GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 06:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stupid Question?  (Read 2298 times)
Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: January 14, 2011, 06:39 PM »

Hi all. I have really been wanting to build a kite. Specifically a B'Zar. Should I build a 2010 or wait for the 2011 plans?Also, this is the stupid question part, I see the plans and understand them, but what do I do with them? Should I print them to a 1:1 scale of the kite?If not, where can I get the measurements of all of the panels?
Thanks a-lot and sorry for the NEWB question. Embarrassed
Alfredo.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:30 PM »

You print them and tape them together, It's best then to use those prints to make some templates out of a heavy poster-board or better for the actual cutting of the fabric.

2010 or 2011? well you could do the 2010 now as your first attempt at building, then when the 2011 plans come out you'll have that much more experience to tackle them. 

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 12:05 AM »

For your first kite I would recommend the B'zar 2010. 

From what I have read so far, the 2011 has 'broadseaming'.  This involves sewing curved panels to other curved panels which is more complicated for a first time constructor.  The B'zar 2010 has straight edged panels, so is much easier to sew correctly.

The plans can be printed out onto A4 or Letter sized paper, then glued together.  Or you can take the file to a printing shop that has a wide format printer and get a full size print on one sheet of paper

Good luck, let us know how you go

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:49 AM »

I would object to building a B'zar as your first build... check out another website and take a crack at building a simpler kite by Chris Derefat called L'Quartz.  http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html is the website with step by step instruction.  The kite is very good, you will feel good about the build, and will be less likely to make mistakes than with the B'zar.

I think the B'zar is a great kite, but I would hate to have you be turned off from kite building because you tackled a more complex design (Larger kite with curved seems to sew and less detail in the plan than the step by step instruction of l'quartz).  The quartz will also be a cheaper design to build as it uses a mostly pultruded carbon frame rather than more expensive skyshark tubes (with the exception of the lower spreaders).

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:48 AM »

Very sound advice from sugarbaker. I've built both of these and the L'Quartz is a much easier build. Its also a lot of fun to fly.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Alfredo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:45 AM »

You print them and tape them together, It's best then to use those prints to make some templates out of a heavy poster-board or better for the actual cutting of the fabric.

2010 or 2011? well you could do the 2010 now as your first attempt at building, then when the 2011 plans come out you'll have that much more experience to tackle them. 
Thanks, I was just unsure about the plans. Smiley
Alfredo

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
Alfredo

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:46 AM »

For your first kite I would recommend the B'zar 2010. 

From what I have read so far, the 2011 has 'broadseaming'.  This involves sewing curved panels to other curved panels which is more complicated for a first time constructor.  The B'zar 2010 has straight edged panels, so is much easier to sew correctly.

The plans can be printed out onto A4 or Letter sized paper, then glued together.  Or you can take the file to a printing shop that has a wide format printer and get a full size print on one sheet of paper

Good luck, let us know how you go
Thanks for the idea of printing it as a whole. Sounds like it could make things easier.

Alfredo

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:48 AM »

I would object to building a B'zar as your first build... check out another website and take a crack at building a simpler kite by Chris Derefat called L'Quartz.  http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Home.html is the website with step by step instruction.  The kite is very good, you will feel good about the build, and will be less likely to make mistakes than with the B'zar.

I think the B'zar is a great kite, but I would hate to have you be turned off from kite building because you tackled a more complex design (Larger kite with curved seems to sew and less detail in the plan than the step by step instruction of l'quartz).  The quartz will also be a cheaper design to build as it uses a mostly pultruded carbon frame rather than more expensive skyshark tubes (with the exception of the lower spreaders).

Yeah, I was comparing the plans of theB'zar and L'quartz and it realy does seem like the L'quartz is a better option as a first build.
Thanks a lot. Grin

Alfredo

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 09:49 AM »

Very sound advice from sugarbaker. I've built both of these and the L'Quartz is a much easier build. Its also a lot of fun to fly.  Wink

Denny
Nice! Thanks. Now what about an all mylar L'quartz....... Huh
Alfredo.

Lex B
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 08:15 AM »

Denny
Nice! Thanks. Now what about an all mylar L'quartz....... Huh
Alfredo.
That would look realy nice, but you'll have to work realy neat, otherwise, all your beginners mistakes, would be very visible
Ofcourse when you're new on the sewing-machine ;-P

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 08:52 AM »

Alfredo, what about to glance at the C. Derefat's Vortex? It was my first built and it's the newer kite from Christian, actually he is drawing a new kite for the 2011, but it's still early for that.
The Vortex is a great and very fun kite and not hard to built, sewings aren't too curved so relatively easier to make, check my Vortex here  http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=3452.0 and then take your final decision  Wink

Paolo
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 09:11 AM by Svolazzo » Logged
Alfredo

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:00 AM »

Hi Paolo, Thanks for showing me this. I think I like it better and it does seem to be an easier build.
Thanks again,
Alfredo.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum