GWTW Forum
September 22, 2014, 09:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Expensive At The Top (Not Kite Related)  (Read 5299 times)
kitenut75
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 12:35 AM »

Here's more, Oakley's C-Six sunglasses cost US$1,500 a pair and the new Tron Limited Edition Pit Boss wil set you back US$750  Huh

[attachment deleted by admin]

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 10:40 AM »

And I thought my golf clubs and various shafts were expensive.....
kiwi49er
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 12:24 PM »

Coast Guard just shelled out $3200 for my newest set of wet weather gear.   Shocked
Wish I hadn't seen the invoice.  I feel bad for thrashing the last set now.

Andrew
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 01:03 PM »

Custom handmade anything...price is usually worth every penny. 

Custom knives...worth it IMHO.

Custom flashlights...like the Tri V (although that price is the 'MSRP' price when there are only about 30 in existence currently)...totally a one man design, hand made limited production home project...worth it IMHO. 

These things, just like our kites, represent man hours of design, dreaming...prototyping...creation...that's what I pay for in all of them.

Now, a 25K belt buckle is not something I'd ever own, but a Tri-V might be coming my way soon.  I have McGizmo lights, so this is the logical next step for me Smiley

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 03:18 PM »

Mmmmm.... Chris Reeves Mnandi....  Undecided

Custom flashlights...like the Tri V (although that price is the 'MSRP' price when there are only about 30 in existence currently)...totally a one man design, hand made limited production home project...worth it IMHO. 

Now, a 25K belt buckle is not something I'd ever own, but a Tri-V might be coming my way soon.  I have McGizmo lights, so this is the logical next step for me Smiley

obi

While a lot of the McGizmo lights are awesome, there's something about the Sapphire 25 that keeps drawing me back... Roll Eyes

Hope you are using the CPF discount to knock about a grand off the Tri-V's MSRP.

ATB,
Sa,
Schook
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 05:59 PM »

Next time ask how much the boots cost.  Shocked

The Hat the Boots and the complete outfit.

My Wife and 2 daughters show Quarter horses so John,
Yes I do indeed know the price of the the clothes, now add in the equipment costs (saddles, bridles, blankets, etc, etc) the price of the truck and trailer to haul them, feed, vet bills and such  Cry Cry Cry

And yet I still feel guilty asking for a new kite now and then.  Huh

"The wise will listen; and the other wise will do otherwise"
kiteclique
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 06:04 PM »

A shotgun from Fabbri

or Purdy perhaps ?

-Frazer
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:07 PM by kiteclique » Logged
rxburner
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58 PM »

Starting @ $200,000

http://www.virgingalactic.com/overview/space-tickets/

Rx
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 05:40 AM »

Don't know what this is ? It's about the same as an awful lot of these pricey items listed here in terms of value for money, usefulness, P-T-Barnum-was-a-visionary-osity.

Mike,
cynic.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2010, 08:11 AM »

Don't know what this is ? It's about the same as an awful lot of these pricey items listed here in terms of value for money, usefulness, P-T-Barnum-was-a-visionary-osity.

Aw, c'mon, the iPhone isn't that big a ripoff.   Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 10:14 AM »

It's the app, not the iPhone.

Brett

Brett

formally known as grantb
quintum

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2010, 08:43 AM »

These things, just like our kites, represent man hours of design, dreaming...prototyping...creation...that's what I pay for in all of them.

obi

Well, when it is justifiable it is one thing, but high tech (and increasingly, hand-made) for its own sake is the mass-man's kitsch, now as ever.  There were always Beatle freaks whose stereos costs 5X more than all the Beatles' equipment combined ever cost them. The problem is the technology in many cases was often more useful when not as efficient, and now e.g. the only people making tubes are grandma bubushkas somewhere in Russia so you are forced to pay the premium for an unused good old Philips 6L6 for your guitar amplifier to sound any good.  Then there is what were original Germanium vs the newer Silicon transistors meant to replace what was historically meant to replace the tube technology. Believe it or not this is crucial to musicians who can tell you exactly what year Hendrix was playing any particular song from the sound of his effects, so now you buy something that was once the 'plain Jane' standard that is now fancy 'boutique' with the correcponding price, and so on, more than you could list.   

The good news is that it hard to lawn dart a fuzzbox, and there is a small market for some of these things.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:15 AM by quintum » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document