GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stranger Level 7 WT;)...  (Read 1076 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 03, 2010, 09:57 PM »

Hey all,

So thanks to Kevin  Smiley, for good or bad I'm now the owner of a Flexfoil Stranger Level 7 designed by Andy Preston, or  The SL7...

I have always wanted to give it a go, the bits and pieces I'd read said it was a totally different flying experience.

So I thought I might just see if there was any more out there on this kite, you know the stuff, pics history, opinions, tips and videos etc.

I have had it in the air, that's all I'll say at this point (it was for 5 mins and i think that's all need be said Huh yes it's still in one piece, but my mind isn't Huh).

« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:14 PM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
Scotty
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:07 PM »

...I noticed these the other day...

Stranger Level 7 Instructional Video (1/2)

Stranger Level 7 Instructional Video (2/2)

...the second one seems to get a bit more into setup...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 11:23 PM by Scotty » Logged
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:24 PM »

So I thought I might just see if there was any more out there on this kite, you know the stuff, pics history, opinions, tips and videos etc.

I think that it's generally accepted that this kite was~is better as an idea than a reality. The review in Kite Passion ended with the hopeful thought that it "will probably end up as a classic with one in every discerning kite flyer’s bag" but plenty of these kites are very low mileage even today, 12 years or so on. I can recall plenty of people who bought them new and didn't~haven't taken them out of the wardrobe since that first summer.

Whatever new flight and trick wise it brought to the party back then was very quickly available elsewhere on more conventional and well-rounded offerings. Its sheer quirkiness quickly became a liability, rather than a selling point. If you did manage to break one then repairing it could be a chore.

I have some videos stored away at home that I could look for if no-one else comes forward before I get back there.

I honestly don't care for it but am impressed that something so other can be made to work at all, much like the Utopia.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 02:50 AM »

Many of the tricks opened up by the SL7 became accessible by other kites, I don't think any other delta wing dual line ever achieved the 3D capabilities though.

Interesting that you equate it with the Utopia. I liked the Utopia right off,  but I disliked the SL7 right off. Where the Utopia is an extremely precise kite I didn't feel I had any control over the SL7. Shows how different fliers can walk away with totally differing experiences. I've seen the video's though and been impressed by those who have managed to figure the beast out.

I hope you have fun with it ... it had more fun with me  Cheesy  we all had a good laugh at each others expense when Steve brought one out.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:01 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change