awesome piece of work!!! Roll Eyes I can't wait to hear your comments after you fly it  Tongue.   Thanks again for all you kite making tips......

Cordiali saluti,
Mario

Cheers
Mario

onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:52 PM »

Beautiful work.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 05:45 PM »

excellent colors.  wonderful attention to detail. 

I sure hope you give it a go with some of your own designs, as I've really enjoyed seeing the kites you've constructed over the 6 months or so.  if you haven't given it a try, check out Ian Newham's Thornback II. (Links can be found in the kite plans sticky thread).

werner

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 03:52 AM »

Beautiful work!! How much weight did you put in the tail? I build a UL myself and I think the bridle is a little different to the STD. I will verify and inform you on that. I'm looking forward to a FULL review as you've tested it. Thanks for sharing this !!!
Svolazzo

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:02 PM »

Thanks Werner, I put 16gr at the moment, but I have still to fly it, the weather doesn't help flying here in Italy, is 16gr worth for you or is it too much? Please tell me if bridles are to be set different compared with the STD.
I flown the STD just a bit some days ago, too little flying time to have a complete impression, however it looks like to be very fun and tricky, I have to adjust the inputs for some tricks mostly in lateral rolls (passing from fade to turtle in a JL for instance). I tried to increase the length of turbo to 5cm and at a very, very first impression it seemed better for me, I'll try also at 3cm as soon as I'll fly it. What di you think about that? 

Paolo
werner

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 12:24 PM »

16 grams seems good to me!! It depends on the wind. I prefer a weightsystem that can be adjusted very quickly.
I will mesure the bridle of my UL tomorrow and put it on the forum.
This weather must be frustrating, I gess!! I hope you will get a chance of flying your newly mades soon!!

werner

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2010, 01:34 AM »

Sorry it took me a few days longer but here you have the UL bridle.
It is a reverse turbo as on the STD

Outer leg from center apa to pigtail: 63 cm
Turbo leg: 6 cm
Inner leg from center T to turboleg: 60,5 cm
Upper leg from center apa to turboleg: 58 cm

There is an activator that connects the upperleg with the inner leg as follows:

upper connection point: 6 cm from center upper apa
inner connection point: 18 cm from center T-piece
lenght of the activator: 32 cm

I fly the B'zar UL with the inner standoffs in the most outer position that is as close as possible to the outer standoffs. This gives the kite more lift and drive.

Weight in tail is 15 gr

frame:

Upper and Lower Leading Edge: P100 Skyshark
Spine: 5PT Skyshark
Upper spreader: 5 mm Structil
Lower spreaders: Icone RED

Yoyo bars: 2 mm glassfiber
standoffs: 3 mm carbon

Lower apas: normal std
Upper apas: small ones
indigo_2107

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 10:03 AM »

I fly the B'zar UL with the inner standoffs in the most outer position that is as close as possible to the outer standoffs. This gives the kite more lift and drive.

Sorry to intrude this conversation but i was really interested in this particular thing. I was wondering wouldn't shifting the inner standoffs nearer to the outer standoffs make the sail more loose?? as the design of the sail is fixed for standoffs wide apart??
Svolazzo

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 04:33 PM »

Many thanks Werner, I made the UL bridle as the STD ones but reading your post they seem to be quite different. I didn't flown my UL till now due to bad weather and not suitable winds, for now I'll go with the bridle I made just because they are there, then I'll tied a new set with your measures, or better I'll make some pieces of adjustable knotted legs to add to the actual bridle to match the new measure, and will test them in the shape you told me.
I flown the STD for a while today in the evening, wind was a little high but not too much, I set the turbo to 5cm that seems to work better in my hands. My very first impression is that it's very tricky, but needs sharper and firmer imputs to trick, compared with the two kites I normally fly, the NSE and K2. I noticed also that it's very noisy,  but in truth I haven't passed the leech line, is it in your opinion better to add it (if I'll succeed in putting it through now) and tighten it a bit? If yes, tighten the trailng edge, doesn't the kite lose something in trickability, precision or drive and increase too much speed and pull? In a word, does it worth passing the leech line through?

Paolo
werner

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 11:13 PM »

putting the standoffs closer means indeed losening the sail, but in this case we talk about an UL. It's also just the inner standoff wich comes closer to the outside. That gives a slightly different angle and more lift in the tailsection especially in rotating movements wich are usually executed slowly with an UL as for example a tazz machine. I always try to add the modern french style tricks without losing the oldschoolmoves in my designs. This often results in not only another frame but also other bridle and standoff settings for an UL.
The B'zar 2009 UL has even a different sailshape compared to the STD

About that sailshape : I think you have two theories on the ideal shape for UL conditions.

You can go for a very tensioned shape as for example a Prism Illusion that shows a sail that catches the wind immediatly and stays in the same shape with or without wind.

You can design a sail that comes into shape with the help of a little wind, this means a sail that has lots of volume wich has to be activated by a little wind to get in place and be efficient. This kind of designs can be stopped easily in a stall, slide etc... and will be a little slower in straight lines to.

For UL kites we are talking about windrange of 6 to 12 km / h the shallow design is my favourite. It depends on your own style of flying but I prefer to trick as pure as possible and the shallow sailshape gives me more time and precision.

If we would talk about a SUL you have to maximise the efficiency of the sail in almost no wind conditions. 
In that case I go for the tensioned sail wich catches the lightest of breezes as you see in indoor designs.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:33 AM by werner » Logged
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 04:29 PM »

You,make kite makeing look sooo eazy! Another great kite.
I would love to have your ability! Keep'em comeing.
Lex B

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 02:10 PM »

You,make kite makeing look sooo eazy! Another great kite.
I would love to have your ability! Keep'em comeing.
Anyone can do it.
If I can, you can; just give it a go !!

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
werner

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 12:52 AM »

Another small detail: about the nose section of the B'zars I see on the pictures. I think the spine goes a little to far into the nose bag. I prefer to stop it app. 12 mm before the end of the reinforcement. In that way the upper leading edge can pass to make a 3 dimensional nose shape. Kinda like a nose of the Cosmic from Kitehouse It appears that this has some influence on the Tazz-ability...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document