GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 09:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Standard Kite Specifications  (Read 15592 times)
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 06, 2011, 12:03 PM »

In the past I have noticed that many of the posts on the ‘Kite building and repair’ section are requests for details of standard bridle measurements and frame specifications. 

This thread has been started so that forum members can post the standard bridle and frame details for kites they own for the benefit of other forum users. Hopefully in time it will build up into a useful reference source for many of the kites we fly.

For ease of use I would suggest that you cover one kite or set of kites (i.e. UL/Std/Vent) per post rather than a huge list.  I would also suggest that measurements be taken with the bridle on the kite from frame to approximate centre of the knot. Upper outhaul measurements should be taken with adjustment on the middle knot where this applies. If you have the lengths and spec of the frame tubes these too can be posted.

I am aiming at the standard set up for each kite, however if you want to post alternative bridle set up’s or modifications please feel free to do so but I would ask that you make it clear they are alternative measurements.

Cheers

Smiley

Links to Bridle tying sites - http://www.iannewham.com/kitedesign/bridling.html

http://wardley.org/kites/bridle/index.html

« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 12:56 PM by inewham » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Hadge

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:04 PM »

Flying Wings Soul Standard

Upper Outhaul – 54cm  Lower outhaul – 57cm  Inhaul- 63cm Turbo 9.5cm

Frame – ULE/LLE Dynamic DT15 x 74cm  Spine – D15 x 89.5cm Lower spreader Dynamic DT18 x 78.5cm Upper spreader – 6mm carbon x 51.5cm Standoff 3mm carbon x 25.5cm with optional outer 3mm x 22cm.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:05 PM »

HQ Shadow (2009 version)
Upper Outhaul – 42.5cm Lower Outhaul – 52cm Inhaul – 56cm Turbo – 6cm Keeper line 44.5cm

Frame – ULE 4mm carbon tube x 70cm LLE – 4mm carbon tube x 70cm Spine 5mm carbon tube x 82.5cm Lower spreader Dynamic DT12 x 70cm Upper Spreader 4mm carbon tube x 54cm  Outer standoff – 2mm carbon x 21.5cm Inner standoff – 3mm carbon x 21.5cm.

Hadge

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:06 PM »

HQ Infinity Standard

Upper outhaul – 54cm Lower outhaul – 53cm  Inhaul 62cm Turbo 5cm Keeper line 32cm

Frame – ULE – Dynamic DT15 x 82cm LLE – DT15 x 69cm  Spine – Dynamic D15 x 90cm Upper spreader D15 x 52cm Lower Spreader -  DT15 x 75.5cm.  Outer standoff 3mm carbon x 25cm Inner standoff 3mm carbon x 26cm Yoyo stoppers 53cm from nose.

misterbleepy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 01:33 AM »

How about links to manufacturers websites who publish this info?

e.g.:

Benson Bridles: http://bensonkites.com/tech/bridles.html

Benson Frames: http://bensonkites.com/tech/frames.html

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:47 AM »

Specs for many new and old HQ kites can be found at - http://www.invento-hq.com/supportsuche_e.php

Also PDF copies of many original manuals can be found at - http://www.invento-hq.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=120&Itemid=214

Ang3lFir3

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:37 PM »

so i just barely got started and by barely i mean (a couple of hours this weekend) but you can checkout....

http://kitecards.heroku.com

<< this is not production ready and not guaranteed.... however my plan is to continue to update it while I get used to Rails3 and Ruby for that matter.

I haven't figured out how I want to handle the bridle info at this point ..... its needs a little design work... but is a start.

give it a shot and let me know what you think... I am sure people have a lot of ideas...
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 06:44 PM »

I have notes on standard and tweaked bridles.  You guys want them?

And so I understand.  One post per kite?
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35 AM »

so i just barely got started and by barely i mean (a couple of hours this weekend) but you can checkout....

Cool, I'm guessing it's editable by anyone like a WIKI? I didn't want to make a change with improper info just to test it. I hope it saves a copy in case somebody goes in maliciously.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ang3lFir3

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38 AM »

Cool, I'm guessing it's editable by anyone like a WIKI? I didn't want to make a change with improper info just to test it. I hope it saves a copy in case somebody goes in maliciously.

at the moment it is very much like a wiki... however I plan on adding user authentication and then of course only allowing authenticated users to make changes.... at the moment it is only back by a sqlite db so the data is easily replaced...

feel free to add data but its just a basic form.... wanting to make sure I have all the right info ... just something I decided to do in some of my free time... when not flying of course Smiley
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 08:22 PM »

Hello everyone, i just joined this forum as i am awaiting my Prism Hypno to arrive. Ordered yesterday.
I have also a Paimpol Super Sonic kite i bought from France.
Wing span - 1m85
Height - 80cm
I am looking in constructing a new bridle line for it as the old one got cut while it was packed for some years. Is there any calculator for this or any kite with apprx same specs i can copy all bridle length to fit on it?
Thanks everybody for helping.

Btreize

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13 PM »

Did both sides get cut? Your best bet is to duplicate the original, if one side is good then you just mirror it. If the cut is clean enough and hasn't frayed too bad you should be able to approximate it close enough, for sure closer then substituting measurements from another kite.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 01:26 AM »

Hello everyone, i just joined this forum as i am awaiting my Prism Hypno to arrive. Ordered yesterday.
I have also a Paimpol Super Sonic kite i bought from France.
Wing span - 1m85
Height - 80cm
I am looking in constructing a new bridle line for it as the old one got cut while it was packed for some years. Is there any calculator for this or any kite with apprx same specs i can copy all bridle length to fit on it?
Thanks everybody for helping.

Btreize
IF you can post some pictures of the assembled kite in a new thread and someone her might rcognize it and be able to help.  IF not try mikes suggestion or there are a few sources on making a bridle from scratch.
B-13

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31 AM »

Did both sides get cut? Your best bet is to duplicate the original, if one side is good then you just mirror it. If the cut is clean enough and hasn't frayed too bad you should be able to approximate it close enough, for sure closer then substituting measurements from another kite.

Yes i removed both sides and cannot find it back now. I don't have a picture right now but you can see it on the link below. Exactly the same thing

http://www.arcane-modelisme.com/super-tonic/article/250

B-13

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 08:32 AM »

Ca Ike, I dont have a picture now. I can upload later but here is the kite itself from this link

http://www.arcane-modelisme.com/super-tonic/article/250

Thanks for you help.

Btreize

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum