GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 10:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sportkitedesign "Mohawk XS" Review by Adrian Bickerstaffe  (Read 7141 times)
kiteclique
Trade Count: (0)
« on: January 08, 2011, 03:21 PM »

Another great review from Adrian, this time the Sportkitedesign "Mohawk XS"

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/guest/sportkitedesign-mohawk-xs-review-by-adrian-bickerstaffe

Killer layout on this (one in the same colors) on its way to me now Wink

Thanks again Adrian,

-Frazer
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:18 PM by kiteclique » Logged
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:22 PM »

Thanks Adrian for taking the time to type that up & Frazer for posting / hosting the review.

I've been excited to hear someones opinion of this "new" MHXS ever since I heard about the licensing by Sportkitedesign. New life, this kite deserves it, it's one of the best tricking kites I've ever flown. I still want to fly the remake for myself, I'm about as big a MHXS fan as there is. I have a standard and two different ULs. I've put more time in on the MHXSs in the last several years than anything else I fly by far.

I kind of wished there were more comparisons with the original MHXS instead of the original Mohawk. The original Mohawk XS is really the kite this should be judged against.

It sounds like the new version has taken a few steps back from Rob's MHXS though, bummer. All the negatives you mention are strengths or not an issue on the original. The wind range for one, is very good on my std. I can easily use it down to 4 no problem and less with some work especially in smooth wind. On the high end, the std will go higher than many and never seems to exhibit wing tip shudder, at least as high as I've taken it. The half Axel to Fade is cake on mine, Tazes are nice too.  Other comments seem spot on.

The other thing is my MHXSs are like a Deep Space in size only, the flight and trick characteristics are very different and I would never use the Deep Space to describe the MHXS's tricking. I'm not knocking the DS, but I like the edgier tricks, much better precision and less oversteer of the MHXS.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:33 PM »

Thanks for the review gentlemen. Wink
Ace

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:50 AM »

A very well written and level headed review from a pilot that really knows their stuff. Well done Adrian Cool

Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

Can't wait to give my MXS a real go! only had it out for 10 mins so far.

As for the build quality. It's as good as it gets...

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Ace

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:11 PM »

Update on my experience with this kite.

Really lovin the ease and forgiveness of the MXS. Great all round kite. Other than a twitchy fade there is nothing I can really criticize. All the tricks I know how to do are easier for me on this kite than on any other I have flown. It will dish out way more than I know how to do.

Light on the lines, responsive in the air, pitchy and feels solid and not spongy. Don't think it has any dead spots and if you love JL's and lazy based tricks, you gotta give this a go. Build quality first rate.

Really surprised not much is said about this kite. There's not much new stuff out there. So instead of going for the same old tired kites that seem to crop up time and time again................. try this,........... It is a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23 PM »

I would LOVE to try this kite. 

The one I flew (original mxs) was a taz master. You could do them while drinking a latte while talking on your cell phone with a hangover in 12 mph of wind.

6 kite tom
jaydub

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 11:44 PM »

I've had a couple of short flies on the MXS and like it because it is different, a little idiosynchratic.

It cuts very nice corners for a relatively small kite but I didn't find Tazes were particularly easy, backspins were pretty horrible (very large pull and very definitely barrel rolls) and cascades were a bit tricky.  Lazy stuff and flic flacs were great though.

I dare say things get easier with more time on the lines, but I do get the felling that the SKD version behaves differently to the original AO version.

I would be interested in Frazer's thoughts on his.

Ace

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:54 PM »

There is the addition of roll bars, but otherwise I think the kite was built to original specs. SKD quality touches and mind boggling attention to detail have been added too, so you can bet your dollars on the fact that the kite's build quality far exceeds the original. Cool

kiteclique
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 07:17 AM »

I've had a couple of short flies on the MXS and like it because it is different, a little idiosynchratic.

It cuts very nice corners for a relatively small kite but I didn't find Tazes were particularly easy, backspins were pretty horrible (very large pull and very definitely barrel rolls) and cascades were a bit tricky.  Lazy stuff and flic flacs were great though.

I dare say things get easier with more time on the lines, but I do get the felling that the SKD version behaves differently to the original AO version.

I would be interested in Frazer's thoughts on his.

I never had an original MXS ... so I can't compare it to that ... but I can summarize my thoughts on the SKD MXS so far.

Its a pretty stout STD, which means its low end performance isn't that great, but OTOH it adds some useful range at the upper end. With its lack of pull it makes for a great trick kite when the winds get up on up there. The build quality and presentation (how the kite comes packaged from SKD) is exceptional, right up there with the very best IMHO.

As far as performance, all the tricks are there its just that some are prettier than others. Pulling cascades is not problem, but they're choked off (in my hands) and are more 7-to-5 than 9-to-9 o'clock. I've flown other kites and noticed the same thing, the Saber Mk 1 for example, but its just a matter of making the necessary technique adjustments. Flat spins are not particularly flat, again no doubt thats in large part my fault ... and I'll work on my technique. Backspins are kinda rolly too. Flic flacs are solid though - no deadspot Wink So, old school tricks, could be better and/or are a little demanding of the flier.

But then, the newer, more radical stuff is very good on this kite. Things like Jacob's Ladder, Flapjacks, Multi-lazies, Kombo's are very, very easy to pull off, the MXS is an Insane monster - nice tight rolls and effortless exits. Wap Do Waps ? Well, thats pretty hit and miss for me normally - but I was getting them most of the time although you need to hit the kite pretty hard to get enough rotation. The rollbars obviously make rolling the kite up a simple matter and the MXS has good drive when wrapped. Another area which I really like is ground work ... this is great fun with the MXS - all manner of take offs and landings.

So, yeah, I like it. Its a little different from most of the designs, and thats good thing, because there are too many lazy, derivative designs out there. 

-Frazer

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:30 PM by kiteclique » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 11:14 AM »

Really surprised not much is said about this kite.

Years ago a lot of people had a really bad experience with the original Mohawk and/or it's maker. I'm glad a good kite came out of all that.

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:36 AM »

Years ago a lot of people had a really bad experience with the original Mohawk and/or it's maker. I'm glad a good kite came out of all that.
And the award for this year's Most Diplomatic Post goes to.....

Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
jaydub

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40 AM »

There is the addition of roll bars, but otherwise I think the kite was built to original specs. SKD quality touches and mind boggling attention to detail have been added too, so you can bet your dollars on the fact that the kite's build quality far exceeds the original. Cool
Believe the bridle's different - one of Adrian's.  Agree on the build quality - very,very nice.  Cool
Ace

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15 PM »

Yeah the bridle was one of Adrian's recommendations. Pretty much just a three point with some pitch adjustment. Not too sure what was on the original. But from what people say. I think it was lucky dip as to what you got on the original. Consistency wise that is Wink

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 09:20 PM »

From what I understand, the bridle is different from the original.  I love my original MHXS std and the ULs are excellent. I would still really like to fly the new version.

Say what you want about Rob, but he had this kite design nailed and dialed in.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
kiteclique
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 09:17 AM »

Say what you want about Rob, but he had this kite design nailed and dialed in.
Sorry, but that's utter nonsense.

No two kites from Rob were the same ... and I should know I had a complete "set" of Mohawks. I have a friend here locally with a Mohawk with noticeable curve to the leading edges and yet every other one I've seen has absolutely straight leading edges.

I'm told that his building had improved by the time of the MXS - but he continued to tweak the design. The version offer by SKD is faithful to the example provided by Rob, but as we've established in another thread it is not identical to earlier versions of the design.

Contrast this say with err, um ... an established builder. Improvements maybe be introduced over time, but the fundamentals of the kite remain the same.

-Frazer
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:02 PM by kiteclique » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document