GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 06:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D Kites  (Read 1681 times)
flyjay77
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 07, 2010, 11:18 PM »

I think of myself as a good pilot , I have been flying for a long time but most of my kites are 20+ years old , 3D flying was just starting to take off when I quit flying and now starting to fly again I am looking at the kites but have no idea what to buy . I have been buying up many old school stuff but have no idea what to buy new .
Whats good . will a Quantum fly or do what a
Quantum Pro will do ? what is the diffrance besides $200.00? I want to try this new flying but dont want to get any jusk but again having never done it before dont want to buy a high dolllor kite if I dont have to .. whats your views ?

Jason,

Jason Pearson
Shorline Park Mt. View Ca.
1987-1990 pilot
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:37 AM »

I'm assuming that 3D is referring to pitch based trick, such as yo-yo, crazy copter and the likes?

Price versus performance, there is a noticeable difference between a $100 kite and a $300.00 one. On the more expensive kites, they are easier to trick, and they generally have better feedback. Above $300 its more about flying style, then performance.

Most $300 kites are pitch friendly and can roll up fairly easily. The one that stands out to me, is the Talon. It is a very easy kite to roll up. Even when inputs are off, the Talon will still roll up.

Jay
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:07 AM »

For a little less than $300 take a good look at the Flying Wings Soul. Great kite. Top class materials and build quality. Very good precision and it'll do any trick you can throw at it. Fades beautifully, rolls up on the spot and it's a very smooth kite to fly. A little bigger and less frantic than the Talon/Deepspace.

For a slightly cheaper option the FW Silver Fox range are good too, but not quite as good as the Soul.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:12 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 08:57 AM »

There is a huge difference between how a Quantum and Quantum Pro tricks. The Quantum Pro can do quite a bit trick wise, the Quantum, not so much. Although both Prisms, these kites are similar in name and not how they fly / trick.

If you're spending Quantum Pro money, there are many kites for that price or less that will trick very well. Off the top of my head, here are a few kites that are QP or less in price that trick easy / well:

Transformer
Saber II
Widow Maker or a Widow
Deep Space

There are so many others, try to find a local club and get together with them. There is nothing like trying a kite for yourself.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:54 AM »

Just a few suggestions--

Higher priced (220-300ish) -
BMK Exile, Mamba (ken has updated this kite, and it'll do everything in the book)
Skyburner Ocius, Widowmaker
Saber 2
Focus Hydra

For less money (150-200)--
-Premier Widow
-John Baressi has a new kite coming out that will be worth your while to look into forsure.
-Silver Fox 2.5's
-Soul

Welcome back to flying  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
flyjay77

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:07 AM »

I dont really have a club I guess near me . I have been flying by myself . I am in Southern IL . although I am thinking of taking my bag with me to a family reunion late June in CA. and flying SF. and Shorline park Mt.View . All My old stomping grounds . kind of trip down memory lane . maybe while I am out I can try a kite or 2. I would realy like to try one before I drop 3 bills on one... but I think I will like it and pick it up well . Thank you all for the feedback .

Watching some youtube video ... The soul looks great ? will that work when I get ready to buy ? or should I stay top end ?

Jason Pearson
Shorline Park Mt. View Ca.
1987-1990 pilot
rxburner
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 10:32 AM »

Cut through all the preliminaries and pick up a Sea Devil, you won't be sorry.
Rx
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 10:39 AM »

Watching some youtube video ... The soul looks great ? will that work when I get ready to buy ? or should I stay top end ?

The Soul will do everything you see on the videos, not in my hands, but mine was recently flown by someone who could really fly and I was  Huh.  Even I can manage to look passable with this kite!
It isn't exactly a 'boutique' kite, but although it's from Taiwan it isn't made in the FW factory but instead is made by designer Bell Chiu's personal crew and the attention to detail really shows. It's very close to Boutique quality for not much more than factory prices. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03 PM »

What no one suggested a Stranger Level 7??? it literally flies in 3 dimensions not just tricks in them!!!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 08:59 PM »

If you are looking to get into some of the newer tricks, and don't want to break the bank to start with, take a look in the Swap Meet.

One kite that I continue to recommend to people looking to move into tricks for not too much money is the Premier Nighthawk. Stick about 13gm in the tail and you will have a (still) very serviceable trick kite.

A Blue Moon Exile, whether new or used, would not be a bad idea - especially as it goes a long way towards accommodating pilots of different skill levels.
n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 10:53 AM »

FW Soul will be very nice kite on a budget...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document