GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pull Line weight  (Read 1378 times)
donaldrke
Trade Count: (+10)

« on: December 13, 2010, 06:43 PM »

The question I was pondering was line weight, I know that you use different line weights for different conditions ie. wind. What does a kite when flying normal (just flying no pulling or tricking). I understand that each kite is different, but I'm sure there is some type of standard.

Say a HQ Shadow at 9 mph wind pulls how much on the line set.

Prism 3d at 3 mph pull?

and so on.

Donald in the mountains of Virginia

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:47 PM »

"What does a kite when flying normal..."

Your question(s) are not very clear.

Do you want to know how hard a kite pulls in what wind? Depends on the kite and depends on the wind. Manufactures usually include recommended line strength with their kites. They also publish lower and upper wind speed.

Its also depends on how save you want to be and how you fly. I usually pick the kite based on the wind. Perhaps a Shadow in low wind and a nice vent in upper winds. As such, I can almost always fly with 60lbs line. A heavier line will serve to slow the kite down a bit and also provide a larger buffer against breaking a line.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
donaldrke

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:43 PM »

Could of word the question better. a few commas missing. I know the manufacture do have a recommended line but they seem to be all over the place in numbers.

Simply put "How hard does a kite pull in a given wind"  Need to get a few lines set to have around and find that it gets confusing very quickly,  length and weight.  What is a great starting place.  Around here the wind vary from 0-15 and changes constantly.

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:47 PM »

Simply put "How hard does a kite pull in a given wind"
What kite and what "given' wind? A 3d in gale force winds or a full vent Rev in 2mph winds? You see the point?

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:58 PM »

Get yourself a
50 pound set for light wind.
90 pound set for moderate wind
150 pound set for high wind.
You'll find that you will use the 90 pound set the most, 3-15 mph
50 pound set for UL's < 3 mph and the 150 pound set when you want to cut figures in high wind. 15 mph +

that should cover you for all your kites Smiley

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:32 PM »

Some kites just pull much harder than others.

The Shadow for example pulls pretty hard for its size and the low wind that I generally fly it in.  It has a very solid feel on the lines.  In 9mph you are beyond what I would fly mine in unless it happened to be the only kite that I had with me and I really wanted to fly.

The 3D and 4D barely pull at all, but they get very fast as the wind starts to blow.

I think most of us fly 90# line the vast majority of the time.

6 kite tom
donaldrke

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:28 AM »

thank you that is the kinda of information I was looking for.

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
rxburner
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 03:56 PM »

90 lb X 85 ft = 90% of the time
50 lb X 85 ft = 08% of the time
An ice cold martini = 02% of the time
(I can't remember the last time I used 150 lb line)
Rx
donaldrke

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:39 PM »

As a newbie here learning I do appreciate all of the answers. The only information I find is on the internet and the few people I talk to from online kite stores. I have so many questions.  I have been out flying even in 30 degree weather, I guess you would say I got the kite bug.  I need and want to learn more, so please forgive me for asking questions that may seem dumb.

Donald

Member of Got Wind?
Donald
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:55 PM »

As a newbie here learning I do appreciate all of the answers. The only information I find is on the internet and the few people I talk to from online kite stores. I have so many questions.  I have been out flying even in 30 degree weather, I guess you would say I got the kite bug.  I need and want to learn more, so please forgive me for asking questions that may seem dumb.

Donald

Don,
Please feel free to ask. We have ALL been at that stage at one point or another. Another source of info here is doin a search to unearth some good info.
if you have any question, or anyone lurking reading this, please ask
Cuz it's snowy out and I can't fly Cry

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 07:04 AM »

What everybody above said, lengths is preference, RX's 85' is a good length. I just use line sets that come with "Ready to Fly" consumer kites in hiigh winds, they're usually 80-110' in the 120-150 lb range, since I don't need them often investing in a quality set hasn't been a priority and once stretched and balanced I've found them satisfactory.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:06 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum