GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which one? 4D or Hypnotist (Zephyr was the choice)  (Read 3498 times)
RevJim
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: January 16, 2011, 01:23 PM »

I flew kites years ago. Now I'm ready to buy a new kite. I'm trying to decide between the 4D and Hypnotist. Over time, I believe I'll buy both of them. I believe the Hypnotist would be my first choice, if I didn't live in NW Georgia. It's not the best location for steady wind. It seems the Hypnotist is a great kite that would serve me well for a long time but I wouldn't get to fly it as often. The 4D can fly on a gentle breeze. They can even fly indoors with shorter lines. I have ready access to a couple of gymnasiums. I know the easy answer is to buy both. I'm just not ready to spend that much at one time. In particular I need insights from those of you who own one or both of these. Right now I'm leaning toward the Hypnotist...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 08:00 AM by RevJim » Logged
Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:27 PM »

Hey again, I would probobaly wait until the new line-up for prism is annouced. Who knows, There might be some drastic changes or improvements to one or both of the kites that you are looking at. Wink As for the first kite, I would prob. go for a Hypno... Smiley
Alfredo.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:09 PM »

They are completely different kites.

The 4D flys well in 0-8 or so in my opinion. Easy for beginners to fly in even 1 mph.

The Hypnotist needs some wind to fly - I'd say 5 or more.

If you are beyond the nose-dive stage I'd check out steves promo on the silver fox pro.

6 kite tom
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 03:17 PM »

Well, depending on what you consider your skills to be there is a few choices.  The hypnotist is a good kite but if you have some flying history you may want to get into something that will suit your wind range and give you more room for improvement.  In the prism line up I would recommend the Zephyr over the hypno especially if you are past the lawn dart stage.  Its more then the hypno but will give you more kite for your money Imo and you won't outgrow it much at all.  I have flown mine in as little 2 mph and it will still trick ok that low but is Ideal in 3-10 mph(i use the weight when it gets around 7 mph) and I find its less demanding on inputs than the hypno too.  For its design its still a tough kite and can handle the abuse a beginner can dish out.  The only thing i did to mine was add a thin coat of plasti-dip to the spars at the nose to prevent rod wear and punch through. 

Other kites to consider are the acrobatix, silver fox (pro is too new to recomend but the original is a good kite).  It really depends on your initial budget as to whats a good buy for you.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 03:44 PM »

What Tom said, or even the the Silver Fox 2.3 or 2.5 UL's you'll also find in the store, they are just a few dollars more then the Hypnotist and if your winds are regularly under 5 MPH you would probably have many more opportunities to fly them. The Silver Fox UL's are built between SUL's and Standards, not as fragile as an SUL and still have some mass for tricking. The Hypnotist is a fine kite, it will take a lot of abuse and has easy parts replacement if you should break something but it doesn't find a sweet spot wind wise until somewhere above 5 MPH unless you have those smooth winds. Parts replacement on the Silver Foxes is easy too, Steve can get the Dynamic spars to you quickly even though they aren't listed in the store right now.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RevJim

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 07:09 PM »

Thanks for your help. You guys have given me a lot to think about. There are a lot of options to consider. Lots of kites to read about. I'm glad I don't have to make a decision on it tonight.  Smiley   I'm guessing I'll end up buying a kite that will be joined by another before too long.  Grin
Ca Ike

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 09:17 PM »

Thanks for your help. You guys have given me a lot to think about. There are a lot of options to consider. Lots of kites to read about. I'm glad I don't have to make a decision on it tonight.  Smiley   I'm guessing I'll end up buying a kite that will be joined by another before too long.  Grin
Yep you will.  I came back to the hobby at the beginning of the summer when I got a no brainer deal on a new quantum and 2 jazz ($15 at a yard sale Tongue) and I have added 4 more to my bag since.  I'm looking at 3 more new models as well as replacing some classic prisms I sold off in the late 90's (kicking myself for this a lot lately).  ITs an addicting hobby but rewarding.
Alfredo

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 09:19 PM »

Yep you will.  I came back to the hobby at the beginning of the summer when I got a no brainer deal on a new quantum and 2 jazz ($15 at a yard sale Tongue) and I have added 4 more to my bag since.  I'm looking at 3 more new models as well as replacing some classic prisms I sold off in the late 90's (kicking myself for this a lot lately).  ITs an addicting hobby but rewarding.
Agree 100%.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
RevJim

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 07:59 AM »

Wow, this has been quite a process. With Steve's recent offer I went ahead and bought the Zephyr. It should work well in my low winds. I'll have to wait on the 4D or other UL until after I get comfortable with the Zephyr. Thanks again for all the thought provoking comments.
Alfredo

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:09 AM »

Nice! Have fun with your new kite! What color did you buy?
Alfredo.

Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 10:01 AM »

Wow, this has been quite a process. With Steve's recent offer I went ahead and bought the Zephyr. It should work well in my low winds. I'll have to wait on the 4D or other UL until after I get comfortable with the Zephyr. Thanks again for all the thought provoking comments.
Your welcome Jim. Once you get a few hours on the basics in controlling the Z you'll probably love it.  Its a kite that just loves to trick and fly. One thing to keep in mind though is only use the light wind set if the winds are ~4 mph or less.   If there is any gusting above 6-7 mph or if your too hard on your inputs, the 50# set will break pretty easily.
RevJim

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 01:21 PM »

Thanks for the tips on flying the Z. I would rather know this ahead of time a avoid breaking a line!
RevJim

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 01:36 PM »

Alfredo, I got the red Zephyr.
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:36 PM »

Red for Georgia?

That was my reasoning, except for Nebraska.
RevJim

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 06:06 PM »

I do pull for UGA, but I was looking for a kite that would pop against a blue sky. It was actually a tough decision because all four kites looked great.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography