GWTW Forum
December 13, 2017, 11:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 piece LE and spine on 2.3m-ish kite  (Read 456 times)
ET
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: December 08, 2017, 08:37 AM »

Looking for thoughts and ideas if anyone has cut LE's and spine into shorter pieces to fit in a backpack or carry on luggage.  Traveling soon and don't want to ship kites to and from the post office as well as checking them in separately with the possibility of extra charges at the airport.  I'm thinking of doing it to a STD and maybe a UL with rods cut down to 24 inches or less.  Would the additional weight from the ferrules throw off pitch based tricks?
Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48 AM »

I remember Steve Tapp one modified an Aerostar Sano such that broke down small enough to find into a suitcase. SportkiteDesign make a 3 piece
LE version of the Seven, but unless you have 3 or 4 piece lower spreader ... and a 2 piece spine it won't help it pack down small enough for travel.

I got Tim Benson to try this for me, a custom/proto SuperFly, but he wasn't satisfied with how the result flew so the project went no further.

FWIW - I'm just back from a trip to Santa Barbara - I put two kites in a 38" USPS tube and carried them on board - I got no grief from United.

-Frazer

OCPablo
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:32 PM »

I have recently taken trips from SoCal to NorCal, Las Vegas and Hawaii and all the while traveling with a 36" roll-up bag I got from Ocean Shores Kites.  I can easily pack (4) dual liners and (2) revs, including specific line sets for each kites and a couple of kite stakes (Golf Ball homemade style) and have had ZERO issues.

The trick is to NOT go for the overhead space, that is like unobtainium to the airlines and you will not makes friends this way. (Unless your going on a half full Red Eye flight.)

If you are flying something other than Southwest (basically any airline with a 'first class', and not a Regional Jet), typically the airplane has a coat closet right as you board the plane.  This is your secret spot, and if you simply carry on the bag and ask the nice steward/stewardess the minute you walk onto the plane to put it away for you... your all set.

Just remember to grab it on the way out... the airlines are not too keen about letting you get back on the plane once you depart.

SoCal Smoooth Winds... Arriving Daily.

SoCal Kite Quiver 2.0: https://goo.gl/photos/JsGxgqswN8GtbAox9
ET
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 01:21 PM »

All this time I was thinking about the spine, LE and forgot about the LS.  I think a ferruled LS would not hold at all. 

Thanks for the tips when taking on a plane.  I have a Prism bag and kite tube I can use. 

@Frazer - When you bought yours on, did they take it to a coat closet, overhead or under?
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 04:23 PM »

If I have a wall seat I keep the kite roll along the wall at my foot, never had a question.
I have had it put it in the 'closet'with the sport coats and that worried great, just remember it!
If we brought enough to fill the overhead compartment then they end up there with our stuff

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Frazer
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 04:38 PM »

The coat space makes the most sense, but on the way out I had them next to the window and on the way back I found overhead space. Worst case Id have stuck em between my legs. If you put them in lightweight plastic tube worst case an attendant would check em last minute. You can get two kites in a USPS tube and maybe the line sets too

-Frazer
KaoS
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 03:13 PM »

If I have a wall seat I keep the kite roll along the wall at my foot, never had a question.

Sadly, I have!  Only happened one time, but I was made to feel like a criminal by the cabin crew  Angry

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:11 AM »

I always take my Magnet with folded leading edges when i travel by plane. When i check in luggage i put in a art-tube and then in my backpack. Usually i pack it so that it's in the middle of the backpack and all my clothes are around it.

When i only have cabin luggage i just carry it on in the art-tube. No problem what so ever.

The Magnet is easy to set up for a session because the ferrules are at the lower APA.

thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 11:18 AM »

I always take my Magnet with folded leading edges when i travel by plane. When i check in luggage i put in a art-tube and then in my backpack. Usually i pack it so that it's in the middle of the backpack and all my clothes are around it.

When i only have cabin luggage i just carry it on in the art-tube. No problem what so ever.

The Magnet is easy to set up for a session because the ferrules are at the lower APA.

This really helps...a drafting tube or fly fishing tube just slides by their eyes....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom