GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 11:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver Fox 2.3 PRO (quick thoughts and first impressions)  (Read 4523 times)
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: February 19, 2011, 02:34 AM »

was lucky enough to spend some time with one of these tonight (thanks kent) and can say those of you who ordered them, should be pleased indeed.

the kite is well put together with several nice touches in its construction. the standoff connectors are not the problematic old clip style but rather the newer screw in type. it's a small thing, and all kites should have them, but the SF PRO comes with vinyl end caps to cover the wingtips. bridle adjustments are fast and easily accomplished with an innovative pigtail and prusik knot design. the kite also has leader lines included though i didn't notice whether they were incorporated or separable. there's also a flying wings branded hook and loop kite wrap and a two tone drawstring sleeve with a cordlock.

out of the bag the kite has a bunch of oversteer when the sail is anything less than fully loaded. the bridle being so easy to adjust makes this a quick thing to correct though. others may be happy with it right away but with my sloppy inputs i needed a bit larger margin of error. did i mention the bridle is easy to adjust? it's really quite ingenious.

the kite stayed trickable in a fairly stiff breeze (12+mph) without an inordinate amount of pull. the frame seems impressively strong with no appreciable flex during flight, even with strong gusts. the flipside of course, when the wind died off to 5mph it's work to keep it aloft. it felt like a bridle adjustment may help this a bit. there is a leech line but even with tightening the kite has a nice healthy buzz punctuating your corners and highlighting snap stalls.

pitch tricks are quick, really quick, but controllable and not 'floppy'. there's plenty of rotational inertia as well so even double axels are hiding within.

there's two personalities to this kite. fully loaded, screaming, with quick tight corners and decent to good tracking; the other, floating, quiet and tricky. the good news is you seem to be in control which personality is expressed at any given moment, transitioning between them at will.

flying wings has done a really nice job of putting together a well constructed, capable, fun kite. that's not a 'good kite for the price' statement, it's genuinely a nice kite.

i had a nirvana and talon out for flying when kent brought out the SF PRO, and i'll fly any kite (for a while) but i flew it for the rest of a evening and had a good time with it. thanks to kent for letting me demo his new toys.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:36 AM by fidelio » Logged

F¡deli°
DecSkybirds
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50 AM »

Very cool, and now that they should be out soon, I am giving a friendly bump to this topic.

Riders Of Heaven -Shiva STD, Shiva Comp UL, Shiva Full Vent, HQ X-Bow, Prism Quantum, Skyburner Wahoo UL
oldflyer
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:45 AM »

I have just test flown mine for the first time. It’s very very nice! I love the original Silver Fox 2.3. The new ‘Pro’ is even better! Construction quality is first class and flight performance is superb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum