GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 05:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: washing the grime off- and salt crystals  (Read 1028 times)
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: December 28, 2010, 07:00 PM »

I've been flying around sandy flats on the shores of the Great Salt Lake.  I'm not sure if that's much different from being at any ocean beach, but the kites (fabric, not mylar) do come home with splotches of white along with the usual sand.  I've just been sponging them off with warm water and that seems to do the trick. 

But for those times they get grungy enough for a real cleaning, what's the best approach?  I'd read sticking them in a shower and running the water on them worked well.  How about drying them?  Dry with the kite set up, or spreaders and standoffs removed?

Thanks!

Scott Madsen
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:53 PM »

We did the discussion a couple months ago, you can check it here http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=4339.0

I don't know if a consensus was reached, my preference is to just hose it off, don't use one of those spray nozzles that'll shoot two yards away though. I would release the leading edge tension and leave the standoffs out to detension the sail but leave the lower spreaders in to hold the sail open for quick drying. The shower is fine and preferable should you have a water softening system in your home. If you feel the need to use some cleaner dish washing detergent is a good mild choice and was recommended in my fabrics classes for use on any delicates and dry clean fabrics as the best choice. Something cheap with no added lemon oils, fragrances, etc. just pure detergent is best.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Makalu1
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:35 PM »

Thanks for that.  Figured that had to have been covered here before but couldn't find it using the search function.

Scott Madsen
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:32 AM »

I would be wary of salt...it is a crystal form....that means edges...sharp little minuscule edges....that could cut teeny tiny little fibers......i would wash it off well with warm (not hot) fresh water and leave it to dry....then be all good until the next flight!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:57 AM »

for salt a little soak 10 min .  then good  rinse

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change