GWTW Forum
July 26, 2014, 10:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Durable Low wind Stunt Kite  (Read 5528 times)
BigD
Trade Count: (0)

« on: November 29, 2010, 08:33 PM »

What is the best durable low wind stunt kite?

I purchased a Beetle for my son this summer, and it is EXTREMELY durable..... trust me, my son has pushed the limits of what a kite should take, but it keeps on going without hesitation.  Amazing durable kite....., but it only flys stable down to around 4 mph.  I would like to know if there is a kite that is durable (similar to the Beetle), but can still fly in 1 - 10 (or 15) mph.

I've heard that Focus Echo is supposed to be a good low wind kite, but what about durability?
What is the wind range of this kite?
http://www.focuskites.com/echo/default.asp

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:58 PM »

for durability, try going with a Skyburner Niknak. It's probably more durable then the Echo, but the echo will take some pretty serious smacks into the ground, trust me. It's also a bigger kite so it'll move slower, giving you more time to think.
Low wind kites are less durable anyways, so use the beetle to hone everything until you can switch and be comfortable. Just my two cents!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
BigD

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:14 AM »

Thank you for the information.

I am very comfortable with the Beetle, and am currently flying an Alpha +..... but would like to get a low wind kite.

I like the Echo, and the fact that I can "create" my own color scheme, but I will look into the Sky Burner NikNak.

Does the Echo have the same wind range as the NikNak?  Just curious.

Anyone else want to share thier experience?

Thanks again.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:06 AM »

The Prism 4D would be an excellent choice.

Allen, AKA kitehead
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 02:07 AM »

I have to agree on the 4D, my son is learning to fly on the 4D, and it's taken a pretty good beating so far. I like to 4D because it's small (like him), has a wide wind range, and very little pull. That's important for a 40 lb. pilot...
If you're looking for a light wind kite for you, the NikNak isn't a bad choice, it was my first light wind / no wind kite. It did take a beating, but the nose ended up pierced by the spine. I prefer it because it's a little bigger. Bigger is better in this case.  Smiley
~Rob.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:40 AM »

+1more on the 4D

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
BigD

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 03:29 PM »

Great information everyone.  Thanks for the help!!
Scott Blake

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 12:55 AM »

Durable and 4D I don't think should be in the same sentence to be honest.  If you get a gust, that could very well be the end of it.  I snapped a spar joint in half (along with the spar inside it) in the right wing on a poorly timed gust of wind - it was a fine wind range...until it wasn't and then that was it.

I like the 4D and all, but I have not got 15 minutes on it and its broken.  If you don't get gusts you might be fine but even crashing it in low wind at a bad angle might break it imho.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 04:20 AM »

I pretty much learned to fly on a Prism Flashlight and broke a lot of leading edges learning to cartwheel it. The nice thing about Prisms is that parts are easy to get and fixing broken leading edges isn't too hard. You have to be more careful with ULs so there IS a chance you might break a leading edge. Don't worry about it and fix it if it happens.

Bob D.
RobB

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:34 AM »

Durable and 4D I don't think should be in the same sentence to be honest.  If you get a gust, that could very well be the end of it.  I snapped a spar joint in half (along with the spar inside it) in the right wing on a poorly timed gust of wind - it was a fine wind range...until it wasn't and then that was it.

I like the 4D and all, but I have not got 15 minutes on it and its broken.  If you don't get gusts you might be fine but even crashing it in low wind at a bad angle might break it imho.
Ummm... the 4D should be good up to 10-15mph... what kinds of winds were you flying in ? If you had a failure at the joint for the leading edges, I would venture to guess that the upper and lower LE weren't seated properly, or the ferrule between them slipped.
If you had a gust that exceeded 15mph, it just wasn't a good day to be out flying the little kite. I've let my son fly the 4D in winds ~8mph and less, and he has yet to break it after a few outings. I am amazed at the durability of the little kite that seems pretty fragile when you assemble it. It has survived a number of screaming death dives that have me closing my eyes, and him squeeling with glee.
Just my experience... if you want to test the durability of anything, give it to a 2 1/2 year old...  Grin

Scott Blake

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 05:36 AM »

Well, I must have been unlucky - it didn't seem like much of a hit to me but I saw the trailing edge fold over on impact.  I was hoping it was just 'popped'.  Nope.  I have not yet taken it apart to see (the rubber grommets kinda are stopping me) but from feel it seems the rod didn't break but the actual metal 'guide' snapped (which of course broke the rod off inside as well).
Tony

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 06:57 AM »

Ummm... the 4D should be good up to 10-15mph... what kinds of winds were you flying in ? If you had a failure at the joint for the leading edges, I would venture to guess that the upper and lower LE weren't seated properly, or the ferrule between them slipped.
If you had a gust that exceeded 15mph, it just wasn't a good day to be out flying the little kite. I've let my son fly the 4D in winds ~8mph and less, and he has yet to break it after a few outings. I am amazed at the durability of the little kite that seems pretty fragile when you assemble it. It has survived a number of screaming death dives that have me closing my eyes, and him squeeling with glee.
Just my experience... if you want to test the durability of anything, give it to a 2 1/2 year old...  Grin

My Initial 4D experience was not a good one - LE furrule broke in half - whilst in first filght (3-5 mph gusty winds) I contacted Prism who advised that they are aware of an issue with "weak" ferrules - and sent me 4 of the new type PLUS 2x T-Pieces (great customer service from Prism)
Besides these issues the 4D in superb in flight albeit a little quick - I like slow and lazy ala Benson DS

I hope this helps you and others...

Kite fliers like to do it in the sky :-)
Scott Blake

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 04:21 AM »

Yup, I liked it in flight...but didn't get enough time with it.  I would need the ferrule and at least one rod and I doubt Prism is going to ship them to me international on a 100 buck kite.  I will have to get Steve to get me the stuff to get it up in the air again.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 11:19 AM »

I really like flying the 4D, but I only ever fly it in 0-3.  I think this kite excels at very low wind, but when you get some wind why not just move to another kite.  I can see the kite flying up to 8-10 if you just want to fly around.

The ferrules on the lower spreader have been a problem - you can call Prism and have them send you a handful.  I actually switched mine out - I created a full length lower spreader form the same carbon rod and switched over to that.  It's nice because it doesn't break and you can actually be more aggressive with the kite for cyniques, multi-lazys, etc without worrying about the LS coming apart. 

I also moved away from using the case it comes in for a simple sleeve.  I tuck the upper spreader into the LE pocket near the top of the kite and the whole thing neatly goes into a sleeve with no concerns of losing parts and I can assemble it in about 45 secs.

I have had good luck with the LE ferrules.

6 kite tom
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 11:57 AM »

I taught my sons (4 and 6 at the time) to fly on 3Ds and was amazed at the punishment those kites were able to take.  I would hope the 4D would be similar.

Ron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document