GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking down kites shorter ........  (Read 2154 times)
tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: January 07, 2011, 04:36 PM »

I would like to carry a kite or two with me whenever i go abroad, but the problem is that, breaking the leading edges down in two parts is still a bit too long to fit into my suit cases ( i do not want to carry them as a separate piece ) .
I thought of making the spine to fold in two and the leading edges into three or four, but not sure if this will work. Then there is the matter of the lower spreaders.
Any help or suggestions  Huh?
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:38 PM »

I think a smaller kite like the 4D will fit into a suitcase if that kite is your cup of tea.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:05 PM »

Revs travel easy.

Allen, AKA kitehead
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:21 PM »

If you can do frame work and use straight tubes like the Sky Shark P series, you can add ferrules and break the frame down into shorter segments.  A three or four part leading edge, two part spine, and two part lower spreaders will fit into a suitcase pretty easily.  Use a little scotch tape to hold the lower spreader segments together.  The leading edges and spine are under pressure which holds those segments together.  This adds a little weight and increases setup time but travels well in a suitcase.  Take a look at this and related pics in the folder:

clickable picture
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:26 PM by stapp59 » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:48 PM »

Depending on how long you will be there, you can always Fedex the kite to where you are going and back again.  I did this the last time I went on a long trip.

-Tom

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:01 PM »

Not only will it add weight and increase set-uptime, it will also change the flex characteristics of the tubes. (leading edges anyway)  It probably won't make that much difference, but it is a consideration.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
stapp59
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:11 PM »

Not only will it add weight and increase set-uptime, it will also change the flex characteristics of the tubes. (leading edges anyway)  It probably won't make that much difference, but it is a consideration.

Yes, though in practice tube flex has not been an issue.  You'll notice the added momentum of the weight in the LEs which in some cases is nice.  I have two kites with this config, a std and UL which go to the beach, been beat on, and have held up pretty well.

As Allen says, Revs break down pretty short for travel. I miss my dualie fix though...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:46 PM by stapp59 » Logged
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:08 PM »

My solution has been to ship the kites to my destination and back. It has always worked for me, for a long trip (like 3 or 4 weeks).
CV

tempest
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 03:54 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys.
 All my kites are 230cm and i have not gone to the dark side as yet.
Shipping the kites to where i am going and back is out of the question for me, so as i see it , the more practical solution will be to shorten the spars and use more ferrules to join them.
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 06:38 AM »

I would like to carry a kite or two with me whenever i go abroad,...Any help or suggestions  Huh?

A completely different approach might be to use the trip as an opportunity to visit a local kite shop abroad and just pick up a new kite.  At the conclusion of your trip you could ship the kite home or sell it locally.  Just consider the cost as "rental fee" for the kite.

When my parents lived 1000 miles away in South Padre Island, TX I would make an annual kite purchase at the local kite shop when I went down for a visit.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
stapp59
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:18 AM »

Here is a thread about taking kites on airlines.  I personally have used a 36" rolling duffel with a hard sided bottom as check in luggage.  You can fit in quite a few kites as most kites break down to ~34" normally. 

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=2087.0

The travel frames are good for those short 1-2 day convention trips where I take a single carry on with no check ins.

If you just want to zoom around, foils are easy  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum