GWTW Forum
May 22, 2019, 02:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th
to contact us email: kitekid@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any kite fliers in Oahu?  (Read 1797 times)
eatfly
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 05, 2011, 04:38 PM »

Going on business travel to Oahu.  Any dual line kite fliers out there?
ancnthiflr
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 11:11 PM »

Yes there are a few of us....mostly dormant, hibernating, coccooning, lurking-get the picture?. Sorry to be so glum. Some may have lost their jobs, and either moved away or are concentrating on a new job, or hunting for one. The last time I flew, on a furlough/weekday at Kapiolani park, was with my daughter last year. The small group watching seemed like they were seeing stunt kites for the first time. Yet actually at least a few of the more well known forum members here, would have come to Kapiolani Park for one or more kite festivals/stunt kite competitions in the late 80's to mid 90's. On weekends, or after work on a weekday,  you'd be competing for space with joggers, soccer, rugby and softball teams, plus the occasional marathon or fun run. Best to avoid it.

You might run into a flier or two at Sandy Beach or Kualoa Park, but the last times I was there (also this year, and I didn't fly) it was pretty bare of any airborne toys.
 Between Sandy's and Kualoa, sort of, is Kailua Beach, near where Obama stayed for Christmas, you'll find kite fliers-but they are kitesurfing, wind permitting.

There is a place called c.o.r.p., which is actually the Patsy Mink central Oahu Regional Park, where I have flown this year, alone, but in the past have seen a stunt kite or 2 amongst the single liners,dogs, and soccer/softball practices. The flying area slopes downhill, so it is not too often used for ball practices. You would have a much better chance for flying here, but it is inland wind, and on any day you could be the only flier.
When you look at Oahu on a Google map, think northeast for the prominent wind direction, and you'll see that for Waikiki and downtown Honolulu, the open spaces-the beach parks, are directly downind from the mountains and high rises. And at Sandy's, Kailua/Lanikai, and Kualoa, the wind comes straight off the ocean. But they require driving away from Honolulu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: