GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 11:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mongoose/Talon  (Read 3093 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 03:47 PM »

Thanks for the comments Paolo,  however I just don't find 'slow' attractive.  The Little Sister was quick, sensitive, and nowhere near as forgiving as my larger kites.  My slower, more forgiving larger kites never came out of the bag as long as there was enough wind for the LS.

If you like a kite that is agile and can trick as fast as you like while also being very forgiving, take a look at the Transformer - its like driving a highly tuned sports car.

6 kite tom
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 04:21 PM »

Transformer TTL....you won't need another kite.
 Flys good in 4mph on up, and it looks back at you too  Cool

"Do what you like"
DonB
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 04:32 PM »

If you like a kite that is agile and can trick as fast as you like while also being very forgiving, take a look at the Transformer - its like driving a highly tuned sports car.

Thanks Tom,  it does sound really nice, too bad about the ugly graphics.  Smiley  If I still lived on Bainbridge Island I'd come over to kite hill and see if I could get a test flight.  Nice writeup on it in your Transformer thread.

Transformer TTL....you won't need another kite.
 Flys good in 4mph on up, and it looks back at you too  Cool

Thanks Ezme6, I really didn't care for the 'looking back' bit!

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 04:50 PM »

Intesting stuff Winterdaze, thank for sharing it.  Do you think the change effects the flight aesthetics or just the feel?  Thanks for the offer on the Talons. I've thought of taking a trip to Sydney or Melbourne (I'm about half way between them near Merimbula) to hopefully sample some goodies.

Hey Don,

Merimbula, that would have to be a great place to fly kites  Cool I think either head down south (and SW) or up to Brissy as good places to aim... I'm not sure about Sydney for a freestyle following, happy to be corrected though, also look at kite festivals, they tend to attract a few of us to most of them...

Now to Talon flight characteristics...

Hmmm, tricky for me as my first one was a very early version and I beat that up bad, so I think me and that one, over 2+ years, had somewhat evolved together. The new one (about a month old) is tighter so there's a bit in that I'm thinking, but with a change to the LLE as well (tapered Black Diamond Nitros) the lower mass has changed a bit, has it gained or lost anything? I don't think so, is it different (from my old one)? Yes. By much? A medium sized little bit...    Roll Eyes

I guess I took about 2-3 hours to shift most of the muscle memory round, the outcome is that I'm not looking to pull the old one out in a hurry... I like the new one...

WinterDaze AoF
Ace

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 05:38 PM »

Merimbula is a graet place to fly! Good memories holidaying there a couple of yers ago. Also got a kite shop there (hope it's still there) and regular fly's every week. Smiley

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
DonB

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 06:02 PM »

Thanks Winterdaze,  there is a lot of nice beach around that is pretty empty.

Merimbula is a graet place to fly! Good memories holidaying there a couple of yers ago. Also got a kite shop there (hope it's still there) and regular fly's every week. Smiley

Hi Ace.  Unfortunately the kite shop closed a couple of years ago. A couple times I went to the kite fly's, was surprised that it only took a few minutes before the body remembered what to do after a 10 year break!  The AKS site mentions a monthly kite fly a little ways up the coast in Tathra, I'm going to call tonight and see if it's on next week.

Cheers,

Don
DonB

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 06:40 PM »

Hi Barry, thanks for the info.

... the cost of a single K2 landed in Australia was over $600.00 AUD 
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Glad I didn't have my heart set on a K2!

Don, after reading through this thread I cannot but help thinking have you considered the Benson Deep Space. If not, would be worth looking into before you commit.

If you make it to Melbourne we can arrange for a range of kites for you try. Hope we meet up one day.

I did take a look at the DS but decided against it for a number of reasons, none of which may be particularly valid. Things like the graphic design, a less than positive experience with my Phantom (I finally figured out the sail wasn't symetrical), etc. Not being able to fly the kites leaves me looking for reasons to exclude choices since I can't base my decision on hands-on experience.  I could drive myself nuts with too many choices.

One kite that has caught my eye since I started this thread is the JJF, in Excalibur UL or Matzel flavour. From what I've read and seen in videos it seems like a possible fit. Anyone have comments on this one?

My first new kite will let me see how much I get back into kiting.  If I do start looking for more kites I would take you up on your kind offer.

Cheers,

Don

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 06:43 PM by DonB » Logged
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 12:34 AM »

If you're looking for a *fast* kite do be aware that one of the great things about the Mongoose is its speed control, the fact that it doesn't get silly fast and pull your arms off as the wind increases...

Given that you're choosing based on videos and recommendations, why not buy 2nd hand and maybe try 2 or even 3 for the price of a new kite? Much less of a risk that way.

I'm sure there must be a few for sale in Australia so you can avoid all the import duties and taxes too

DonB

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 01:49 AM »

Thanks again for your comments Ian.

If you're looking for a *fast* kite do be aware that one of the great things about the Mongoose is its speed control, the fact that it doesn't get silly fast and pull your arms off as the wind increases...

That speed control is a plus factor. There's a lot I like about the Mongoose, besides, I came up with a really striking 'Redback' design for one after a couple hours on the colourizer.  Cool

Given that you're choosing based on videos and recommendations, why not buy 2nd hand and maybe try 2 or even 3 for the price of a new kite? Much less of a risk that way.

I'm sure there must be a few for sale in Australia so you can avoid all the import duties and taxes too

I looked around on eBay Oz & US and all the forums I could find for used kites before I started this thread.  I haven't found any yet in Oz, there are a couple on another forum but one bloke only has 4 posts, and the other wants almost 80% of new cost when shipping is factored in.  I'll keep looking but it doesn't look too promising.  Sad

One thing that occurred to me while looking at used kites is that if the kite I get just doesn't work out I can probably sell or trade for something else without taking too big of a loss as long as the kite I get is seen as desirable. 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:35 AM by DonB » Logged
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 06:28 AM »

I have to say that K2 is a great kite slow, tricky, precise, forgiving, for sure at the same level of a Nirvana, maybe a little better IMHO.

The K2 is a fine looking kite, but after looking into purchasing one earlier this year I have to report that the purchasing process is a P.I.A. (no PayPal). By the time all requirements to process payment were met, the cost of a single K2 landed in Australia was over $600.00 AUD  Sad. Taking into account the many fine kites on the market today that can be purchased in the $300 to $400 AUD price range all up, the K2 pricing is way past the pause_and_think_about_it zone.

Barry.

If that is the price I can only agree with you, the actual price here in italy is 289 (389 AU$) that's in the range you stated, but the payment way chosen by CHS and shipping upside down adds a lot of money indeed, too much for me too. It's a real pity because the K2 is really a great kite. I bought mine used (less than 1 year of life, in great shape) for 180 shipped (242 AU$)

Paolo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document