GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 03:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Durable Low wind Stunt Kite  (Read 5495 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:09 PM »

I taught my sons (4 and 6 at the time) to fly on 3Ds and was amazed at the punishment those kites were able to take.  I would hope the 4D would be similar.

Ron

Aside from the centerT ferrule, I think the kite is very durable.  From the sounds of it, Prism has/is working on a more durable replacement.  The big thing that the current centerT does not like to do is a dead-launch, which is a shame because the kite easily does one.

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 10:23 PM »

I've flown the 4D in eighteen mile an hour gusts, and since there was no contact with terra firma there was no foul other than a slightly warped center tee...........the kite is great for 0 to 12 flying.....newbie/ experienced......no nevermind. A very hardy kite just like the 3 D, IMO...........

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
dihongshao2000
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 10:33 PM »

The ferrules on the lower spreader have been a problem.  I actually switched mine out - I created a full length lower spreader from the same carbon rod and switched over to that.
That is a great idea.  How do you connect your self made lower spreader to the spin?  I simply put some superglue on lower spreaders where they connect to the center T and make them a bit bigger diameter for tighter fit.  If it is too tight, just use sandpaper sand them down a bit until tight fit is achieved.  They do not come apart so far.
tpatter

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 10:44 PM »

The ferrules on the lower spreader have been a problem.  I actually switched mine out - I created a full length lower spreader from the same carbon rod and switched over to that.
That is a great idea.  How do you connect your self made lower spreader to the spin?  I simply put some superglue on lower spreaders where they connect to the center T and make them a bit bigger diameter for tighter fit.  If it is too tight, just use sandpaper sand them down a bit until tight fit is achieved.  They do not come apart so far.

Close - I just took the bit of a standoff that goes around the rod and cut off the standoff part and put it on the center of the carbon rod (with glue as well).  Then, I put the centerT connector in hot water until I could shove the standoff section into it.  It's very secure - many hours flyign now and it does not move.

Your idea is essentially the same.  I have used your technique on female lower spreaders than get worn down from friction inside the rod mostly due to sand I am guessing.  Build it up with 4-5 thin layers of CA and it fits tight as new.

-Tom

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 10:47 PM »

I've flown the 4D in eighteen mile an hour gusts, and since there was no contact with terra firma there was no foul other than a slightly warped center tee...........the kite is great for 0 to 12 flying.....newbie/ experienced......no nevermind. A very hardy kite just like the 3 D, IMO...........

I think I was actually there to witness this if I recall!   It was one of those SUL to vented and back again days!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Tony
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 04:32 PM »

The ferrules on the lower spreader have been a problem - you can call Prism and have them send you a handful.  I actually switched mine out - I created a full length lower spreader form the same carbon rod and switched over to that.  It's nice because it doesn't break and you can actually be more aggressive with the kite for cyniques, multi-lazys, etc without worrying about the LS coming apart. 

Love the advice on the lower spreader (I never thought of that)- can't wait to give it a try! thanks!

Kite fliers like to do it in the sky :-)
tpatter

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 04:58 PM »

Actually, they are now using metal rather than aluminum for the ls, so it's no longer an issue.

6 kite tom
n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 05:20 AM »

Airwave Zero or UL will be nice too...  Wink Wink Wink
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 07:59 AM »

Probably harder to find but the Level One Easy Lite is a terrific lower wind kite.

Not an SUL but flys nicely in 2.5 to 3 up.  It is a 5' footer but is not "twitchy" like many smaller kites.  It is framed in 4mm carbon so very robust and good overall wind range.  Typical build quality on a Level One kites is very good.  The Easy Lite is a blast to fly in small spaces on 25' lines.  The only drawback is the lower spreader is one piece on a swivel center-T so the kite does not break down small for travel. (if that is a concern)

I have had one in my bag for years and it never fails to bring a kite happy face.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 07:28 AM »

My first low wind kite was a 4D. Flew it quite a bit, didn't care for the small size and the twitchy behavior, probably mostly due to the size. I just got a Niknak, and what a difference. The Niknak is big, smooth, easy to fly, and not twitchy at all.  Built very well, and should last forever.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 05:25 PM »

I pretty much learned to fly on a Prism Flashlight...The nice thing about Prisms is that parts are easy to get...

+1on the Flashlight..
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

etully
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 07:24 PM »

+1 on the Nik Nak.  It is still made.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document