GWTW Forum
June 24, 2017, 05:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New build - Vortex 107%  (Read 713 times)
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: June 12, 2017, 06:00 AM »

Hi folks,

I'm building a Christian Derefat Vortex enlarged to 107%, and had decided to share some of the stages with you. I'm far from an experienced and flawless builder, but I do want to share some personal insights, some things I've found working for me, and some techniques I've learned from others.
I've already made an SUL sail version of the V107 (that's how I'm calling it), for a friend. That one, with a flat bridle (100%), proved to be an excellent, highly trick-able very low wind flyer.
This Vortex, in a standard version, will have more tweaks, which I found to work better on the Vortex than stock settings, and some I haven't tried yet.

I would greatly appreciate your expressions of interest in this, if you're following along, to see I'm not wasting my time posting all this.

So first picture would be just a general one to show a minor trick of using a clothes hanger to keep your Icarex cuttings from wrinkling, also showing the 107% enlarged plans.

Thanks for reading!

IMG_20170608_140659~01 by Iftah Burman, on Flickr

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Krijn
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:46 AM »

I'm here, ready for your tweaks!

Krijn

ps I've build two Organic.108 sails for someone else (as UL and STD), and because he liked them so much, I've build myself another STD, great kite.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 08:54 AM »

following along!
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 12:43 PM »

Very Interesting

Mike
DD
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 01:33 PM »

There any links to the plans?

Sine Metu!
mdilucca

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 02:42 PM »

I'm very interested is the SUL specs and the V107 plans.

Cheers
Mario

Cheers
Mario

Palmahnic

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:48 PM »

Hey, thanks for all the support and interest everyone!

So to start, the plans for the Vortex are on Christian Derefat's website, I just asked the printers to print it in 107% scale.

For the SUL version Daniel and I decided on P90 for the LE, P100 spine, 2pt LS and 5mm US. We used TAPAs, FSD standoff holders (no end caps), 2.5mm standoffs with screw on sail grabbers. We also ended up shaving about a half cm off the 107% standoffs. For the bridle I went with a 100% turbo bridle (making it more flat which potentially is more suited for SUL).

Making the sail I used spinnaker for the LE, light Mylar, and smaller reinforcements. Since this is a big kite (wingspan is about 250) I decided to put a leech line in instead of a double seam, but used a spectra old line for it. I hate tying the leech line to the wingtip, and because I feared sewing it into the TE just like that would make it slip away, I made something you might consider using as well. 

After threading the leech line through, I sleeved the last part of it with a flying line tight sleeve, about 7 cm long, then made a knot on either side of the sleeve using the unsleeved part of the line but catching either end of the sleeve, that way it doesn't give extra volume inside  the TE and yet keeps it in place. Then made a loop and drew / pushed both ends of the sleeved part together into the TE until there's just a tiny loop left to tension the LE with, and sewed it in place as you would with a thicker bridle-like leech line.
Here are pictures of the end result and the V107 SUL kite completed.

Next, the standard version.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:19 PM »

Nice colour combo.

Mike
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 08:52 AM »

I'm here, ready for your tweaks!

Krijn

ps I've build two Organic.108 sails for someone else (as UL and STD), and because he liked them so much, I've build myself another STD, great kite.

That'll be me with the organic 108's. They fly and look really nicely. The standard vortex is really nice and a great all round kite.

Nice build btw Cool
Palmahnic

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 07:23 AM »

I'm continuing with a few general kite building tips and tricks.

I started using cardboard or "kraft card" a while ago to make my templates. It's easy to cut, and stays hard over time, doesn't burn when hot-cutting, and quite inexpensive compared to metal or wood templates.

Another thing I'm using which I would like to give a burning-hot recommendation for, to anyone hot-cutting their icarex, is a gas operated wireless soldering iron. I bought one from China for 23 USD and it works fantastic, enabling me to work anywhere, with 45 seconds waiting time for it to get hot, and with no limiting cords.

There are plenty of options on Amazon and AliExpress, pm me for the link to the one I bought.

Another hack, a very very simple one, I wanted to share with you is how to keep your spinnaker and dacron strips. I put those in plastic round boxes, like the ones supermarkets sell cheese or olives in, and make a cut that lets out only the edge of the roll. I pull as much as I need and cut.

That's it for now. Next time I'll write on the reinforcements on the V107.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Palmahnic

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:34 PM »

I've changed the standoffs reinforcements to better protect the connection to the sail, to my understanding. The plan instructs to double the standoffs icarex panel with a Mylar panel.  However, seeing as one of the standoffs sits right on the seam of than panel, I've made a reinforcement stencil that is much smaller than the whole panel but is wider, but I to better cover the entire area.

Because this is a standard version I've decided to double it with an identical strip of dacron.

As you can see by the picture, I've already marked the places for the standoffs when the sail was glued to the plan, as I did also for the APA positions, yo-yo stoppers and center T,  by drawing an indication line that points to those on a bit of masking tape, a little trick I learned from Krijn.

I also decided to alter the plans in the standoffs positions. I'm going to put the outer ones 2 cm inward and the inner 1cm outward. This correlates with experiments I've already done positioning the connecting APAs to the LS closer to each other. I will be using screw on standoff holders to try different settings, if I'm not happy with the initial results.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom