GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 12:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B'zar 2010 vs. Vortex  (Read 1207 times)
cojack_2107
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 22, 2010, 03:32 AM »

Ok guys.. its been long since i have post here... have completed my first Vortex UL few weeks ago.. though i like how it flies but somehow my hand have been itching to do some modifications, maybe to make it flies better.

Here what i have done:  -Inner standoff placed 1cm towards wing tip.
                                 -Outer standoff placed 2cm towards center T.
                                 (so i have an option to move either the inner and outer standoff in and out whenever i want)
                                 -placed 3g of lead at the wingtips.(after doing so, taz and 540 are way way flat than before and backspin was somehow                                                                   
                                                                               easier)

Like the way it came out better as it have more drive in low wind and spin tricks are flatter and fades are more stable.

Now i want to build another kite. Both Std and UL or maybe an SUL(different bridling). As i use current vortex as a trashing kite and a way to learn more on kite designs.
But i am not sure which to build. Another vortex or a b'zar 2010.

Anyone who owns or have flown both kites kindly provide me with some reviews and thoughts please. Thank you.
werner

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26 AM »

Being the designer of the B'zar I cannot be considered neutral in my opinion!! but first I would like to know what you are looking for in your new kite? The changes you made to your Vortex result in flatter rotations, more drive, more response on the lines, etc.. I think you changed your Vortex to fly more like a B'zar.

In comparison with the Vortex a B'zar is less trickable but more precise. I would say the main idea in the design of the B'zar is "controll". I like to fly tricks in controll of the kite. It's me who decide when a trick starts and how fast it will be executed etc.. I also payed a lot attention to maintain the old school moves in its behaviour. A straight line and crisp corner is always nice to see in a ballet and make a performance "readable" for a public.

With the standard bridlesetting it will pull a lot more than the Vortex and will do all the french style tricks too.
For pitch controlled tricks as yofade, multiyoyo etc.. , you need a tailweight of 25 gram to do them without to much trouble but the Vortex is definetely better in this area.

I hope this will help you a bit.

cojack_2107

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 07:53 AM »

Thanks werner... i think i have decided what to build next. Probably after that the b'zar 2011 version. Tongue
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:44 PM »

I have relatively low amount of flying time in my vortex and my bzar. They are both tremendous kites and I think you would be happy to have both in your collection. My only input as to flight character is that I personally have more success in low wind when I'm flying my vortex, but I could probably contribute that to my particular choice of frame. I say build and keep them both!
werner

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 12:14 AM »

what frame did you put in the Vortex than? To tune the B'zar std into a lower wind range putting a little less weight, f.e. 15 or 10 grams is a good option!! I use the nuts of a steel bolt M12 and put them at the end of the spine.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 12:33 PM »

currently my vortex has 3pt upper and lower leading edges with 3pt lower spreaders and 5mm upper spreader (with p100 spine)... my B'zar has p200 upper LE, p300 lower LE, 5pt lower spreader and 5mm upper spreader (p200 spine).  I currently have no additional weight added to either, but have 10, 15 and 20 gram options for both kites. 

As I stated before, I've not flown either of them much due to poor weather here in Seattle.  I've also now got a set of Organics (UL and Std) to test out, so my spring will be filled with flying options. 

I think the beauty of this hobby is how infinitely configurable the kites can be to each persons preference.  I am currently working on a second B'zar, as I have changed my nose sewing technique and am using a different wing tensioning style than on my previous build... when I finish my new build, some lucky friend may take possession of the one I'm flying now.

Anyway, happy holidays!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document