GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Notebook computers  (Read 1564 times)
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: November 25, 2010, 02:10 PM »

don't know a thing about them, but all look pretty much the same. Don't need it for much more than email, webcam/mic and web search. Doing some long distance travel soon. Smiley

any suggestions?

"Do what you like"
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:55 PM »

IMO pretty much anything out there nowadays will be overkill for your stated needs. If it were me I'd consider buying a decent USB webcam and headset and a cordless mouse.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Old Greebo
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:28 PM »

I bought myself an Asus eee netbook for my 7-week trip to Australia earlier this year.
Is that what you mean?
Netbook?
Or do you equate 'notebook' with 'laptop'?

I'll assume you do mean 'netbook', since they weigh about 1kg less than a laptop, which is important if you'll be doing a lot of air travel.   BUT if you wanted to augment it with a small mouse, and an external usb-connected dvd drive, you'd be giving up much of the weight advantage anyway.   You really would need the external dvd drive if you wanted to load any useful progs, like Office.   Also, you'd need a model of netbook that had a proper hdd in it, with a useful capacity..  The cheaper netbooks use tiny, solid-state chips instead of proper hard disks.
Frankly, my own little netbook got dumped in a drawer once I got back home from Oz.  It was one of the more expensive ones, but it's a toy really.  I wish I'd taken my Compaq Presario 61 laptop with me instead.  The weight penalty would have been insignificant compared with the ability to do proper computing.  And I wouldn't have wasted the equivalent of $450 on a superfluous netbook plus associated bits & pieces.
Netbooks mostly seem to run on Windows 95.   (oops, no, sorry, it's Windows XP.   Almost as bad.).  But that's not a big problem.  For me, the main disadvantage of the netbook (compared with my laptop) was the small screen.  Several websites seemed unhappy with it.   And if you want to load a game or two, to keep you busy in the small hours, forget it!   Even the older games seem unwilling to run on my little netbook.

And if you want to use it for storing digital camera pics, make sure it's got a slot for your camera's SD card.

From what you say your needs are, wouldn't your money be better spent on an android phone or an I-phone?   I don't have the faintest idea what they are, of course, but I ather they will do most (or all?) of the tasks you mention in your OP.
in.divi.dual
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 06:30 PM »

don't know a thing about them, but all look pretty much the same. Don't need it for much more than email, webcam/mic and web search. Doing some long distance travel soon. Smiley

any suggestions?
Personally, I'd just take some books that you've been meaning to read ... and soak up that Indonesian culture  Wink
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 07:50 PM »

any suggestions?
Personally, I'd just take some books that you've been meaning to read ... and soak up that Indonesian culture  Wink

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cool Cool Cheesy Cheesy

"Do what you like"
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 02:29 PM »

What Steve said, almost anything out there today will suit your stated needs.

I would agree though unless you truly need the portability of a Netbook I would opt for a regular note book with a 14" -15.6" screen as suggested above. But one big attraction of the netbooks is they are small enough you don't even have to take it out of your luggage during airport security that's a bonus when traveling.

Some of the "Doorbuster" sales I'm seeing today are limited, even on full size models. Here's a couple things I steered away from last year when looking for a netbook. Some of the deep bargan full size models are coming with netbook specs now.

The Atom processor, unless all you truly require is a "netbook" for email. I read then that they have problems with Flash which could make much of the web challenging. I upgraded my "requirements to a Celeron Mobile processor because of the Flash thing. There are more advanced Atom processors out now, I haven't researched them.

Also I chose to steer away from Windows 7 Starter Edition, you may still find it on some "bargain books", it's somewhat crippled and Microsoft is counting on anybody stuck with it paying to upgrade in the future.

Upgrading my netbook requirements to a minimum Celeron and full Windows 7 cost me only $100 more on sale. But as a bonus I got an 11.6" display rather then an 8" to 10", 2 gig of memory and a 250 gig hard drive while retaining 5-9 hours battery life depending on power savings settings, a full size keyboard and a usable size trackpad with the buttons under it where they should be. Plus it's still small enough to go through airport security without inspection.

For an inexpensive & decent basic full size look in the $450 - $600 list range, you should find sale prices around $300 - $550 right now. About the minimum spec to accept at the low range for a full size would be a dual core processor, 2 gig of RAM, a 250 gig hard drive and Windows 7 Home 32 bit. At the upper end look for 4 gig memory, a 320-500 gig drive & windows 7 64 bit.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:25 PM »

Awhile ago (like a year ago) I bought an HP dm3t based notebook (technically still a notebook just lacking a dvd-rom) ...

It is one my smallest and most portable laptops and always the first choice when traveling... my wife takes her eee but its too small for me... but at least not as heavy as the Dell M4500

the HP is tiny, thin, lightweight and has great battery life ..... everything you really need and at a great price
HP Pavilion dm3t Series

yeah i know its an HP but who cares .... plus mine actually has great build quality...

and for the haters out there...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change