GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 05:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why does my 4d not stay aloft?  (Read 2904 times)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: December 21, 2010, 03:42 PM »

Really having a hard time keeping it in the air...Have tried adjusting the prussic knot as well as 20' lines and it still keeps wanting to fall backwards out of the sky.  Walking backwards is not helping it up nor is pumping the lines.  Light winds about 2 mph should keep it up right?
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:40 PM »

To help you get a helpful answer I'd recommend running a tape measure over your bridle settings as they are, I don't have a 4D but those who do can compare for you.

And yes 2 MPH should have some result for you.

Regards,

WD

WinterDaze AoF
justinpwheeler

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 05:32 PM »

Measurements coming.  This is a Berkeley edition if that would make any difference or not.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 05:36 PM »

The bridle must be way off. Maybe upside down. The one we have would fly in no wind with just a gentle backstroke of the arms. I'll have to get the kite out of my wife's roof rocket if someone else doesn't post the measurements first.
~Rob.

jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:51 PM »

What is your experience level?

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
justinpwheeler

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:16 PM »

Experience level is novice to intermediate, but I can tell there's a problem when it goes to the top of the window and then drops like a lead balloon.  Almost like the breeze just died and no matter what I do it just drops. Will keep trying it out, but it's a bit frustrating to be able to fly my zephyr well and this thing so poorly. 
justinpwheeler

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:56 PM »

Did not see anything earlier but may try calling them after the holidays.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 09:03 PM »

Have you checked the Prism website for pdf files to see if they might have bridle measurements listed for the various kites they make?

As a general rule Prism doesn't list spar or bridle specs.  Not even discontinued kites.  Cry

ATB,
Sam
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:38 PM »

Experience level is novice to intermediate, but I can tell there's a problem when it goes to the top of the window and then drops like a lead balloon.  Almost like the breeze just died and no matter what I do it just drops. Will keep trying it out, but it's a bit frustrating to be able to fly my zephyr well and this thing so poorly. 

Seems to me that if it will go to the top of the window and then just falls backward that it is reacting properly.  I would probably adjust the kite a little lighter at a time until it will stay up in two MPH more towards the center of the window.........Shouldn't be an issue as Shannon says.

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
justinpwheeler

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 03:56 AM »

I will try a little at a time next.  I had the adjustments almost all the way to the front knots but then it felt like the nose was falling forward the whole time.  Might have adjusted it too far. 
RobB

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 04:02 AM »

Yes, I misunderstood the original post... if the kite will climb to the top of the window without problem, just turn and keep it moving. I think that's the key to light wind flying, is to keep the forward drive going. The 4D and Zephyr are going to feel VERY different on the lines, but you're going to be able to fly the 4D when you can't get the Z off of the ground. Big kite inputs can overwhelm the little 4D, and cause it to do unexpected things, too.

justinpwheeler

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 04:14 AM »

Thinking that's my problem.  It starts to fall and then I try to get it driving forward by turning and it oversteers and keeps dropping.  Too big of hand movements maybe.  Still not sure how people fly it at less than 2 mph.  At those low speeds, it feels like the kite has minimal drive.  Maybe more practice.
RobB

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 04:20 AM »

Hey there...
This is a video of me flying mine when I first got it. This is in no wind to a slight breeze, there might be a gust of 2mph in there, but I don't even think so. There have been other videos of more skilled pilots actually doing some tricks since I posted this one.
It might give you an idea of how another one flies, and maybe it looks similar to yours.
~Rob.
Flying the Prism 4D in little to no Wind...

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 04:20 AM »

I have a 3D and it's definitely a different animal. Low wind is very light on the lines and I can see that the 4D would get very wobbly at the edge of the wind window. It might be just a matter of learning how to fly in really light wind.

(I don't fly much when the wind is that low because it's usually a lot of work for minimal trickability.)

Bob D.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 04:29 AM »

Remember the basic rules of 'wind windows'. Huh

1)The shorter the lines.....the smaller the window..................

2)The lower the wind.............again....the smaller the window..........

Flying the 4D on twenty foot lines is going to take constant movement even in two mile an hour wind.

Gotta keep pressure on the sail for flight Wink 

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography