GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 10:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prophecy UL Frame specs  (Read 1665 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: December 17, 2010, 01:00 PM »

A few years ago there were some OEM Phophecy UL framesets going around. Any one have specs? I think they died with the old forum.

I don't need dimensions so much as which rods are used where.

Allen

Allen, AKA kitehead
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:58 PM »

Snipped from the original GWTW Blog entry for those framesets:

Got an old Prism Prophecy that doesn't see much air time these days?  Maybe re-framing it as an Ultra Light would put it back in the A-Bag.

We have a couple factory frame sets that are available at a fraction of their original price.  These are Prism made and complete with stoppers, all connectors and even include stand-offs.

Here's what you get:
  • SkyShark P200 spine w/ center tee
  • SkyShark P100 upper spreader
  • SkyShark 5PT lower spreaders w/ stand-off connectors and ferrule
  • SkyShark 5PT upper leading edges w/ ferrules; spreader connector and stop collars
  • Avia Skinny SUL lower leading edges w/ spreader connectors, stop collars and nocks
  • Complete stand-off set (6) w/ sail clips and end caps

Hope that helps.

ATB,
Sam
kiteking

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 04:05 PM »

If some has the lengths I will add those to the database as well

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:53 PM »

If you check with Steve these framesets are exactly the same as the Std. Proph as to lengths.......

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:00 PM »

What database?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:09 PM »

Doable Allen, pricey but it can be done.  I am pretty sure I still have a spare Proph bridle or two and there are still center T's that will work.  I do have the Prism build sheet for the Proph if you want it.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Kantaxel

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:17 PM »

Steve,
I've forgotten since we framed up our UL sail, with the same length spars as the std, but do remember that the Prism framesets were as stated above, but also that the stand-offs were shorter......Was the UL framing supposed to be for the Std. sail or for the UL sail?

I seem to remember using the spars that Matt suggested for the UL sail that we procured.

thanks,
Jim

Ang3lFir3
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:44 PM »

What database?

same question here..... what database ?.... and how can i get it?
Steve
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 08:21 PM »

Man is my memory getting bad ...
Seems to me I found out that Prism never made an "official" Proph UL and all this was based on what Mat had come up with for his UL.  Actually Jim I was kind of hoping that you remembered.  I never throw away email and pretty sure we talked about his so I will search my email.

@ Ang3lFir3 if you need specs for a Prism kite I have specs for most all.  If you have a specific need let me know and I might be able to help out.

Steve ... Ancient One
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 08:29 PM »

I knew I'd kick myself for not pouncing on one of those UL framesets...

That's enough info, though. I have almost all the spars on hand. Probably only 2 40" 5pts stashed away. I'll see if Steve has a few more.

Shorter standoffs are common in UL upgrades. Otherwise the spreaders bow all out of whack

Modern 2pts will probably do for LLEs.  Back then the were too small, hence the SULs
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 08:37 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ang3lFir3
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 08:37 PM »

@Steve -- I appreciate that ... and at the moment I don't have a need... my interest in the database is mostly recreational/professional. my interest lies in possibly building some sort of web based resource for the community ... having data already available would be a great start... especially in knowing what information most people prefer to record...

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 09:17 PM »

I remember Matt flying a homebrew Proph UL at Wildwood one Year.

It was framed in 3PT.

Mark was skeptical, but; Matt did fly it in competition that Week.
kiteking

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 09:56 PM »

What database?

same question here..... what database ?.... and how can i get it?

The database in question is a collection of information I have gleaned from many sources over the past 30 years, it includes but not limited to charts, lists, specs, posted in these forums, old kite magazines, spar charts from ITTW, measurements from my kites. It actually is not a true database, but a bunch of files in different formats that I look through when the need arises. while the eventual intention is to make it available electronically, currently I only post info when someone is asking,

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Kantaxel

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 11:41 PM »

Man is my memory getting bad ...
Seems to me I found out that Prism never made an "official" Proph UL and all this was based on what Mat had come up with for his UL.  Actually Jim I was kind of hoping that you remembered.  I never throw away email and pretty sure we talked about his so I will search my email.

Well, Steve,

I actually do remember the one we framed up based on Matt's recommendations..................It was 2Pt leading edges with a 3Pt lower spreader. You determined the size of the whiskers based on what you thought wouldn't tend to deflect too much, and it works great. (actually the lower spreader deflects more outward than the whiskers belly Cheesy)

All of this is based on the fact that it (the sail) is one of them elusive  UL Proph sails.......Don't know how many were ever made and nobody else seems to know either..........(not even Matt)  He did chime in on this subject once on the old forum and maybe JW could get him to chime in again, for old time's sake.

Allen,

I'm pretty sure that the lighter framesets Prism had for the Proph were meant for the standard sail.......That's why the stand-offs are shorter, like you said.

Jim B.,

Matt also once framed up his UL sail in skinnies in order to make a SUL Shocked  Unfortunately a gust of wind came up in a fly or die situation and the whole frameset imploded Sad

Jim

Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 01:02 PM »

Here's what you get:
  • SkyShark P200 spine w/ center tee
  • SkyShark P100 upper spreader
  • SkyShark 5PT lower spreaders w/ stand-off connectors and ferrule
  • SkyShark 5PT upper leading edges w/ ferrules; spreader connector and stop collars
  • Avia Skinny SUL lower leading edges w/ spreader connectors, stop collars and nocks
  • Complete stand-off set (6) w/ sail clips and end caps

So, I'm going to go ahead and frame up my nice new Proph as UL and see what I get. It's winter, and winds are light around here.

The recipe above doesn't actually strip all that much weight, about 16 grams total. This would certainly be noticeable in flight, and any further reduction would make for a much more flexible and fragile frame.

One thing that's odd is the continued use of those 40" 5PTs in the ULE. It would seem to make for an out of balance kite, with the reduction in weight at the spreaders and LLE. The stock upper spreader is already P100 so less than 2 grams from the lighter spine would be the change on the upper half of the kite.

3PTs in the ULE would make sense from a weight reduction standpoint, but I have to assume whoever put this frame spec together had it right, and the 5PTs are secret sauce. Easy to try both.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document