GWTW Forum
December 10, 2016, 04:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Beach Kite Bag - here we go!  (Read 2246 times)
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: December 08, 2016, 02:03 AM »

Good morning everyone.

I'm going to make a kite bag, and decided I'd like some audience/critics. I'm no expert, and actually consider myself quite novice, as I've only sewn 2 kites and two bags in the past. I would appreciate your comments, warnings, and any advice is most welcomed.

I've sewn a nice flight travel bag in the past, but wanted something I can take with me in the car and from it to the beach, as I find myself carrying more and more gear out there lately. Walking from the car to the beach, I now take with me 3-4 kites, 2-3 line sets, 2-3 straps, hot or cold weather gear, music and camera gear. I really liked the Vector bag, and it is serving as my inspiration for the kite bag I want to make. I don't really like the roll-ups, and prefer something that opens wide and keeps its structure.

I realize I cannot possibly expect myself to sew at the same level as the guys who make the Vecotor bag. I'm going to try my best though, with my own design, suited for my needs and abilities. My chosen material is Cordura 600d fabric, and some Oxford 300d fabric. The size would be L-175cm, W-35cm, D-25cm.

My spare time is not something I usually have too much control over so the project progress might run fast at certain times, and very slow on others.

As I wrote, I'm mostly posting it here for your comments, and because my wife dosn't want to hear about it, so any reaction is appreciated  Cheesy

Here are some pictures of the Vector kite bag for comparison, from "Addict-Kite" review. Please don't judge me too harshly Grin

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:28 PM »

Here's a crude plan I'm working with. It's not the best drawing but it's meant to give me an idea of how and what to do, and to make sure I understand what comes before what.

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 01:23 PM »

Not trying to diss the design, but the square shape will never be present in real life.
Will that make it easier to build?
Will it provide more space that is usable or just excess fabric weight?
Round and triangular bags open nicely and are really easy to get in and out of, and easier to sew as well as there are less corners to deal with.

HQ used to make a wonderful bag that was triangular in shape and would open out very nicely....
https://goo.gl/photos/XQPcnqi1ZuAZg5uX8 detail pictures here..

Premier kites used to make a big long cylinder bag that had zips down the length AND also one end could zip 95% off like a cap...you could get into the bag both ways and that is super nice...

Just a couple of thought from the use and build direction - and please note: I have built kites and banners and things, but not a bag (I am terrified of sewing a zipper for some reason), I have not had a problem buying a few though.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
KaoS
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 02:06 PM »

HQ used to make a wonderful bag that was triangular in shape and would open out very nicely....
https://goo.gl/photos/XQPcnqi1ZuAZg5uX8 detail pictures here..

Cry Cry Cry  Why did they ever stop making them??  I have two, and would have more if I could still buy them.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: Today at 10:47 AM »

I like the vector bag very much.

Your has one design improvement over mine.  The line storage compartments are pointed outward toward the zipper. Mine point inward to the bag and are harder to remove. 

The canoe design is deep and allows you to put things into it.  Cool 

I would make several changes for my personal needs. 
  Have a divider to split the bag into a 70 30 split.  The 30 section would not be for kites. 
  The 30% split would have a open longer section for my tripod and other longer items.
  The shorter section would be a compartment "not just pockets" with zipper to hold misc stuff like camera. sun screen etc.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:05 PM »

I have two of the HQ bags....love them..... They were pricey towards the end, and when the big sport kite names push the vector bag, that was even more $ if I remember correctly, then hq lost the market.......too bad...great bag that was worth the value....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom