GWTW Forum
July 01, 2016, 07:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: admin@gwtwforum.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First kite build - Le Quartz - A few questions...  (Read 1524 times)
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: June 25, 2016, 02:03 AM »

My first kite build is finally finished... It was such an enjoyable and tense experience  Cheesy Some part of it are frustrating, some are easy, but all are rewarding and I can't wait to start my second. Haven't gone out flying this one yet, because there's so much work, and it's really much too hot outside.

I do have some questions for the many talented builders of this forum:
I'm not so interested in the general practice, but rather your own personal preference:

1. Hot cutting - Do you hot cut everything or are there somethings you prefer regular cutting, specifically Mylar and Dacron?

2. What's your preferred seam starting and seam ending technique? What do you do to secure either side?
I've used the going over twice for the start, and Sugarbaker's surgeon's technique for the end, but how many of you actually do that for every seam?

3. Nose: I use Tarp as nose material, do you go over every seam twice or just once?

4. Bridle: I used the way shown on Tom's site for making the bridle for the La Quartz, as it calls for a turbo leg, and the adjustment knots being on the spine, but I was wondering what's your preferred way, assuming a standard three point bridle?

I'm thinking about my next build... maybe Krijn's scaled down version of the Sixth Sense as an SUL... What do you suggest?

Thanks so much for your help!

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:49 PM by Palmahnic » Logged

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Lex B
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 10:12 AM »

#1 - scissor, except for making holes.
#2 - going over twice start and end
#3 - once
#4 - the way the creator did it......

Krijn's ideas always a good choise, but hard to do them as neat as he does...

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
coogee

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 05:52 PM »

The kite looks great.

Once you start building you will never look at  kites the same. The construction is different for different builders, they achieve the same ends but get there in there own way. Looking at the building techniques is a great way to learn. If you get the building bug you will eventually find your own style.

Build some SLK stuff to hone your skills and let your imagination run riot.

Mike
Krijn
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:41 PM »

How does it fly?

1. I do hotcut everything. Icarex maybe not needed, but Dacron reinforcements for sure. I do only coldcut the bisonyl for the nose.

2. 3-step-zig-zag with transport on 0. About two times from left to right. I cut of with scissors close to the stitch. No knotting or burning. You can see some starts end endings of this kind in this picture (of two 90-three sails):

3. Once (but I have a Pfaff).

4. Check my build of DD's P3 for my method of bridle-knotting. I once measured it and a complete bridle including leaders took my - without hurrying - 19 minutes.
http://www.kareloh.com/kite-plans/p2-open-source-trickkite/p3-raffle-kite-built-by-krijn/

Sixth Sense.80 SUL is great.
I also like the Italian Matrix a lot (STD).
Or a P3 for big fun in high winds?

Krijn

By the way: it is Le Quartz (masculine) and not La Quartz (female) Smiley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 02:58 AM by Krijn » Logged
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 05:44 PM »

1. Hot cutting - I hot cut everything. Not needed for icarex, but because I use templates the way I do, I prefer to hot cut.

2. ironically, I finish my stitches the same as Krijn despite the method I documented in the B'zar build thread.

3. Nose: i only stitch once, but with a tighter stitch.

4. Bridle: Varies for each build

for next build, I really like C. Derefart's vortex.  Need to build another one of those myself.

Thanks so much for your help!

[/quote]
Palmahnic

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 01:38 PM »

How does it fly?

It flies really nice for something I built entirely by myself from scratch  Cheesy

It locks perfect into fade, like @KarelOh mentioned but the backspin rotations  are a bit hard. I can't get it to flair either, and hard time to Taz. I'm going to add some weight and see, and also check if the bridle is adjusted according to what @MaesHugo mentioned in one of the Le Quartz build posts. Frame is P200, P3X spine, 12 grams on the tail.
2. 3-step-zig-zag with transport on 0.

Thanks, I'll try it out next time!
4. Check my build of DD's P3 for my method of bridle-knotting.
I did and it made a lot of sense, but decided against it because this one has a turbo leg.
By the way: it is Le Quartz (masculine) and not La Quartz (female) Smiley
Didn't realize she was a he. I stand corrected   Grin

2. ironically, I finish my stitches the same as Krijn despite the method I documented in the B'zar build thread.
Now you tell me??  Huh Cry Cheesy

The kite looks great
Build some SLK stuff to hone your skills and let your imagination run riot.
Thanks! I might, but not for the next few at least.
Krijn's ideas always a good choise, but hard to do them as neat as he does...
I am finding a renewed appreciation for kite builders as I try to wrestle with my own.

You guys are a tremendous help, thank you so much for your input. If anybody else wants to chime in, I sure can use the help, plus, I know I found it helpful reading these type of threads during my work process, so I'm hoping it could also help someone else down the line.
Here's an on the field photo -

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:23 PM »

Finishing the stitches with a surgeons knot and melting the ends works great, I only started stitching the other way because it is faster... And I don't recall if Krijn or I did it first (or if others are doing the same thing... I think I may have gotten the idea from Paul Shirey's Aerostar kites), but it was about the same time, as I remember discussing the idea with him at one point. 

Speaking of Aerostar, if you should come across one, Paul's kites are emaculate when it comes to sewing detail.
Krijn

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 04:20 AM »

In this thread, from page 3, Sugarbaker suggested it to me: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=10154.0.
I like it. I've used it for every kite I built from that Lilith.L.

Krijn
Palmahnic

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:51 AM »

In this thread, from page 3, Sugarbaker suggested it to me: http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=10154.0.
I like it. I've used it for every kite I built from that Lilith.L.

Krijn

Yup, very clear, going to use that one next time. Thanks to both of you!

There's a lot of good stuff on that thread actually, didn't come across it yet. The Lilith looks very nice, how does it perform?

Thank you kindly,
Iftah.
Krijn

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 12:29 PM »

https://vimeo.com/85018735

But I did not like it very much and it moved to a new owner.
Not easy to guide it through whole the trick.
Different inputs compared to other kites.

Krijn
honchoboy

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:27 PM »

Congratulations Cheesy That kite looks great. You should be very proud of yourself!

And commiserations Cry You have now opened up a whole new aspect of kiting that is likely to keep you up till the early hours with just the constant soothing sound of needle hitting Icarex.

There is no better feeling than flying a kite you have built yourself.

1. To me its a simple case of asking the question: if the material will fray then hotcut, if not then coldcut with a knife. I cant remember the last time I cut Icarex with a soldering iron but as Krijn stated, for Dacron its essential.

2. I had to think about this, i tend to do it without thinking. It turns out that for starting i go forward 2, back 2, and then just stitch as normal. For finishing I go back 2, forward 2, back 1. I can't remember my thinking behind this, its just habit. I have yet to see any kite which has fallen apart due to thread coming undone. The frame will be breaking before the thread.

I did use to pull my stitches through to the back and then tie them off but it slowed me way down. I also used to burn off the thread ends but I once got too slack in this method and burnt a hole in the middle of a sail. Never done it since.

3.I use a fabric sourced from a supplier to motorbike outfit makers, the stuff you see on elbows, knees etc. Super tough but thin. I just go over it the once.

4. Generally as the designer intended but if given the option I prefer adjustments to be on the LE spar. I very rarely tie the bridle directly to the spar but have it attached to legs. I eat bridles for breakfast (I went through 2 in a month once) and I find it so much quicker if I can just drop a new bridle onto the legs rather than retie onto the spar. I stopped using larkshead knots as a direct attachment to the spar for this very reason.

As for your next build? I actually suggest flying Le Quartz for a while first. If you build too many too quickly you never really get to know a kite truly. I've fallen foul of this and have perfectly good self builds that very rarely got flown due to their always being a new toy around. But if you pushed me for an answer I'd say you really should one day build a Sixth Sense, either full size STD or a 0.80.

I think a Magnet is going to be my next.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom