GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 04:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helmet Cam  (Read 3783 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: November 25, 2010, 10:23 AM »

A kite, a camcorder, a bike helmet and a few zip ties and you are all set!

I don't think the video quality approaches what a human camerman can do by any means, but if you are all alone and wish to capture your flying, this beats a tripod in at least some circumstances.

There are a few commercial items available that are small and can easily attach to a hat for example (even in the <$100 price range), but I just strapped my low-end Panasonic camcorder (still rather small) to my bike helmet and headed to the flying field to see how it might all work out. 

I was more impressed with the result than I thought I would be, but check it out for yourself.

Helmet Cam.m4v

-Tom

6 kite tom
Ang3lFir3
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 11:05 AM »

Thats awesome Tom!!!!!

2 important things I noted.... you are always in frame (because you are looking at the kite) and you are not watching the flying some crazy sideways angle that may happen is the wind shifts while you have your tripod out.... awesome...
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:14 AM »

Thats very nice Tom! The kite was captured in frame pretty well.

I made a similar video some time ago, camera on chest instead with some pretty disasterous results (Watch it at your own risk Smiley )

Stunt Kite Chest Camera Test

This is motivating me to try to do it again with a helmet cam.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
tonycarl60
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 02:00 PM »

I just bought a pair of sunglasses with a built in cam, works pretty good Smiley

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:17 PM »

Came out dang good Tom, better then I expected when I clicked it, much less shaking then I expected to see and I didn't find that really distracting. The rolling horizon from tilting your head was a bit though. Work on that will ya'?  Cheesy  Wink

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 03:51 PM »

OK Tom,

I tried to avoid this post, really I did... Roll Eyes

As you know I'm in an abusive relationship with my tripod, to say it doesn't understand compromise is an understatement.

So seeing you were behind the post, i thought, well now here's a considered opinion, Tom wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it...

0:17...

She was obviously worried Tom, the reemphasizing  of the word "exactly" in the second repeat of the question is a clear indicator that she's quite anxious at your appearance, note the wringing of her hands...  Cheesy

If you hadn't answered in such an open and slightly self deprecating manner I could see her walking quietly off... and 10 mins later a 'team of men in black'
taking you quietly away for some obviously much needed help...

As to the quality of the video and framing...

Looks quite good, might even pass "temporary out of frames" regs.

Still on the fence Wink

Coolness has to have a voice

So what does Eli think?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 03:57 PM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 04:21 PM »

Pretty cool. I may have to give this a try.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 04:25 PM »

OK Tom,

I tried to avoid this post, really I did... Roll Eyes

As you know I'm in an abusive relationship with my tripod, to say it doesn't understand compromise is an understatement.

So seeing you were behind the post, i thought, well now here's a considered opinion, Tom wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it...

0:17...

She was obviously worried Tom, the reemphasizing  of the word "exactly" in the second repeat of the question is a clear indicator that she's quite anxious at your appearance, note the wringing of her hands...  Cheesy

If you hadn't answered in such an open and slightly self deprecating manner I could see her walking quietly off... and 10 mins later a 'team of men in black'
taking you quietly away for some obviously much needed help...

She certainly was concerned - it didn't help that I had headphones, a hat, and a helmet over my ears, but she eventually got through to me.

Turns out that she and her brother were quite interested kites - the helmet, etc - less so!  It wasn't until I took that stuff off that they talked to me again.  Smiley

Coolness has to have a voice

So what does Eli think?

I am quite sure he would deny even knowing me if asked who I was while I had the helmet on!  Smiley

For sure, it is NOT cool looking.  In fact, it looks completely ridiculous.

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 04:39 PM »

After her reaction I think we need to see what you look like with that contraption on your head.  Smiley

Sport kite flying looks goofy enough without props.

But seriously, that looked good. Nice flying.

Allen, AKA kitehead
tpatter

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 04:52 PM »

After her reaction I think we need to see what you look like with that contraption on your head.  Smiley

Sport kite flying looks goofy enough without props.

But seriously, that looked good. Nice flying.

I considered posting a shot of what the thing looks like while you are wearing it, but no-one would have gotten past that in order to even look at the video!  Smiley

It suffices to say that you pretty much look like a telletubbie with a large camera strapped onto your head!

But, I think it works much better than wrestling with a tripod if the wind is up or you need to move around alot.  Now, the challenge is to try and make it un-noticable.  I saw a "black friday" sale for a muvi by veho for $50 - the thing is only the size of your thumb and should be able to be held in place with a sweatband.   In other words, I don't think anyone would notice it at all.

I wanted to prove to myself that the idea could even work before buying anything.

-Tom

6 kite tom
coogee

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 02:31 AM »

Hi Tom
          apart from the Blair Witch Project feel it was good to see a POV kite video. The motor racing crowd do it very well with cams on the Moto GP bikes. Great flying and I love the scene with the girl, very geek ahhh... meant sleek ahhh...
      Mike
sbrown
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 11:22 AM »

Nice touch with the end credits!

Sent from my 6 year old laptop using Hunt'n'Peck.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 02:33 PM »

great job tom!! that is also the whitest sand beach i have ever seen looks toasty

have fun kurt
tpatter

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 05:54 PM »

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Got an update - there are a few issues aside from the aesthetics!  Smiley 

I tried flying with this getup yesterday and it is very difficult to simply forget about the helmet and get into the "flow" of flying. In that regard, a tripod is much better - you forget that it is there after awhile and just fly.  Flying with a helmet on just feels (and looks) very unnatural. Then again, VF is not all that often, so it may be bearable for a couple of hours per quarter!  Smiley

I did buy a 2MP clip-able camera for $50 that I will be trying out soon (reasonable quality could be a concern with it).

-Tom

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 10:07 PM »

We've seen some pretty decent video's come off the keychain camera's, same resolution, it's fine for web/youtube. Those clip ons appear to have a better lens then the pinhole used on keychain cams so I'm guessing yours will be better. You can use that clip on for other things too so that's a nice choice but did you check out the eyeglass cams? Same specs as what you got just mounted in a set of sunglasses, clear lenses optional. Not the height of fashion either but not as retro as a headband.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography