GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 04:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MacBook Pro  (Read 4491 times)
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: January 02, 2011, 07:34 PM »

Another long time pc user has now crossed over to a Mac. I have wrestled with this decision for quite a long time, right Frazer? So far I have to say the conversion has been a non-issue but I've yet to move music and video files over to the Mac.

I love how well thought out the whole package is. From something as simple as the box this thing came in to how the Touchpad is designed to work all seems to be very well thought out with the user experience of primary importance. I've been an iPod "homer" for years so I may now become a full on Mac "homer."

Looking for any hints from others that have recently made the switch. Apple has a number of tutorials I will be viewing so hopefully I'll pick up some good info there.

I should also say I took a look at the iMac (completely amazing display) and the MacBook Air. And I want an iPad so bad I can taste it. But in the end the MBP is what I really needed. The iPad may come after the next update, if I can swing the price.  Shocked

Also picked up a iPod Touch. I can't believe I waited this long to consider one. Quite an amazing piece of gear. My Nano might be on the market soon.  Wink Now if my employer would let us dump that Blackberry brick and replace it with an iPhone.  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 07:37 PM by randyg » Logged

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:51 PM »

I switched about 2 years ago - I wish I had done it earlier.  The OS and the apps it comes with just work so well together. 

If you do need to run some Windows programs, you can use Fusion, Parallels, or the free Black box emulators.  I use Fusion - my Mac runs windows better than my PC ever did!

6 kite tom
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25 PM »

I have a new 27 inch Quad Imac arriving tomorrow.  Smiley  Randy once you get an Ipad you will be more impressed with it than you ever expected. It has been the best thing in computing I have ever owned. The remote app airplay on it for the big screens + Apple TV work great together as well.

Try the web site "Macrumors" for info on data transfer. Should find detailed step by step there.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 02:08 PM »

Welcome Randy.

My 7 year old Mac G5 and 23" screen still work fine for me.

Sadly, I have gone as far as I can with the OS. Snow Leopard will only work on Intel based Macs, so I am unable to use the Magic Trackpad my son bought for me for Christmas.

If I had money to throw at a new Mac, I too would get the 27" iMac. But that MacBook Pro looks super sweet. Just never really needed a laptop.

BTW, the windrange of a MacBook Pro is 25-40 mph (bridle not provided).

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:10 PM »

Welcome Randy.

My 7 year old Mac G5 and 23" screen still work fine for me.

Sadly, I have gone as far as I can with the OS. Snow Leopard will only work on Intel based Macs, so I am unable to use the Magic Trackpad my son bought for me for Christmas.

If I had money to throw at a new Mac, I too would get the 27" iMac. But that MacBook Pro looks super sweet. Just never really needed a laptop.

BTW, the windrange of a MacBook Pro is 25-40 mph (bridle not provided).

yeh but will it rollup through that range?
macs maybe great but itunes software is bloated junk

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 02:58 PM »

... Just never really needed a laptop. ...

You would be surprised, I would almost guarantee that you'll never touch your desktop again if you bought one, I don't, and I bought the first laptop just for on the road billing. Once I started using it at home I never went back. I even do my graphics work on the laptop now. The only time you might NEED a desktop would be for connectivity if you were recording your band and needed that sound card with 6 inputs or for home security monitoring. Takes a week or so to get used to a trackpad for every use but that comes and the Mac has a great trackpad, 3x the size I use so I'm betting it's accurate. For involved graphics work where you need a pressure sensitive tablet there are laptops with Wacom screens if you want to spend Apple amounts of dollars on a PC, or the Wacom will hook up to the laptop sitting on your desk. If you really need that desktop environment get a docking system with a real keyboard, mouse/trackball and monitor and the laptop becomes your missing tower and a second screen, bonus is you can take it with you.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
John Welden

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 06:06 AM »

I switched to Apple 20 years ago. Wished I had done it earlier.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26 AM »

It's pretty near time (past time really) to replace my G4.

I'm debating the merits of a MacBook Pro 13 loaded with memory versus the Mac Book loaded with memory.

The price difference would be around $500.00.

The MacBook with the extra memory would still have better performance than my current G4.

The Pro would be gravy.

Maybe spend a bit less this time around and see what they come out with next?

Decisions, decisions..
GEB
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 07:14 PM »

Jim,

The Macbook Pro is due for an update, most likely next month. Some of the rumors/expectations are more affordable SSD’s, Sandy Bridge architecture and possibly port updates. Should be worth the wait, if you are in the market to buy one.
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:21 PM »

Cry another one bites the dust ...

-- Mac user converted to Win some 12 years ago
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 09:31 PM »

We still accept you.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 09:55 PM »

Thanks Gary.

Just the sort of thing that's good to know.

Jim,

The Macbook Pro is due for an update, most likely next month. Some of the rumors/expectations are more affordable SSD’s, Sandy Bridge architecture and possibly port updates. Should be worth the wait, if you are in the market to buy one.

Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 09:58 PM »

I made the switch to Mac (first run aluminum Macbook) about 2 years ago... Never once looked back, it's a much happier world now.

Since then, I've also added a 27" iMac to the office and a 13" Macbook Pro for TK.

Both happy iPhone users as well, all great products, very sensible and stable to work with. Smiley

FYI, we are not "tech heads", aside from some web work, the occasional video and a small amount graphic design, we're just computer users like anyone else.

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 10:13 PM »

I was similar. I went from Mac to PC about 12 years ago when the future for the Mac did not look so bright and then switched from PC back to Mac again some 2 years ago.

I'm a programmer for a living - I used to code exclusively for the Mac platform using c++. Now, most everything is either web-based, java based, an iPhone app, or an android app. It turns out the Mac is an incredible development environment for all of those. I spend all my time using OSX or Linux and have yet to miss a single aspect of windows.

6 kite tom
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:57 PM »

I was similar. I went from Mac to PC about 12 years ago when the future for the Mac did not look so bright and then switched from PC back to Mac again some 2 years ago.

I'm a programmer for a living - I used to code exclusively for the Mac platform using c++. Now, most everything is either web-based, java based, an iPhone app, or an android app. It turns out the Mac is an incredible development environment for all of those. I spend all my time using OSX or Linux and have yet to miss a single aspect of windows.

I am also a programmer for a living .... but as I am a .Net dev by day (hey it pays the bills) I tend to love my windows... that doesn't mean I don't happen to have an OSX VM on my laptop ... but that is only for playing with iOS development since some silly company made it impossible to develop for their platform on anything other than a MAC....

now what i need is a really good web designer... since i no longer enjoy the design aspects of web apps...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document