GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 10:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low price Laptop?  (Read 2582 times)
firecsi
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: December 14, 2010, 06:02 PM »

Looking at this laptop. Just want it for Email, You tube (Kite Video's) and web fun. Do you think it would be ok?

What's Included

* Toshiba Satellite Laptop / Intel® Celeron® Processor / 15.6" Display / 2GB Memory / 250GB Hard Drive
    * 6-cell lithium-ion battery
    * 65W AC adapter
    * Software: Microsoft Silverlight, Microsoft Live Essentials; Adobe Acrobat Reader
    * Owner's manual

Product Features

* Intel® Celeron® processor 900
      Features an 800MHz frontside bus, 1MB L2 cache and 2.2GHz processor speed.
    * 2GB DDR3 memory
      For multitasking power, expandable to 4GB.
    * Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
      Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
    * 15.6" TFT-LCD high-definition widescreen display
      With TruBrite technology and 1366 x 768 resolution offers easy navigation and delivers intense detail and clarity. Native support for 720p content.
    * 250GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
      For fast read/write times.
    * Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
      Features 128-829MB dynamically allocated shared video memory for lush images and intense detail.
    * Media reader
      Supports Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, miniSD and MultiMediaCard formats.
    * 2 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
      For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
    * Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
      Connect to the Internet on the go.
    * Built-in 10/100 Ethernet LAN
      With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web connection.
    * Weighs 5.5 lbs. and measures just 1.5" thin
      For easy portability. Built-in keypad for efficient numeral entry.
    * Long battery life
      Of up to 4 hours and 35 minutes to give you more time away from an outlet.
    * Trax texture
      With a black finish for a stylish look.
    * Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
      Provides a stable computing platform.
    * Best Buy pc app
      Your one-stop shop for digital software, games and more! Learn more.
    * Software package included
      With Microsoft Silverlight, Microsoft Live Essentials and Adobe Acrobat Reader. Microsoft Office Starter 2010 also included (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
    * ENERGY STAR qualified
      Designed to use less energy and meets strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the Environmental Protection Agency and U.S. Department of Energy.
    * Intel, Pentium, Celeron, Centrino, Core, Viiv, Intel Inside and the Intel Inside logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:14 PM »

/my 2 cents; not bad for what your looking to do. I like a little more ram for speed, you could go over 4gb with win7 64 bit. Hate being plugged in? then i would look at would be a bigger battery if there even is one, if your close to an outlet and dont mind it plugged in then it doesnt matter as much. Next is weight, gonna care it around alot? Clumsy? get a warranty. Beyond that you can check online for support or reviews. I buy alot of computer stuff online from tigerdirect. I just finished a dvr for about $300 but laptops are different there is not alot of upgrade with them short of adding ram, buying new or bigger batteries or rarely a bigger hd. If you are goin to best buy then see if they will let you "play with it" or "test drive the ergonomics of it"; get a chair and sitdown with it in your lap, type something while in the chair, feel how heavy it is to carry etc...
Also too if your going to carry it around alot, buy a good padded bag, it saves on wear and tear.
/my 2 cents, ymmv

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 07:21 PM »

Fine for what you've stated, it might be a little hesistant on video's with a Celeron and the Intel Graphics, things like Hulu and Netflix will definately have some dropped frames. This Netbook it about those specs and I only have problems with Hulu and that is liveable but you do notice some dropped frames. I don't know that more RAM would help with that problem, it's more that full screen high def video is pushing the limits of the processor and graphics chips. What you'll find on You Tube runs fine on mine.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:43 PM »

Can't say anything good or bad about this particular Toshiba.
I am on my second Satellite series laptop in seven years.  Both of them had the same problem.  The power cord broke about an inch from the computer end.  The first thing I would do, is wrap the first six-eight inches of cord with electrical tape.
Jerry
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:45 PM »

DD makes a lot of good points.... all things you should consider...

So I was about to comment that it would be more than adequate for your expected uses.... and then i noticed the 900mhz celeron.... for comparison my phone is faster than that (1ghz snapdragon) ..... everything else in the specs is fine but i would look for something (and i can't believe I am about to recommend it) in the i3 or i5 class..... the processors offer better power management with higher speeds.... watching video does take processor power and will be more pleasurable with something over 1ghz...

got a price range?

for anything decent $500 is going to be a good place to look there are a lot available for about that price...

if you can handle a smaller screen size (11" screens are actually pretty decent) then the dm1z class is nice (this is AMD based which is a good thing)

in the larger size, and prolly a better fit for you... is the lower end dell inspirons like this one all the power you need in a decent battery span and at a decent price. plus its a 15" notebook. it is however much heavier than the dm1z

above $500
want to be fashionable and _think_ everyone around you envies you for spending too much on a netbook? you can always get one of these

want a ridiculously fast machine with more horse power than you could ever use... that weighs a ton and has terrible battery life.... but its sickeningly fast.... there is always the Dell M4500 ... I have one for work and its wicked (quad core i7 and 8GB of ram with an SSD boot drive.... <3 it)

the gist of all this?...... look at machines like the first 2.... you won't be disappointed but 900mhz just doesn't cut it ne more....

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 07:55 PM »

Look at an iPad - its practically all I use anymore and certainly does the items you listed.   It's MUCH better for browsing than a laptop.

If you need to type alot, you can even get a bluetooth keyboard for it.

6 kite tom
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 07:56 PM »

oh and something in the middle of the road that packs a serious punch....
Asus N61JV

don't worry if you have never heard of Asus.... they make amazing hardware... I've had the laptop I am using right now for several years and its still wicked fast.... Never had a problem ever with an Asus laptop....

Acer makes great laptops too if you find one in the price range you want...

Ang3lFir3

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 07:57 PM »

Look at an iPad - its practically all I use anymore and certainly does the items you listed.   It's MUCH better for browsing than a laptop.

If you need to type alot, you can even get a bluetooth keyboard for it.

Except for watching Flash movies ...... <sadtrombone/>
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 08:24 PM »

True - but I have yet to find that to be an issue.  In fact, I rather like the fact that flash doesn't work - the vast majority of flash apps seem to be annoying ad-related items on badly designed web pages.

If you want Flash, then look at an Android-based tablet.   

Honestly, I think I have bought my last laptop.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:30 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 06:51 AM »

And I hate to say this  Sad  but Android isn't ready yet IMO.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
firecsi
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 07:52 AM »

Thank you all for your input. Here is why i am looking at this laptop. the price! My Girlfriend got me a iPod touch for a gift. I did not like it and would never use it, (plus it was not on my gift list lol) she is taking the iPod back today and we are going to best buy to find something i would use. This laptop is the same price as the iPod. I was also looking at the NookColor e reader that i got her as a gift. I need to do more reading and i like the fact that i can still surf the web.

Once again thank you all for the input. I'll let you know what i come home with.
 Wink

Tobie

I live, I fly, I am
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change