GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 05:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trick Tail sail repair  (Read 928 times)
esteveskan
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 17, 2010, 01:46 PM »

I bought a Trick Tail that has a major tear in the red portion of the sail.  I would like to make a stitched repair rather than a Tedlar taped repair.  From the research I have done I should use V30 polyester thread.  I can find black and white.  A sail maker's supply shop will sell me the V30 in red but I have to buy a large quantity for about $100.00.  Does anyone know of any viable alternatives?  Either smaller amounts of red thread or a good way to dye the white thread would seem to be my options.  thanks for your thoughts, Steve Thayer
inewham

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:12 PM »

Any polyester thread will do, just get a small bobbin from a dress making shop in the colour you need.
I've use Gutterman thread a lot but there are plenty of others, you don't need to use a sailmaking specific thread.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:13 AM »

What Ian said, some machines do not like bonded threads too and you'de need to spend some time getting the adjustments set to use it so don't waste your money or time. Just go to your local fabric store and pick some up. I prefer the new Coats & Clark Poly wrapped Poly now, Guttermans has degraded in quality, Metlers is even better if You can find it but the the Poly is rare, do not get the Cotton wrapped Poly, you need 100% Polyester on a kite which will get damp.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 09:19 AM »

Steve where are you located?
Thread: kite makers have different ones they like...i like Guttermans personally...and any of the threads out there will work just fine...
I am certain that someone near you will be able to guide you to a shop that will sell less than 100$ worth at a time!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
esteveskan

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 01:35 PM »

I am in upstate NY - Syracuse vicinity.  Now that I am a little smarter on the subject I will start a local search.  There are a couple of relatives that are into sewing so I think I should be OK.  Thanks to all. Steve Thayer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document