GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 09:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help needed to ftp video file  (Read 1694 times)
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: November 26, 2010, 07:24 AM »

need to get a video file to allen in the next day or so

am in china until end of next week so many sites like yousendit.com get blocked by the powers that be and services i can access (like skydrive) have 50Mb upload limits

have around 230Mb of hi dev video for allen and short of sending him a memory stick via fedex i am stuck

i remember in the distant past being able to ftp files to friendly people with such capability

can anyone accept a file from me that he can access

is a kind of special thing and would really appreciate help to make it work

btw - if you can help i will need simple instructions Angry
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:40 AM »

I have a FTP folder that you can use... I can give PC instructions to use, but don't know that much about apple...

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 08:00 AM »

Alternatively you can use something like 7Zip (sourceforge) to split the file into smaller file segments.  Skydrive has a 50MB per file limit, but storage limit is something like 25GB.

Depending on your connection, it reduces the chances of a 200+MB upload throwing a furball, timing out and causing you to restart.

If you have problems with Skydrive, Mozy.com's free accounts are allocated 2GB.

ATB,
Sam

david barnby

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 08:14 AM »

I have a FTP folder that you can use... I can give PC instructions to use, but don't know that much about apple...

gr8

am working with pc not apple so sounds like we could do it - please let me have the instructions - wooo
david barnby

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 08:37 AM »

Alternatively you can use something like 7Zip (sourceforge) to split the file into smaller file segments.  Skydrive has a 50MB per file limit, but storage limit is something like 25GB.

Depending on your connection, it reduces the chances of a 200+MB upload throwing a furball, timing out and causing you to restart.

If you have problems with Skydrive, Mozy.com's free accounts are allocated 2GB.

ATB,
Sam

cheers sam - the files are uploading now to skydrive. the 7-zip.exe install file is only 1mb but it felt like i was back to dial up times waiting for it to download. cool how it works. so i guess i have to get allen to download and install 7-zip so he can join the files up again right?

not to mention working out how he gets to the files on my skydrive

hmm - where is my bed Embarrassed

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:17 AM »

DB... check your PMs...

indigo_wolf

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 09:32 AM »

cheers sam - the files are uploading now to skydrive. the 7-zip.exe install file is only 1mb but it felt like i was back to dial up times waiting for it to download. cool how it works. so i guess i have to get allen to download and install 7-zip so he can join the files up again right?

not to mention working out how he gets to the files on my skydrive

hmm - where is my bed Embarrassed

Yeah.... but 7Zip is too bad.

You can share the folder you have uploaded the files to with Allen.

I have shared a test folder I created with you, and you should be able to get to it here:
https://cid-4a57f6dc1810e68c.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=4A57F6DC1810E68C!424

If Allen has a hotmail account it's painless, haven't tried it with any non-MS emails.

There should be a share/edit permissions links for every file and folder on Skydrive.

ATB,
Sam
david barnby

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 03:54 PM »

sam - bezillion thanks. that works fine

here is the link i sent to allen : http://cid-a6c1b93ceb99686c.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

can you see the files (23 of them) and reassemble the video?

allen hasnt confirmed yet if he can do it - so is good test. maybe once the full file is out of china we can use rob's ftp offer to get it to allen

hmmmm - sorry for all the bother
david barnby

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 06:30 PM »

rob and sam - you are both magic

thanks

both methods implemented - the complete file is with robs ftp site and the seperated files are on the livemail skydrive

really appreciate your help

gee - what a great place this (still) is
 Smiley Smiley Smiley

indigo_wolf

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 01:16 PM »

sam - bezillion thanks. that works fine

can you see the files (23 of them) and reassemble the video?

I was able to download and join all 23 files for a 222 MB MP4 file.

Total time to download and join files was about 5-10 mins on a reasonably fast cable connection.

ATB,
Sam
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 11:57 PM »

Got the file!

Thanks All!

David, you are one determined guy.

I'm glad to be a kiter more then ever.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document