GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 09:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flying in Chicago??? Recommendations near Shedd Aquarium or Adler Planetarium  (Read 2320 times)
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: January 18, 2011, 06:32 AM »

Tagging along with the wife to a conference and will be at the McCormick Center the first week of June.  This appears to be right across the marina from a HUUUUUGE open, flat area.

Do you know if they allow kite flying in this park (Northerly Island Park)?

I will be taking taxis around so I'd prefer to stay around the McCormick Center.  Is there a better place or one that you know of that I could go to?

Also...anyone out there want to try to connect?  If you wanted, I'd even let you pick me up and drive me somewhere!  hehe

Please let me know if you have any recommendations!
Paul

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:43 AM »

Hi Paul, I have flown right there on the Northerly Island fields when day trips take me into Chicago.  It used to be a small airport but now is essentially an open park field.  I've seen dogs, walkers, bicycles, photographers, occasional families and a kite here and there. Because it's off the beaten track the fields are not very crowded now. I do not know about summer use patterns yet.  Closest parking is the museums which are crowded on the weekends and somewhat $$ due to downtown location.

I know Devin is going to school downtown and has flown there more than I.
Jeff

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 02:38 PM »

Paul, my club, the Illinois Kite Enthusiasts, has had quite a few club flys at Northerly Island in the last few years. It's a nice place to fly when you're down there.

Here's some KAP photos I took a couple years ago while some of us were there...

and
jeepersjoey

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:31 PM »

That is EXCELLENT!  My wife asked me why I was screaming...I was very happy with the pics and the fact that I can FLY there!

Yippie.

I will send out another email when I have confirmed (a few months) and try to connect with some of you for a day or two!

I am very excited....I hope this happens!
Paul

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 07:06 PM »

You'll love that field! My fav place to fly. Can't beat when the wind is coming off the water and you have the city in front of you too! So nice!

If i were still in school in june, I'd ask if you wanted company, but we get out in april this year  Sad .
Have a great time there! Take pics!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Jeff

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 06:34 AM »

That is EXCELLENT!  My wife asked me why I was screaming...I was very happy with the pics and the fact that I can FLY there!

Yippie.

I will send out another email when I have confirmed (a few months) and try to connect with some of you for a day or two!
Stop by over at our club forum (in my signature) when you know, maybe some members would want to join you.

and
jeepersjoey

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:18 PM »

Will do Betty Lou.

Looking at Windmapper it looks like 12+ mph winds.  I am used to 2+ winds in CO.

I will check out your website.
Paul

st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 06:43 PM »

and  the  air  will be  alot  thicker      in Chicago    Paul  GAA

Good air always Bobby
Jeff

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 09:14 AM »

Please let me know if you have any recommendations!
Paul

Hey Paul,

You may just have to return the favor...I might be in the Denver/Boulder area in late July or early August. Will probably be looking for a place to fly out there.  Wink

and
jeepersjoey

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 06:19 PM »

It is a deal.  I have a few places in the 60m radius that are decent.

Bring a light wind kite.  Typically we have 1-5 mph.

There is no good area in Boulder to fly but there is a world class kite store there that is fun to go in but they do not usually fly the things...very very odd. 

You will need to get away from the mountains in order to get the wind.  I have a few large fields that will keep you busy.  We have a rag-tag group of flyers that are somewhere every Sunday.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 06:22 PM by jeepersjoey » Logged

Jeff

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 12:14 PM »

It is a deal.  I have a few places in the 60m radius that are decent.

Bring a light wind kite.  Typically we have 1-5 mph.

There is no good area in Boulder to fly but there is a world class kite store there that is fun to go in but they do not usually fly the things...very very odd. 

You will need to get away from the mountains in order to get the wind.  I have a few large fields that will keep you busy.  We have a rag-tag group of flyers that are somewhere every Sunday.

Well now, I'll be in the Denver/Boulder area on the weekend of August 13-14.

Anyone up for a fly?   Smiley

and
jeepersjoey

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 07:47 PM »

We always fly on Sunday but we can make a special trip somewhere on Sat if that works better for you.

We are scheduled to fly in Sandstone Park that weekend.  It is in Longmont (30m North of Denver).

Let me know the times and dates and we will work around your schedule.  We are always happy to see another kiter in the area!

Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change