GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 12:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting the kites out of storage  (Read 2802 times)
eatfly
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 29, 2010, 02:21 PM »

After a few years being out of the kiting game, things are sort of starting to calm down and I'm ready to get into flying again!

My kites have been stored away for quite a while and I'm minutes from taking them out. This leads me to my question: 

Did you ever find your kites to be damaged from being stored away for so long? 

I vaguely remember hearing about mylar hardening over time and cracking when moved around.  Might be a dumb question, but just thought I'd ask!
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:29 PM »

Generally not a problem, but that depends on how they were stored.

APA fittings last forever in storage, but some older style LE and standoff fittings get brittle over time. Only a problem on fairly old kites

Mylar won't degrade from just sitting still. If it were stored folded or crumpled with pressure applied (applies to any material) all bets are off.

Moisture and pressure during storage cause problems. Just standing up in the corner of a closet will do no harm for years.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:03 PM »

After a few years being out of the kiting game, things are sort of starting to calm down and I'm ready to get into flying again!

My kites have been stored away for quite a while and I'm minutes from taking them out. This leads me to my question: 

Did you ever find your kites to be damaged from being stored away for so long? 

I vaguely remember hearing about mylar hardening over time and cracking when moved around.  Might be a dumb question, but just thought I'd ask!

Ok you brought it up, now share what is in the bag? Smiley

Sine Metu!
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:26 PM »

Ok you brought it up, now share what is in the bag? Smiley
+1
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 09:45 PM »

Hey Eddie!

Hope we can get together and fly sometime.

Welcome back.

Wink
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:29 AM »

Yep I have some older kites that used those Flying Wings type connectors that "Jellified" in storage and left "Rude-ity's" on the sail  and a bag full of "Crumbily" black goop Sad

The Vinyl tubing used on the first sport kites sometimes gets too hard over time and needs replacing. I'd contact Steve (GWTW/Chico Kites) for APA replacements if needed, He's been able to find me a proper size for all the kites I've upgraded.

Just look the kites over carefully, assemble them at home first to see if you'll need to make any connector replacements. Look over the bridles carefully. Have they been stored indoors? If not check for any mold and wash them, a dilute solution of bleach & water with a quick rinse after would probably neutralize any.

But if "A few years" is under 15 and they've been stored dry they are probably fine.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 09:48 AM »

Hinges on certain types of sail clips tend to get a bit dicey over time.

Sail connectors on kites like the Utopia establish a death grip with their mates over time.  While, it's nice to see such devotion/true love/committent in kiting, the misanthrope in me just thinks that's the time to switch over to Jacos.

If you use elastics, rather than Velcro as kite keepers, they tend to die ugly deaths with alarming rapidity.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 12:39 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:21 PM »

My nephew pulled out an Addiction which was in the garage leaning against an outer brick wall for years. This is in Phoenix (warm summers!).

One of the sail panels had stuck to itself in a semi-melted sort of way. But it pulled apart with no apparent problems and was immediately flown.

I have had a Prophecy mylar in closet storage split in the exact zig-zag of the stitching. This is the very heavy wingtip area mylar.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
eatfly

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 11:28 PM »

Wow, thanks for all the great responses!

I really just asked the question out of curiosity.  My definition of "quite a while" is about 5 or less years  Embarrassed

DD,Ang3lFir3
I'll share what I have in the bag:  Nirvana (Std,UL,SUL,20th ann), Prophecy, Vapor, Elixir, STX 2.5DFM, KFX SUL.

indigo_wolf,
I agree, sail clips are dicey altogether.  I've had some break in the past without even being in store for a period of time.

chilese,
I have no idea what you mean by Prophecy mylar, but it sounds rare!

Jim,
Glad to be back!  Where are you flying nowadays?
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 02:06 AM »

Still out at LSP when I can get there.

Haven't had a chance in a while.

Let me know if you want to meet up.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 08:00 AM »

chilese,

A mylar Prism Prophecy....

Smiley

ATB,
Sam
Francois

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 09:08 AM »

Wow, thanks for all the great responses!

I really just asked the question out of curiosity.  My definition of "quite a while" is about 5 or less years  Embarrassed

DD,Ang3lFir3
I'll share what I have in the bag:  Nirvana (Std,UL,SUL,20th ann), Prophecy, Vapor, Elixir, STX 2.5DFM, KFX SUL.

indigo_wolf,
I agree, sail clips are dicey altogether.  I've had some break in the past without even being in store for a period of time.

chilese,

Jim,
Glad to be back!  Where are you flying nowadays?

Whoaw a 20th an. Nirvana!!! Wink

The new Frank!
eatfly

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 09:25 PM »

Yep, number 15 out of 10!
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 10:30 PM »

Now that is funny!

Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document