GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 03:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CD/DVD Storage HELP! (Non-Kite Related)  (Read 2812 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 08, 2011, 01:48 PM »

Looking to get rid of the jewel cases and go to soft, see-through sleeves.

I've seen several different ones ranging from 50 to 15 each, but don't know their relative merits.

Bambi wants them not to split with high use, not turn yellow, and to be low cost. We have a lot of CDs and DVDs taking up space. It looks like we can reduce the volume by 75% with this method.

I told her there would be 5 responses within 2 hours so don't let me down.  Smiley   
This is Bambi rolling her eyes. --->> Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 01:50 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 02:50 PM »

Hi John,
I use the CD albums with a 2X2 grid for each page. That's 8 per page, and each binder can hold 20-25 pages. Mine are cheap immataion leather, but I've seen the same arangement made from real leather.
~Rob.

ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:51 PM »

I told her there would be 5 responses within 2 hours so don't let me down.  Smiley   
This is Bambi rolling her eyes. --->> Roll Eyes

I know nothing, just adding to the resopnse count  Tongue

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 04:30 PM »

I use alot of dynex cd/dvd sleeves for single cd and dvds. For cds that i would carry in the car i got a few "books" that hold them and zipper shut from case logic. Both are more then durable for my uses.

Sine Metu!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 04:44 PM »

+1 for Case Logic Sleeve Pages.  Fellowes and Kensington also has something similar. How many CD are you talking? 

While there is probably more than a little snake oil mixed in "archival sleeves" for CDs are priced through the roof.

ATB,
Sam

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:32 PM »

Can't help you with a rec on which sleeves but I like Rob's suggestion on the binder type, I've used those. Unless you're getting some sort of index box arrangement the 4x binders would seem easier to index and find the disk you're looking for. Better yet get a big external drive and get your PC interfaced to your TV/Stereo then digitize everything so you can put those originals in the back of the closet or under the stairs. In the mean time just like for vinyl (remember those?) something that won't "Sweat" would be best, at least one side made of that synthetic fabric so they can breathe.  I've had cd's get stuck in those clear vinyl sleeved car wallets from humidity and heat in the car so I would avoid sleeves where both sides can't breath. Since CD's and DVD's will degrade if stored improperly something non-acid just like for photographs etc should increase their life. Including some sort of absorbent or even a "Silver cloth" sheet or lining inside your storage choice should reduce acids in the surrounding air.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 06:03 PM »

We're probably around 1500 CDs and 300 DVDs.

We still have about 500 albums (vinyl), down from about 3000 years ago.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 08:54 AM »

That will take a few albums won't it? I see your problem, even then it will require a significant storage area and not be inexpensive. Find or get somebody to make you a file cabinet type arrangement, my preference in that case would be paper if you can find some with a cello window to see the disk like many computer disks come in. Woulld hate to have to label 2000 sleeves.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
david barnby
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 09:40 AM »

go for 100% why settle for 75?

rip them all to a hard drive then throw away the media along with the jewel cases

cd discs have limited physical lifetime apparently anyway

and if you really want to save space I will arrange to have your lps picked up any time Smiley Smiley Smiley
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 08:28 AM »

John,

a little late to post but I just saw this special from Target

Atlantic Parade 96 Disc Storage:

Stores and organizes 96 CDs.  Categorize 24 CDs each in 4 color-coded binders.  Stack and lock additional units on sides or top.  Protects your valuable CDs in non-woven polypropylene sleeves.  Mounts on the wall for added flexibility and creativity.  Fresh Black and Clear Ribbed Styling with Pull Rings

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 06:14 AM »

Recommendations on software and settings for Ripping?

. . . Better yet get a big external drive and get your PC interfaced to your TV/Stereo then digitize everything

rip them all to a hard drive then throw away the media along with the jewel cases

John please forgive the intrusion on your topic, similar related...

Please see new thread regarding my questions.

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=4672.0
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:44 AM by onlye » Logged

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum