GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 10:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sportkitedesign "Mohawk XS" Review by Adrian Bickerstaffe  (Read 7461 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 09:58 AM »

Say what you want about Rob, but he had this kite design nailed and dialed in.
Sorry, but that's utter nonsense.

No two kites from Rob were the same ... and I should know I have a complete "set" of Mohawks. I have a friend here locally with a Mohawk with noticeable curve to the leading edges and yet every other one I've seen has absolutely straight leading edges.

I'm told that his building had improved by the time of the MXS - but he continued to tweak the design. The version offer by SKD is faithful to the example provided by Rob, but as we've established in another thread it is not identical to earlier versions of the design.

Contrast this say with err, um ... an established builder. Improvements maybe be introduced over time, but the fundamentals of the kite remain the same.

-Frazer

Utter nonsense in your opinion, highly qualified in mine. Since I own and fly the Air Oeuvre version on a regular basis, I'll stick with my opinion.

The original Air Oeuvre Mohawk XS is a well dialed in design. I base my comments not on the first non XS Mohawk or any other kite that Rob made but on the fact that I've flown quite a few original MHXS and own three. The design is excellent, they feel like they are set up well and the kites design is mature.  All that I have tried have flown and tricked very well without any odd behavior. Tazes, Cascades, Backspins are all cake on the original. The wind range of the standard is similar to a Deep Space. The ones I own are all a bit different because they were all framed different for different wind ranges. The ones that were framed the same fly and trick the same. It is a great kite, get over it already.

I'm not going to defend Rob or any of the thing he did or said. But he obviously evolved as a kite maker / designer as time went on. I own / have owned several of his last designs and quite like them all. They have all been sturdy though a little rough in the fit and finish department on a few but at least as good as say R-Sky.

On the SKD version, the fact that it has a different bridle, roll bars and many minor changes in manufacture means that it is not faithful to the original. When you make changes to a kite expect it to be different. When you make multiple changes to a kite design they can compound each other. The outcome can be quite different than just a single modification.  The new version may very well be an excellent kite, just not faithful to the original.

That being said, I have not flown or even seen this version so I can't compare it to the original. But it sure sounds different from what I read in the the review and from what others that have flown it have told me.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
kiteclique
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 06:33 PM »

Say what you want about Rob, but he had this kite design nailed and dialed in.
Sorry, but that's utter nonsense.

No two kites from Rob were the same ... and I should know I have a complete "set" of Mohawks. I have a friend here locally with a Mohawk with noticeable curve to the leading edges and yet every other one I've seen has absolutely straight leading edges.

I'm told that his building had improved by the time of the MXS - but he continued to tweak the design. The version offer by SKD is faithful to the example provided by Rob, but as we've established in another thread it is not identical to earlier versions of the design.

Contrast this say with err, um ... an established builder. Improvements maybe be introduced over time, but the fundamentals of the kite remain the same.

-Frazer

Utter nonsense in your opinion, highly qualified in mine. Since I own and fly the Air Oeuvre version on a regular basis, I'll stick with my opinion.

You even sound like Robert Randolph Roll Eyes

The original Air Oeuvre Mohawk XS is a well dialed in design. I base my comments not on the first non XS Mohawk or any other kite that Rob made but on the fact that I've flown quite a few original MHXS and own three. The design is excellent, they feel like they are set up well and the kites design is mature.

And yet he felt the need to constantly chop and change his designs, the bridles, the materials, the framing, rollbars, no rollbars.

It is a great kite, get over it already.
*Was* a great kite.

And theres really nothing to get over ... you're the one with bee in their bonnet complaining that the kite has changed.

The irony is that it was always changing - even when Rob was building them, I'm not alone in this opinion.

I tell you what - why don't you measure your STD and post the specifics - framing dimensions, bridle, tail weight et all.

And then I can compare to what I have sitting here.

-Frazer
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:42 PM by kiteclique » Logged
Kabel
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 11:49 AM »

Update on my experience with this kite.
Really lovin the ease and forgiveness of the MXS. Great all round kite. Other than a twitchy fade there is nothing I can really criticize. All the tricks I know how to do are easier for me on this kite than on any other I have flown. It will dish out way more than I know how to do.
Light on the lines, responsive in the air, pitchy and feels solid and not spongy. Don't think it has any dead spots and if you love JL's and lazy based tricks, you gotta give this a go. Build quality first rate.
Really surprised not much is said about this kite. There's not much new stuff out there. So instead of going for the same old tired kites that seem to crop up time and time          again................. try this,........... It is a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.                             

hi, as your signature shows, u have the deep space, too. how do they compare to the mohawk xs? do you think they complement each other well?

thanks a lot for your opinion. Smiley
kind regards
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09 AM »

Hi I like both kites and think they both have their strong points. The DS flows from trick to trick but speeds up too much in high wind. It also does not not stay in a turtle for very long which I found frustrating.

On the other hand the MXS does not like low wind but excels everywhere else. I do like the MXS more than the DS as I can do more with it. Build wise your splitting hairs to find a difference both top notch. I also find the MXS more forgiving of my sloppy inputs. At the end of the day both kites will serve you well if you stick too them. But I think you can get further with the MXS ....... Or at least I did and continue to do.

Hope that helps!

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Kabel
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 10:45 AM »

thx for your comment!
 Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum