GWTW Forum
September 15, 2014, 02:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quadline for a newbie: Rev or Spiderkite tarantula?  (Read 2377 times)
kaiyao
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 08, 2010, 03:41 AM »

Hi guys i'm new to quadline.. now thinking of acquiring my 1st ever quad line kite. Should i go for a rev because everyone else is flying one or should i go for a spiderkite tarantula which i seem to fall in love at first sight?? need some opinions pls Smiley greatly appreciate any replies Smiley

thanks guys!
Kai Yao
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 04:08 AM »

I don't know about the Spiderkite but the Rev is the standard that most people measure quads against. (I had wanted a Benson Airbow but I'm glad I went with the Rev B Series. The B Series is an amazing flier - smooth and precise. The Airbow never really caught on even though I still think it looks amazing.)

Bob D.
kaiyao

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 04:12 AM »

hahah thanks man i see.. so in your opinion the B series is okay for a beginner to start out with?  Smiley
REVflyer

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:36 AM »

hahah thanks man i see.. so in your opinion the B series is okay for a beginner to start out with?  Smiley

YES! B-Series (or their "Pro" model) is certainly appropriate for any pilot, a rank beginner or the expert master-class competitor
Lex B

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 01:01 PM »

Although most of the quad flying pilots wil surely say "Rev!!!!!"
There's the "try before you buy" principle.
Most pilots wil be happy to lend you a kite to experience how it feels/flies for yourself.
Guess, there's someone in your suroundings.

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:05 PM »

kaiyao:
do i see the new vampire quad in your profile picture?   
You can learn on ANY quad line kite....the basic maneuvers will transfer from one to another easily enough....the finite movements might end up being different but the basics are the same for all of the quad lines out there.......

Grab the first quad line kite you can afford and go from there....you can always upgrade if you want to...and you can always use your first one to teach others on...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:07 PM »

The spider kite Tarantula is the high end Volksquad . It's a little smaller but lighter. 

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Jim Foster

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 02:44 PM »

Go for the Rev.  Don't mess around, waste time and money, frustrate yourself, the list goes on and on.

Get a Rev B series, find someone to help you learn, and enjoy the ride.

Disclaimer........  Only do this if you want your life to change.  Trust me, it will.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 11:35 PM »

Go for the Rev.  Don't mess around, waste time and money, frustrate yourself, the list goes on and on.
Get a Rev B series, find someone to help you learn, and enjoy the ride.

"Disclaimer........  Only do this if you want your life to change.  Trust me, it will".

You can say that again... and again... etc., etc...

I agree... Go for the Rev B! ...and allow yourself a little time and a whole lot of patience when learning... When you finally have it dancing in the blue you'll understand what being a member of the Dark-Side really means!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
kaiyao

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 04:05 AM »

guys really appreciate the replies!! hmm Thief bro its not a quad.. rather its a SLK.. also by flying wings though. its my first ever kite. i love it so much the vampdevil! OK the B series is the way to go for me!  Cheesy thx for the enlightenment  Smiley
Bob D

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 04:28 AM »

Now that you got that settled, a standard, vented or mid-vent? If you want to try it before putting a lot of money into it, I'd go with the standard. It will go low enough that you'll be able to fly when there's some wind blowing and it will go high enough so that you'll want to put it away because you're afraid something might break. (They're tough but you'll feel it when it starts to really pull. Put it away then.)

I got a mid-vent with race rods. The standard might go a bit lower but the mid vent will fly in about the same wind but give you a higher wind max with the vent and still fly like a standard. The vent will also smooth out bumpy wind too. It's more money to get a mid vent with race rods but it's worth it.

The vented Rev is okay but even though they say you can fly it in 20+ mph wind, that just seems too ballistic to me. Some people like high wind though. The down side to the vented is that it WILL need a bit more wind for it to fly and if you're just learning you don't want to learn when it's really blowing hard.

Bob D.
sunsetflyers
Trade Count: (+76)

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 05:04 AM »

i have a couple pm sent

Steve & Sherri
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document