GWTW Forum
September 15, 2014, 02:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New type of enjoy for flying Kites in forest with the limited space  (Read 3857 times)
bell
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 10:52 PM »

Bell Chiu
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 12:38 AM »

Inquiries are being made... That's a kite with personality.

Ummm... greeny/yellow, for the first one...  Wink

WinterDaze AoF
ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53 AM »

O ye of little faith ...

Yea, that is me, I had to get my Vampire Devil and Prediciton 250 out of Asia. The Laima video has been up for a week over there.

"Do what you like"
cordover

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 07:24 PM »

I was just thinking about the shape of this kite vs Aerobe, Skate, etc.  The kite looks buoyant and pretty maneuverable. The gull-wing shape has evolved over about 250 million years for that perfect combination of both soaring on the wind and agility to escape predictors (or to be one).  However clever we may be, we will not outguess natural selection.  Otherwise birds would be shaped like Horvath's Urban Ninja! Our challenge has been to get a kite to move it's wings so as to glide, or turn and swoop when we want it to, by pulling on a single string.  Bell may have figured it out.  The Focus Manta is floaty, alright (and meditative and beautiful), not not nimble.  Longbottom's Pterodactyl gets closer, but I am still looking for that perfect balance. Very much looking forward to the reports of this one in flight.
bell

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 09:56 PM »

Bell Chiu
cordover

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 11:59 PM »

I happen to chat with a friend in Taiwan, inquiring about getting an early version of this beauty, since you all think they come out in Asia first and she's very much in that scene. She knows the designer! Apparently the kite was named after a beautiful local bird.  The Latin name is Megalaima oorti (common name: Barbet) and he shortened it to Laima to be catchy.  Easy to understand why someone would pick the Latvian version, since it's the first thing that comes up on google and the real name one is a shortened.  That would make the pronunciation Lay'muh, though I'm happy to bow to whatever Flying Wings Kites wants to call it, so long as I can get one.  
bell

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 04:18 AM »

Bell Chiu
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 07:38 AM »

Thanks for the pic's Bell, the Pink looks to actually be Pink & Purple, the Aerobe/Wala was misleading and didn't arrive in the colors pictured which were also Pink/Purple but came in much different. All are stunning, decisions ... decisions ... love the pink/purple in the sun but they get lost on cloudy days, yellow? white/blue is my favorite for UL's ... don't have many green kites ... I hate choosing colors.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kvriet

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 03:31 PM »

I live in the Netherlands, so due to the shipping rates, I might buy one in Europe if I can get it.

The sparring details are great. I especially like the wing-design; it reminds me of Carsten Domann's Pterodactyl because of the leading edge connectors. They both look like a sport kite in the wings to me. Also, I find it brilliant that the little fiber rod goes through the spine so that it is in front of the kite. I presume this prevents any flapping that might occur if the rod would've been unsupported on the backside.
Not to mention the tensioning system along the spreader...

I wonder what would happen if you'd put these wings on Derefat's l'Oiseau. Might be interesting to try out.

EDIT: nevermind, I saw a youtube video of bird kites in Dieppe, that last idea has already been tried out in various forms.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:25 AM by kvriet » Logged
Carlton

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 10:49 PM »

Hmmm... Steve had posted that earlier but I see it's gone now, wonder if production isn't set yet? Very cool, almost up there with Ramlal's L'Oiseau, looking forward to more details. I hope it see's production, nothing on the site yet, but then I can't find the Wala/Aerobe either there.

To be relaeased next month, probably not in the USA, like the Vampire Devil SLK, VD Quad, Prediction 250 etc. If you want FLK you got to buy in Asia for the most part. Cool

Where in Asia?  Anyplace in Hong Kong or southern China?

So the wife asks, "Why learn a half axle if you can already do a full axle?"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document