GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 03:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B'zar 2011  (Read 10538 times)
werner
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 06, 2011, 05:41 AM »

As a result of a lot of trail and error I can ( proudly  Wink ) announce the new B'zar 2011. Key word for this model is broadseaming. By adding a little sailcloth to the theoretical seam you become a sail with an internal camber. In order to spread this camber in a logical way into the sail I had to rework the panel-layout.

The idea is to add some volume in the section right under the leading edge from nose to lower apa connector. This volume is locked into the seam and can not be reduced by to much tension at the wingtip for example.

There is also a curved seam in the middle of the sail at the spine. Not only from center T to the tail, that is generally known in most of the available plans but also from center T to the nose. This seam follows a natural swanneck(?)shape a spine tends to take if a kite is set up. This avoids that volumes determined by the broadseaming would be influenced by the deformation of the spine.

At last, I added some volume in a seam going from the inner standoff to the center T. Normally the sail is always very tight in this section, you usually see a wrinkle there. By adding some cloth in the seam you keep a curved shape of the sail in stead of a flat one.

I will come with some foto's soon.

cojack_2107

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:14 AM »

This is what i've been waiting for. I've hold my urge to build the 2010 version and wait for the 2011 version after i've heard that you are working on it. Can't wait for the pictures and maybe a video of it. With all the add ons, the wingspan of the kite is still the same or roughly gonna be alittle wider??
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 07:27 AM »

Incorporating a couple of the idea's I've had rolling around in my head, I'll be anxious to see how you've done it since I haven't figured out or prototyped any of them yet.

Please pass on your thoughts of the benifits of these modifications, do you think they widened the wind range? Helped or worsed edge handling, precision, any of the tricks etc? Really looking forward to your flight opinions.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 02:07 PM »

Amazing Werner! It looks like you have managed some great ideas, I'm looking forward to see pictures, a video and plans too  Wink Wink

Paolo.
werner

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 04:26 AM »

Some pictures of the B'zar 2011

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
cojack_2107

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 04:29 AM »

Wow. looks great!! like the design.. Simple and neat!! How's the flying?? When is the plan coming up?? can't wait for the review!!! Awesome job Werner!!
werner

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 04:38 AM »

The first picture gives an idea about the panel lay-out, the seam starting at the nose has the extra cloth, and the seam starting above the center T going to the inner standoff also.
The second and third picture illustrate the curve of the spine wich is integrated in the central seam.

Before releasing a plan I just have to do some minor corrections coming out of the last tests. I think I will manage this in the days to come. The final version can be found soon on "tweelijners.be"

Some info about frame:
LE: P200 upper and lower
US: 6 mm pultruded
LS: Black Diamond Nitro Strong
Spine: P2X

Weight: 25 grams in tail

Bridle: Tri-axis turbobridle
cojack_2107

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 04:46 AM »

What bout the wingspan?? from all the sail add ons i would guess it would alittle wider.. roughly around 1.35 or 1.4m?
werner

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:52 AM »

About the flying: I hope a video will be available soon. Maybe this sunday or next week.
I find it difficult to discribe the flying but all I can say is that it tracks very well it can fly very sharp corners it flies in no less than 5 km / u, up to 20 km / u
Trick rating:
rotational moves, 540's axel etc: +++
lazy suzans: single or multi: ++++
Tazz machines: ++++
Backspin: also cascades: +++
Comete: ++ goes in a turtle while cometing if not good executed
Yoyo: +++
Slide and stall: ++++
JL: +++

In my opinion it is the most trickable precisionkite I know
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 09:18 AM by werner » Logged
werner

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 04:55 AM »

wingspan is 2.35 m almost the same as the 2010 model. The extra sailcloth adds volume to the kite between fixed points so it doesn't effect the overall size
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:48 AM by werner » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21 AM »

Sweet! Do you have those pictures uploaded to any other site where we could see a larger size so we could zoom in on some details? The GWTW pic post feature is great to have but the size limit doesn't allow much detail. Interested in the nose area, construction and the results of that added fabric. If I ever get a chance to build something soon this is moving to the top of the list right after a glider type SLK.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
werner

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:02 PM »

extra picture of the seam starting from the nose
I hope to have a link soon where you can see more pictures in high resolution

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:04 PM by werner » Logged
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 10:47 PM »

Handsome kite.

Congratulations!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 07:10 AM »

I am excited for this new bzar. I am pleased with the look of the new sail layout, and I fully intend on making this kite as soon as your plan is available. (was actually going to start another 2010 version build, but like the new layout so much that I'm going to wait for the new plans.). Thanks Werner for posting your plans for the public.  I love that I can build these exceptional kites for myself. It's so satisfying to fly something made by my own hand that out performs many of my purchased kites.
stapp59
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 07:31 AM »

This looks very interesting.  Thanks for your work!
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography