GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 02:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help to pick good SUL  (Read 5311 times)
Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 04:01 AM »

Sorry to say but the OP should concentrate on learning to trick on a std kite before trying to do it on a SUL, recipe for a lot of broken sticks!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 04:24 AM »

Just my experience, (and I have alot of kite breaking experience... just ask Steve  Cheesy ) but I break my standard and vented kites more than my ULs and SULs. Winds over 10mph are more likely to cause trouble than winds under 3mph.
Of course, a yank & spank flier may have different results... I've heard of people breaking kites with just thier inputs alone. That's just not the way I fly...

~Rob.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39 AM »

I sure like the sound of the Transformer and the Tatoo and the Ghost and I'd be tempted to lust after them. (I especially like what everyone says about the Transformer because I really like my Fearless.) I have a Prism 3D, Flashlight, Nirvana UL and SUL and I know that my ability to trick them isn't up to par with the rest of you guys. The 3D is too small and floaty for me to do much with. The Flashlight has pretty much stayed in the bag for the last few years because I have kites I'd rather fly. Now the Nirvana UL is a joy to fly because it goes low and still feels like a standard to trick.

When you get to the point where you're not sure there's wind at your back, the Nirvana SUL is just beyond me to trick. It's got 2PTs and I snapped a leading edge yanking on it to axel when I first started flying it. So I'm learning that it takes a lot more finesse to fly it and I wonder if the kites in this thread are the same. I'd be tempted by them but then I'd think that if I don't quite have the skills for the Nirvana SUL, I can't expect to do much better with the others. The Transformer sounds interesting but my Exile std flies really nice when I can barely fly my other standards.

SULs seem like a whole 'nother kind of kite and I have to work on the technique to fly them. When the forecast is for 4 mph but the actual wind speed is nothing at all, I can't get the SUL in the air long enough to learn to do anything with it. So I mostly wait for the days when the wind speed is more favorable and I fly the standards. The SULs will be a longer term project.

Bob D.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 05:39 AM »

Sorry to say but the OP should concentrate on learning to trick on a std kite before trying to do it on a SUL, recipe for a lot of broken sticks!
That's the best advice given in the entire thread.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 09:53 AM »

Denny

+1.

There is nothing sadder than to see the nose blown on a sweet kite like an SD SUL.

6 kite tom
vigli

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 11:30 AM »

Usualy I fly on the sport airport and it has offen enoght wind there.
But next to my building is made one new VERY NICE grass filed  Huh Huh Huh. The wind is offen very low and field is calling me every day to fly but I don't have SUL.
So thats the reason why I'm looking nice SUL.
My goal is light ZEN flying and easy doing some tricks.
I have SD Standard and not sure will SD SUL will be OK, or to go on the slower kite for balet flying K2 for example.
I like SD stand perormance, not sure will SD SUL will have it too, but I really like K2 LOOK and design. K2 is prety light model it is 215gr I think and the only bad thing is that go harder in the roll-up because it is light and 2,5m !
http://www.challengerkites.com/stuntkites/
So question is to go on Lam trickabiliti or K2 design and slower flight :'( :'( :'(
bryan beasley

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 11:32 AM »

Denny

+1.

+2

Sul flying is about my favourite, but it is a different skill alltogether...

Oh, and the Ghost is the best I've flown. Period.

YMMV. ;-)

Bryan
bigwheels
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 01:14 PM »

Take your SD std & restick it. Get some 2 pts , a p100 for the spine, a few smaller APAs, & spend a couple of hours. Good experience & you can marvel at Lam's workmanship & macrame skills. It will save you a few hundred bucks until your ready to step up.
randyg

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 01:56 PM »

Take your SD std & restick it.
Uh, I had to read that twice.  Lips sealed

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 05:06 PM »

the godfather always says, "go with what you want to stand and look it for long periods"

Sine Metu!
Fast EDDY

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10 PM »

The Nirvana SUL  is really good and stiff enough with the ICONE Yellow rods. It is even Lighter and about 15% stronger. The Specs are
Skill Level: Advanced
Wind Range: 0-4mph
Wing Span: 90 inches
Height: 38 inches
Weight:6.5 ounces  Icone 5.3
Bridle:Ultralight
Frame:Sky Shark 2PT / upper spreader ACT .156 x 19 5/8 inches/ Icone Yellow Leading Edges and Lower spreaders
Sail Material: Icarex, Mylar
Flying Lines: LPG 50# x 50' ~ 100' Recommended
Pull: Light

*Commercial link removed*
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:45 PM by JimB » Logged
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 04:00 AM »

The Ghost is amazing from my perspective, but it shares the same weirdness as the rest of that line.  I still have to shift mental gears when going from my XTs to the Cosmics, as the way they behave as they enter and exit the fade is just different.  Once I manage to change that in my mind, the Ghost is really a great UL/SUL.

I think perhaps the best thing to do is to get an SUL with flight characteristics as similar to your standard as you can...i.e. get the same kite in an SUL version if you can. 

While variety is the spice of life, I find that variety in the SUL range is often wasted sitting in the bag. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 07:32 PM »

SUL... ah, that ol' chestnut!

The trouble with SUL sport kites is that different makers consider totally different wind ranges when designing and naming SUL.  If you want a kite that will fly in lower winds than any other, then models such as the Skyburner Prodancer SUL, Prism 4D and Benson Phantom Pro UL are very good benchmarks.

However some kite makers classify kites as SUL because they will fly in lighter winds than the UL and standard versions of the same kite.  This might not meet your expectations.

The Prism Zephyr was promoted as an UL when it was released, but most flyers consider it a Light, rather than an UL.  Similarly, the Flying Wings Silver Fox UL weren't ever widely regarded as true ULs, more light standards.  This isn't to say they aren't good kites, but they might not meet your expectations for flying in low winds.

Such popular kites as R-Sky Nirvanas, and Lam's kites are produced in standard, light, UL and SUL variants (along with some other vented or mixed varieties).  Each model weighs less than the previous one, and each will fly in lighter winds than the previous one.  But a Fearless SUL or a Nirvana WW might not necessarily fly in as light a wind as a Prodancer or Phantom UL.  This isn't a fault or even bad thing, but you need to be really clear in your own mind what you want a kite to achieve.

Do you want a kite that will fly in less wind than anything else, or do you want a kite that will do the same as your current kites in much less wind.

Food for thought...

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 08:23 PM »

...Benson Phantom Pro UL....
Phantom Elite UL, perchance ? Wink

Although Benson themselves now refer to it simply as the Phantom Shocked

Mike,
pedant.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 06:50 PM »

Phantom Elite UL, perchance ? Wink

Yes, (smack hand against forehead!) - can't believe I made that mistake  Embarrassed

An interesting aside, the Phantom Elite UL I have is fully 3PT framed - flies down to the same bottom end as the Prodancer SUL fully 2PT framed.  If it was only about weight, Tim could still shave a few more grams off!

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum