GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 02:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beach flying spots, March, near Charleston, SC  (Read 1501 times)
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: January 14, 2011, 08:13 PM »

My wife and I are attending a wedding in Charleston, SC this March. We will stay a week to go explore up/down the coast. Right now, my wife is interested in going to Savannah. Something must have have caught her eye on Oprah!!!!! We might even go to Atlanta to see their little pop/soda museum.  Wink

I'll probably take a Rev II and possibly a glider, if it fits in my suitcase. What are the nice beaches to fly at along that part of the coast? Is Myrtle Beach kite friendly or is it too built up?

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:20 PM »

Isle of Palms is a great beach for kites.  Nice and wide and usually not too crowded. 
lylenc

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:51 PM »

Thank you. We'll check it out.

nckiter

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:35 PM »

Except for Hilton Head  Angry I've always found kite friendly beaches in SC. In the Charleston area, I've flown quite a bit at Folly Beach near an area the locals call the wash out. Myrtle Beach has some good flying spots also, I usually try the North Myrtle Beach area, what used to be called Ocean Drive and up towards the NC line. March should have good winds, have fun!
spencers dad
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:47 PM »

If you are going to Savannah you should try Tybee Island, the beach is in great shape
lylenc

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 05:45 PM »

Just returned from Charleston, SC. Flew Rev 2 at Folly Beach and Isle of Palms two times each. Thanks for the suggested flying spots. We spent the entire week near Charleston and never made it to Savannah or Myrtle Beach.

First time at Folly Beach was high tide, so most of the wind window was over the sand dune and fence, but some beach and water on the right side of the window. Second visit at end of week was closer to low tide and much more sand to play with. Isle of Palms had wider beach at high tide. It also had much more expensive homes. Neither beach any other quad or dual line flyers. Only saw three kides with plastic slks the first outing at Folly and and two slks about a quarter mile down the beach the second outing.

Folly Beach, Rev 2

Folly Beach, Rev 2 & three kids with slks

Isle of Palms, Rev 2

Isle of Palms, classy beach house
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 06:20 PM by lylenc » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography