GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 11:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Rok questions (Tuning, launching, and framing)  (Read 2732 times)
DGomberg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 08:56 PM »

Hi Everyone!

I usually check GWTW every morning so didn't see this thread until lots of advice had been offered. Thanks everyone for your comments.

First, Josiah, I don't have an email from you. When did you write about the rok? It is unusual for me to not answer emails within 24 hours no matter where I am. So if you write and don't hear back, something has gone missing.

The last batch of Gomb-kakus came in with slightly shorted center legs on the bridle. I've asked they be lengthened on the next run. (Welcome to mass production!!) For optimal performance, slide the "tow point" high on this section so the kite leans forward 15-20 degrees. We don't usually mark a main setting.

If you prefer, you can easily replace this bridle section, or I'll be happy to do it for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems. Will you be at Kite party? (I know you are in Southern Cal.)  I'm thinking of dropping in and would be happy to check things over on the beach.

Hope that helps!

David
DGomberg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 06:39 AM »

Found Josiah's email - sent yesterday afternoon - in my spam filter and sent him a PM. Happy to answer any other questions.

David
Gardner
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:39 AM »

First, Talk to Dave Gomberg, he wrote the book on Rocs for US flyers and is a top ROC fighter.  Second, this is a kite designed and built for his company so he knows it.

I have one of his GomKocs and it flew great right out of the bag.

Gardner
Josiah
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:55 AM »

Thanks again for all the replies, especially nckiter and David.

In summary, the bridle was assembled correctly, it was just way out of tune when it arrived.  I should have been braver/smarter and kept sliding the tow point up and up until the kite flew.  Still, I think lengthening the central leg will make tuning it easier, so I plan to make that change myself.  The kite is really nice, and it is amazing that you can get such a large, fully appliquéd kite for such a fantastic price.  I'm sure this will join my other GKites as one of my favorites!

For the record, I have always asked David any questions I have related to his products first, and posted the same questions to the forum later.  While he always gets back with great, friendly advice, it's nice to get another perspective and this way the question also gets "documented" here at GWTW.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document