GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 03:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My set of Organics (std and ul)  (Read 1404 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: December 20, 2010, 02:01 AM »

I finished these in October (or early november) but have not been out to fly them yet due to lousy WA weather.  Photos were taken in and around my apartment... so not the kite's preferred surroundings, but satisfactory for showing them off.  Biggest difference in these kites is the frame, but there are some notable sail differences that can be seen in the pictures (see mylar reinforcements).

Standard

UL

Details

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 02:03 AM by sugarbaker » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:00 AM »

Very nice. Clean nose work too.

I am a fan of yellow, so your UL looks excellent to me.  Grin

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 03:39 AM »

Really nice Steven................looks like you have some more of those fancy straps in the back too...............Yaller is quite the catchy color.............. Wink

jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 03:50 AM »

Very nice,  Smiley I hope you will fly them as soon as possible, they are so fun and tricky!
I love that work on the nose, very clean, I'll copy it in my future creations  Wink

Paolo
Raptor
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 07:29 PM »

I'm quite impressed! I didn't know it was possible to make a kite like this on your own. Does it require special equipment or do you just order the mylar and sail fabric and have some serious sewing skills? xD
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 08:08 PM »

thank you for your complements.  I would say that it is absolutely possible to build kites like this on your own with some practice, proper materials and some patience.  When it comes down to it (and I think many here on the forum would agree), many of the best kites are hand made. 

The organic that I have pictured in this thread probably would not be the best kite to start off with, but there is an excellent site that has step by step walk through of what it takes to build a kite and has plans and detailed material list.  http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html is an excellent place to start.

Note that there are many techniques used by many different kite builders, and in most cases there is no absolute right way.  What may work for you may not be best for me or vise-versa.  My advice would be to read as much as you can before you take the leap into kite building, as the expense is more than most people guess and it is addicting!

Thanks again for the complements on my kites.  You should browse this forum and take a look at Svolazzo's posts (another member), as he has some excellent examples of kites he's made.   
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:00 AM »

I'm quite impressed! I didn't know it was possible to make a kite like this on your own. Does it require special equipment or do you just order the mylar and sail fabric and have some serious sewing skills? xD

use this belgian site to build the QUARTZ (the predecessor of the organic), you can not go wrong!

http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html

Krijn
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 04:11 AM »

And if you do want see directly a very skilled kitebuilder, look at Mark building his Talons at
JoE Kites on Justin.tv

I have learned a lot seeing that.

Paolo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum