GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 01:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deleting registry keys  (Read 2889 times)
Brian O
Trade Count: (0)

« on: April 11, 2009, 10:18 AM »

I'm cleaning up my PC to restore better system performance. 

I had to manually remove some spyware from the registry and in doing  I see what appears to be all the browsing history everydone on the computer is stored in the registy.   I'm wondering what would happen if I just deleted the key that contains all the browser history that has ever occured on the pc?

It appears to be stored in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/Microsoft/windows/current version/internet settings/zone map/domains"

and in

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/Microsoft/windows/current version/internet settings/zone map/domains"

Its a family computer and there must be 100s if not 1000s of files under the "domains" category which seem to be all bookmarks etc.

Is simply deleting "domains" a very bad idea?  I'm sure it doesn't take up too  much space and I see kite related info and other history related to browsing I still do today but I really don't care about the early developmental stuff we looked at with or for my kids as they grew up and now that they use the computer they load more stuff on it than I can keep up with.

Thoughts?

BERKELEYKITES
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:52 AM »

Hi,  here are 2 programs that i would recommend.
always back up your reg.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

unfortunately, if you are running XP then there is little that cleaning the reg will do. the second program recommended will do a lot to unclutter a harddrive. good luck Smiley

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:55 AM by BERKELEYKITES » Logged
kiten00b
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:57 AM »

I've used Ccleaner for years. be sure to click yes when it prompts you to back-up before deleting files in case something goes wrong. I've never needed to use the back-up, but it's nice to know you can reverse any changes you make
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 06:26 PM »

I caution editing the registry, it can make the computer unusable.

One tip, create a restore point before you begin

{start-all programs-accessories-system tools- system restore}

there will be a dot on {restore computer to a earlier time} change to {create a restore point}

that way if system crashes you can reboot into safe mode {keep tapping F8 when starting up} and restore to that restore point.

I would also be sure to have all your important files backed up to a separate HDD or computer. Because I can guarantee that at some point your HDD will crash, they all do, its just a matter of when.

Unfortunately, most people wait until the drive starts acting up, and that my be too late.

I recently purchased a 1 terabyte external drive for under $100, I can backup all three of my desktops and our two laptops

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 08:26 PM »

Always had bad experiences del REG keys. I would be prepared to format and reinstall.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:52 AM »

Is simply deleting "domains" a very bad idea?  I'm sure it doesn't take up too  much space and I see kite related info and other history related to browsing I still do today but I really don't care about the early developmental stuff we looked at with or for my kids as they grew up and now that they use the computer they load more stuff on it than I can keep up with.

Thoughts?

Hey there...

Don't delete 'domains', but all of the sub-data to domains can be deleted. Unfortunately, I looked in my own reg, and there was no info under the heading domains, but if you click 'domains' on the left, and there's a list a mile long on the right, the only one you would have to leave would be the first one called 'default'.
Making a restore point before you do this is always a good idea, and backing up your important data is a good idea, too. Not that this particular reg poke is going to kill your data, but it is a  good idea, especially with an aging machine.

~Rob.

Brian O

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:29 AM »

thanks for the feedback!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change