GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 07:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help with a PC fan  (Read 1816 times)
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: January 12, 2011, 07:15 AM »

heres what i have:

AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 6000+ 3.00 GH
RAM 2.00 GB
32 bit

Steve thought our fan was a little squealy..  i couldnt hear it but he could so he bought this fan:

SpeedFan 4.42
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I HATE  this thing..  it kicks up on high soon as you start the computer, you have to open it up (program) and kick it down.. 

I am a Farmville addict..  there i said it Huh  This fan kicks up into high gear soon as i get to my farm and stays there..  I go to the desktop to kick it down and i have noticed  for the past couple of days it is in the high temp zone  114 degrees or so.

What kind of fan do we need? 

And don't tell me not to play farmville.. it's my only zen while i am going t school..  and besides i have kite flying ducks Tongue

Thanks so much and many smiles to you all..
debbie
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:34 AM by oyehut1955 » Logged

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 07:31 AM »

That's not a fan, just a piece of software that controls the fan speed.

Is your computer a brand name computer or one that was custom assembled?

Has the computer been cleaned on the inside recently?  Dust buildup and little bunnies make greast insulators that lead to excessive heat.

If the fan is physically worn  (generally bearings) out the software won't have much to do with solving the problem.

Fan noise can be reduced by replacing the fan with a high quality fan, if you are experiencing one that is failing or degraded to the point of ineffectiveness.  Sometimes, if space permits, people sometimes switch to a larger fan running at a slower speed (so moving the same amount of air, measured in CFM, cubic feet per minute) to reduce noise.  Replacement fans generally also include info on how much noise they generate.

As always more details and backstory can only help.

ATB,
Sam
oyehut1955

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 07:40 AM »

ir is a fan..  that is the software that came wit it..  he put it in about 5 months ago.. and yeah he does clean the inside pretty often..  it is custom built.. and has a clear side with vents so we can see inside..  its easy to get to and clean..

its speed fan 4 40

i think we need a bwetter quality of fan.. he only paid about $15.00

thanks Sam

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:49 AM »

Fan noise is caused by blade design and speed, lower quality fans don't have as much investment in the blade design and may be setup to run at a higher RPM to move the same amount of air. Nicks, casting flash not cleaned off or grime on the blades can cause excessive noise to.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
oyehut1955

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 07:56 AM »

so can you recommend a better fan? 

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:20 AM »

can you identify whether it's the cpu fan or the power supply fan which is making the noise? if the source of the noise isn't accurately diagnosed you could replace a component and have little affect on the annoyance.

114*F is warm at low load but isn't really anything to worry too much about, 114*C is a different story.

aftermarket thermal solutions can dramatically reduce the noise produced as long as you put the oil on the squeaky wheel so to speak.

Fdeli
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 08:21 AM »

I have a Noctua CPU cooler and I love it! Their fans are supposed to be pretty good. Check out Tom's Hardware site for PC related stuff.

Bob D.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:39 AM »

cheap fan=noisy fan
But if your not getting good transfer between the heatsink on the cpu and the cpu itself it will run hot and in turn tell the fan to run faster to try and remove the heat. It does sound like it's running hot.

Sine Metu!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 10:11 AM »

• With the machine turned off, open the side panel.
  • Make sure you don't make contact anything and turn the machine on.
  • Locate the fan that is making the noise.
  • Shut down the machine
  • Unplug the machine (some capicators can still hold a charge (shocking  Huh) with the machine pluged in.... give it a while to discharge.)
  • You just need to get the measurement for the offending fan.  This is generally the diameter of the blade/airflow path.  Typically sizes are 40mm, 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm.
  • Fan depth is generally fairly standard, but you sholuld take that too.
  • If you are getting the measurement for the CPU fan, you need to take some care not to jostle it.
  • CPU fans are generally attached to the CPU, thus: Fan, some type of cage or frame, the heatsink, a layer of silver/thermal compound, and the CPU itself.
  • Jostleing the fan or cage, can crack the silver/thermal compound which can cause less than peak performance with the replacement fan.
  • For a CPU fan, the size is generally determined/restricted by the size of the heatsink/cage.  Unless you intend to replace the heatsink, a straight swap for one of the exact same size is the simplest path.
  • Fans of the same size can vary greatly in performance due to differences in blade design, type/efficiency of bears and the type of motor used.
  • If you remove the heatsink, you will also need to remove and replace the thermal compound (Arctic Silver is very popular).

The manufacturer and model info for your current fan should be located on the fan blade hub unless it is a no-name. 

The Noctua cooler looks nice, but I have no direct experience with it.  Other quality fans are made by Panaflo, ThermalTake, CoolerMaster, Antec, but there are many others.  Tom's Hardware, MaximPC, AnandTech, and other PC hardware sites will give you more insight as to what is out there.

NewEgg, FrozenCPU, CoolerGuys, Directron are some sources for gear.

Post back with fan details if you need more info.  Googling SpeedFan 4 40 only gave me information on the software and not the actual fan.

ATB,
Sam
Albert
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 03:04 PM »

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, www.silentpcreview.com is THE place to go. I haven't been there in a while (haven't had to) but they used to do extensive reviews of fans and everything else  related to cooling and noise.

Albert
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 05:06 AM »

I forgot about silentpcreview! That IS a good site!

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document