GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 07:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kites and Air Travel  (Read 2808 times)
skyguy48
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 17, 2011, 02:55 AM »

Planning for a trip in early March to The Great Pacific Northwest.
My sister is very ill, and the prognosis doesn't look good.
However, she loves kites, so I want to pack a mini festival to take with. I plan on taking just soft kites and laundry.

I know the weight and size limits (50 lbs, 62 linear inches per bag) for the airline I'm using, and will be biting the bullet on paying for an extra bag considering the circumstances.

I ordered a couple of compression bags in an attempt to squeeze in as much as possible. My tentative plan is to fill those and stuff them into larger duffle type bags.

It's been ages since I've flown with kites, so I guess I'm just looking for any tips and/or tricks used by frequent fliers. 

TIA,
Bill
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:12 AM by skyguy48 » Logged

Just Fly It!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:52 AM »

I am happy to hear that you can bring a smile to her with such simple things in this time!!!

where is she located?  there might be other flyers in the area that might come out to help build a fest.

long kite bags work well. check the airlines website as sometimes there is special fees/discounts for skis and fishing poles.

my preference is to ship them out ahead of time. less expensive than paying to have them on the plane.  then they also would intrigue your sister when they get delivered to her house and sit in a corner waiting for you to arrive - something to look forward to is always a good thing!!!!

this will be a wonderful thing for you to do Bill!!

good winds
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
skyguy48

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:24 AM »

I am happy to hear that you can bring a smile to her with such simple things in this time!!!

where is she located?  there might be other flyers in the area that might come out to help build a fest.

long kite bags work well. check the airlines website as sometimes there is special fees/discounts for skis and fishing poles.

my preference is to ship them out ahead of time. less expensive than paying to have them on the plane.  then they also would intrigue your sister when they get delivered to her house and sit in a corner waiting for you to arrive - something to look forward to is always a good thing!!!!

this will be a wonderful thing for you to do Bill!!

good winds
r
She is actually located in a great spot for flying kites, just north of Ocean Shores, Washington and almost right on the beach. She and her husband have managed an RV park there for years.
I have been in touch with several kite fliers in the area, and they have graciously volunteered to come fly with us.
Have also sent a message to one of the members of the Westport Windriders kite club to ask if there are some who might be willing participate. A bunch of good folks there.
Still very much in the research/planning stage, but have determined that I can fly with 2 checked bags for $40, so am thinking that I won't find anything much cheaper.

Anyone who might be in the area between March 2nd through the 16th would be more than welcome!
Thanks for the tips Thief, much appreciated!

Just Fly It!
DGomberg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 05:55 AM »

This might help a bit. Safe travels!

http://www.gombergkites.com/faq/faq-trav.html
greenbulletblues

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:13 AM »

Here is another idea.  I have a hard plastic shotgun case that has foam inserts that can be removed.  It is plenty long enough and would hold several kites.  It is not heavy duty, but would certainly be strong enough to prevent damage.  I think I bought mine at Walmart reasonably inexpensive.  I have not tried to travel with it, but don't think it would be a problem.

Wishing you and your sister all the best.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:23 AM »

Quite a few people use one or another of these when traveling with kites:

http://www.sportube.com/pages/home.php
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 09:18 AM »

For stick kites, I second what JimB said. I use the SporTube double ski case.

Since your initial post said you're just taking soft kites, I'd agree with your thought of the duffle-type bag. DG uses large duffles for his soft kites, with or without compression bags inside. I use a larger version of a rolling duffle like this Eagle Creek ORV Trunk. By the time you load it to 50 pounds (very easy to do), it's kinda tough to lug it yourself to/from the airport without the wheels. With two heavy bags, I wouldn't do it without wheels.

I've also priced shipping costs and, for me at least, it's less expensive to pay the airline fees than ship it with UPS or FedEx.

That's a great thing you're doing for your sister.

Bob
skyguy48

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 09:38 AM »

Thank you all for your tips and suggestions! Great stuff!

What started out as just a little family get together to fly a few kites, is growing at an amazing rate!
I mentioned to a few friends in that area what we were going to do, and it has resulted in 4 other kiters have promised to come put on a real kite show.

Amazing people, kite people.

Just Fly It!
Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41 AM »

Best wishes for your sister's health. Smiley
Alfredo.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
Carlton

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 09:47 PM »

I've use a document tube, and had no problem, except here in Asia, I have to check it in and out at special counters because of the over sized length.  Kinda like the one Nicolas Cage carried around the Declaration of Independence in National Treasure, only longer.  Put the kites inside, wrapped in bubble wrap and had no problems.  The document tube is adjustable in length and the longest one I could find at a stationary store.  If you can't find one locally, you can find one on the net, and it's a lot, lot cheaper than the ski case.

So the wife asks, "Why learn a half axle if you can already do a full axle?"
skyguy48

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:19 AM »

Much great advise! Thank you!

Think I now have all of the soft kites, line and laundry etc figured out.

Decided to go ahead and take a few stick kites too, and put 'em in one of these:
http://www.cabelas.com/flambeau-bazuka-8482-rod-tubes.shtml
Stumbled across one at a garage sale for $7.  Grin

If anyone is near the area, and isn't busy, and looking for an excuse to fly some kites, this would be a good one.  Smiley

Place: Ocean City, Washington, right at the beach access.
Date: Sunday, March 13th
Time: All day starting around 9:00AM

Thanks so much again

Bill

Just Fly It!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 07:21 AM »

Awesome snag on the Bazuka.

If you are locking the Bazuka tubes, you might want to opt for a cable-type TSA Lock.
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-4688D-Accepted-Assorted/dp/B000WO84Z2

If you use a lock with a sold shackle, ugly things happen on the conveyor belt.  Roll Eyes  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document