GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 05:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replace broken ferrule  (Read 2798 times)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: January 09, 2011, 05:18 AM »

I broke the ferrule in my lower spreader yesterday.  What is the best way to remove the little bit of ferrule that is super glued into the rod? 
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:11 AM »

Ferrules are usually glued in with CA glue.  Try putting the ferrule end of the rod in BOILING water for a couple of minutes ( it won't hurt the rod) and then try to remove it with a pair of pliers if there is enough to get hold of or tap it loose - a short sharp tap is the best way to break the bond with CA - or if not try putting a thin suitable rod down the other end and carefully tap it out. If it really won't move then you're only option may be to carefully drill it out - start small and get bigger - but be careful, it's easy to damage the rod.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:32 AM »

Thanks or the info guys.  I figured the heat gun would not be the right thing to do.   
stapp59
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:38 AM »

Carbon Rods are quite resilient and you can be pretty tough with them - to a point.  As stated, heat and a sharp shock are key to breaking the glue joint. A similar method that has always worked for me:

- Heat the glue joint area, usually about 2" long, with a propane torch on low flame until the glue just starts to smoke and/or sizzle.  Keep the flame moving and turn the tube. Do not overheat the tube as the epoxy resins will soften with high heat.  A softened tube will harden OK when cooled though.

- Insert an 1/8" piece of music wire (from a hobby store) into the open end and press against the ferrule  on the inside of the tube. Turn the tube vertical, ferrule end up and strike the piano wire on a hard surfaced floor.  The ferrule will pop right out.  It will be hot, so do not let it hit you in the face.

- The tube will cool in a few minutes and be ready for a new ferrule.  If the removed ferrule is not broken, it can be reused.   I have never ruined a tube this way.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 08:02 AM »

Well this almost like reahafting golf clubs now.  I have a propane torch and a good heat gun but thought they would ruin the rod.
stapp59
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 08:09 AM »

Well this almost like reahafting golf clubs now.  I have a propane torch and a good heat gun but thought they would ruin the rod.

The heat gun should work though the propane flame is more direct and takes just a few seconds.  Just be careful not to overheat.
justinpwheeler

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 08:51 PM »

The heat gun should work though the propane flame is more direct and takes just a few seconds.  Just be careful not to overheat.

Worked like a charm.  Never would have that the wrapped rods were that resilient to heat.  Almost like reshafting a driver.  Now if I could just learn to fly like I golf I would at least look like I knew what I was doing.  Smiley  Getting really good at ground recoveries.
stapp59
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 02:21 AM »

Glad it worked out well for you. Grin 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document