GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 10:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: More ROK Talk  (Read 1522 times)
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« on: February 20, 2011, 10:19 AM »

I need help. 

We are coming up on some local festivals where another flyer and myself will put on a demo fight with our ROK's.  This is all well and good except he is a thug.  While I fly a 4 foot ROK, he has a monster that is 6 foot plus.

So how do you knock a thug with and oversized kite  out of the sky when you are flying a reasonable sized kite.  He has more lift so if I tip him he can recover better than me.  I am using a stretchable dacron line that is pretty good at avoiding cuts.  (Same line as Rhonda uses on her Taz).

I don't own a shot gun.  So anyone have any ideas.  BTW my style is usually aggressive..

John
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 04:00 PM »

Black Kevlar spear gun cord Cheesy  Search it on e-bay
johnfarl

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:12 PM »

Do I use it on the kite or the thug.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:18 PM »

hmmm.
remember that  a smaller rok is going to be a lot more agile and turn faster.  you can get the kite to turn faster by bowing the spine as well - it will be a little harder to fly but it will be more responsive!!!

other options: pick up a cheap premier 6' rok....even the playing field....

Kevlar is great stuff. but it can cut people too! I do have a winder of straight Kevlar line. harsh. but good!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 06:21 PM »

btw another way to level the playing field is for you guys to use other fighting kites.
edos
yotzus
middle eastern designed fighters
bukas
there are othe options that would probably create a reason for you to get more kites!!!

you could also do a contest like an Indonesian fight where one kite has a long paper tail that the other kite has to cut of....

where are you guys located???

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DGomberg

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:04 AM »

Actually, your premise is wrong. Large kites are much slower to recover than smaller or mid-sized ones. Tip them once, and they are usually out.

Similarly, larger roks can't easily slacken their line to protect against line cuts.

Bottom line, big kites are easy targets.

dg
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:35 PM »

One of the best "small rok" strategies I've seen is to fly the smaller kite INTO the bridle of the larger kite:

It's incredibly destabilizing!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:42 PM »

Agree with Dave, that's why I made the earlier comment (or in the other thread) on being disadvantaged since the rules are no longer followed in the contests I compete in. I realize the necessity of it in order to get more participants though and a battle isn't much fun with just a few teams, disadvantaged or not. But I like a 6' to 2 meter Rok, it's a challenge thing I guess.

One year after I had learned the cutting technique the team pushed me on the front every round. The contest was so good that year and the audience so responsive they decided after three rounds to go 5 rounds. I physically could not pull the line in any longer, my arms and legs were rubber, Richard noticed and told me to call "PULL IN" and he would step to the lead to pull line. Like I said a Team Rok battle is the most fun you'll ever have flying a kite, it might hurt like heck the next day but you'll still be smiling. Especially if you get the audience worked up. That year the whole group got involved, we had cardboard life-size Bozo figures being paraded around the perimeter, all the family members and kids stirring up the audience, banter with the other teams and the crowd on the sidelines, sand kicking on the referee's shoe's when they wouldn't give us the point for taking out a Cassagne's Crown that unwittingly got caught in the fray, we were sure that was worth bonus points. As I recall since we had won the previous 2 years one team even had some "No Bozo's" shirts. It was something to finish a round and hear 5,000+/- people chanting "Bozo's, Bozo's, Bozo's" from the beach, dunes & boardwalk.

Bozo has moved on, much of that team has moved on, I grab whoever is left and anybody I can hornswaggle off the dunes to grab onto the line. A couple have become Team now flying a couple years with us, but I fully expect them to have their own kite soon. I've broken 150 lb Dacron between me trying to run forward and the others going backwards when the kite was diving. Don't think we've won since, maybe or at least placed since I do recall giving the ribbon to Rodger a "Never flown a kite before"  team mate, he was tickled, going to show his kids that he did something other then play Nintendo.

Don't worry about advantage or disadvantage, fly it, everybody wins in a Team Battle.

oh and Kevlar or wire is against the rules, I have Kevlar line, we fly Dacron  AKA Fighter & Rok Rule Book
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 01:16 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
johnfarl

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:38 PM »

Great comments.

I have always liked the attitude of Rok fights.  Jump up and down and act like you won until someone straightens you out.  Or was that lays you out.  Whatever.

I like Dave's idea of going for the bridle.   One of things I did on my kite was to make the bridle as small as possible.  That seems to have improved my results.

Thanks for all the help.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum