GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 12:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help to pick good SUL  (Read 5109 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 18, 2011, 03:31 PM »

Looking light SUL but tricky...
Spetial to can made roll manuver-from stall position to jump in the roll , to wrap the line around it .
Lewis too.
I'm thinking for SD SUL or K2SUL.
I'm not sure does K2 can do that. Also K2 is 2,5m and it will be harder to fly on the shorter lines -K2 is kite for freestile and precision.
I think SD SUL will be good. One more think. I still learn tricks and I need greatfull kite (forgiven kite).
Thanks a lot
all best...boris
PS
Still I can't do Lewis but I like to learn and I wont to have SUL which has capacity for those tricks which will time I will learn it... Roll Eyes
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:09 PM »

Check out Lams Transformer SUL - search for the reports on this site.  It's the trickiest modern SUL that I have yet to fly. 

6 kite tom
in.divi.dual
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 04:32 PM »

Check out Lams Transformer SUL - search for the reports on this site.  It's the trickiest modern SUL that I have yet to fly. 

Doesn't sound like a SUL at all from what Dolphinboy had to say

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=4661.0

"Just don't expect to fly and trick under say, about 2-2.5 mph without lots of effort. I have no clue what the upper wind range for it is."

If it doesn't fly in 2.5mph - its no SUL - end of.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:48 PM »

If it doesn't fly in 2.5mph - its no SUL - end of.

+1.
Maybe the cosmic ghost?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 05:28 PM »

I fly mine in 1mph (or so I've been told by someone who had a meter), in the same wind as I fly the Tattoo - side by side at times.  As with any SUL, clean wind makes a big difference.  Tattoo is "floatier".

Granted, this kite will not fly in the same 0.25mph wind as easily as my Prism 4D will, but if you want tricks-like-a-standard in very little wind, I stand by that this kite delivers.  In 2-3mph, the kite is a full-on, knees-shaking joy to fly.   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:39 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
in.divi.dual
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37 PM »

I fly mine in 1mph, in the same wind as I fly the Tattoo - side by side at times.  As with any SUL, clean wind makes a big difference. 

Granted, this kite will not fly in the same 0.25mph wind as easily as my Prism 4D will, but if you want tricks-like-a-standard in very little wind, I stand by that this kite delivers.

In 2.5mph, the kite is a full-on, knees-shaking joy to fly.

Well thats interesting, you're completely contradicting Dolphinboy's opinion.

I'm surprised there is so much "variance" from one kite to another

tpatter

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 05:49 PM »

Well thats interesting, you're completely contradicting Dolphinboy's opinion.

I'm surprised there is so much "variance" from one kite to another

Not really - I've heard radical differences in opinion with the Ghost as well.  Some love it, some say its a lead balloon.

I think its the difference in wind quality.  I've noticed it on the low end and with many different makes of kites. Could also be the bridle settings I suppose - I honestly don't know.  Certainly not likely construction variance - I've never seen better built kites. 

6 kite tom
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 06:10 PM »

The Ghost is NOT an SUL. Don't know what it weighs, but it almost feels like a standard. Maybe I was expecting an SUL, so it felt extra heavy.

Very tricky though.

SUL and tricky?

The Shadow is the closest I've flown to fit both categories.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 06:17 PM »

I've used the Transformer SUL in less than 2mph but I have to work it more than the Tattoo. But that's just me, Tom has both as well. Tom, has smoother wind than me so his impressions will be different too.

A Sea Devil SUL will have more drive than either but isn't nearly as tricky and rolling up a SD SUL is not real easy. If you want to roll up and fly in SUL you can take the weight off the T SUL and it still rolls up super nice and has a bit more drive. Take off the TW and US and it'll work down real low and still trick better than many standards. It still doesn't feel floaty but tricks & rolls up fast and easy.

Good luck

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:31 PM »

The Ghost is NOT an SUL.

Well it's lighter than their UL so...... ? They have at times described it as an "SUL/UL".

Don't know what it weighs, but it almost feels like a standard.

Nah.  Undecided It's not stupid light but it's light enough.

After acquiring it I've been able to extend my usable wind range for the sort of flying I enjoy down to "I'm pretty sure there is some wind" -mph. Anything less than that and I have to resort to an indoor kite and accept the repertoire limitations that do come with minimum mass kites.

Not really suitable for short lines though.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Dolphinboy

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 06:35 PM »

One more thing, I didn't have my wind meter out, but the wind in that T SUL video was probably .5 to maybe 2 mph max. I was constantly moving or pumping the kite though. I had the TW / US on and 3 pt LS on instead of the 2 pts it comes with. It's no trickier with the 3s I just broke a 2pt and didn't have any more spares.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 06:48 PM »

I have a Shadow & a Tattoo, I give a slight edge to the Tattoo for low wind tricks. I can't get past the looks of the Transformer to dump the $$$ to give it a try. Tom's right about smooth wind playing a large part in low wind performance, I've flown mine inland and they don't perform as well...
Neither would be the kite for less than 1mph, smooth or not. The kites that fly good in that wind don't trick as well, but slow, graceful round tricks can be pretty cool when nothing else will fly. Just different...
~Rob.

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 07:54 PM »

My favorite light wind kite is the Sea Devil UL.... The Fearless SUL flys in lower wind but is not as much fun as my Cosmic TC Ghost....
CV

Dolphinboy

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 10:57 PM »

My favorite light wind kite is the Sea Devil UL.... The Fearless SUL flys in lower wind but is not as much fun as my Cosmic TC Ghost....
CV

Yeah, the SD UL is a nice low wind kite and one of the best SDs but the OP wants to launch into a roll up in SUL wind if I understand correctly. That type of rolling up in a SUL kites is a tough one.

I can't believe I still haven't flown your Ghost (or any other) so I can't comment on whether it'll roll up like that.

The cool thing about the T SUL is whether you classify it as a SUL or a UL whatever, it tricks more like a standard than any UL / SUL I've ever flown. Like a super tricky standard too. And it will roll up in a snap, cascade, comete, bs, jl, yo fade, CC, whatever you want in light wind.

I flew Tom's when I was up there on business and I knew I was going to get one ASAP.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
vigli

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 12:09 AM »

were I can found tattoo kite?. Cant see it on Lams web page? Thanks
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document