GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 07:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something came in the mail today!  (Read 2798 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 07:28 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I talked to Jon yesterday...We build my Ocius sul on Wednesday at noon.  I will be makng a nice video... I thought at first to make it small.  But I can run a fifteen minutes on youtube if I had to.  I am going to run some experiments with time.  I am not really sure how much I have and if it will transfer to this site... Rather than clip it and use photos Jon said it would take about an hour of time.  So I'll probably video a m inute to every five minutes... should work out.  I don't want to bore anyone.  This should be a very educational vidoe on kite building and design...  Probably with some soft Zen type music in the  background...

I will probably be posting a couple test videos this next couple days.. I'll post then and then take them down...  The sail is "Red".

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
jeepersjoey

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 05:17 AM »

I got a quote from Sky Burner that the SUL version is $270.  This is quite a lot more expensive than the Std ($215) and UL ($225).

I asked if the Zero spars were available separately but did not get an answer from them.

Are the Zero sticks THAT much more expensive that they add and are worth that much $ over the other versions?

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
vertigo2u

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 07:27 AM »

Wink  The Zero tubes are like nothing before.  I watched Devin fly that kite as hard as he could.  Be bounced the wing tips off frozen ground.  Went up high came down and slammed them.  Everything he could do to break the tubes.   When that was not enough they brought me along to fly it also.  Since I am no were near any kind of skilled pilot.  I crash and slammed into the frozen ground.  Nothing.   Huh Huh

What ever the extra cost I didn't care I ordered mine that day...I am sure the work into the tubes and the availability are part of cost.  Research cost money. 
Do I like paying more for things of course not... I want things as cheap as I can get it...  But when it comes to my favorite sport... I through reason out the door.
We hold kiting as a passion.  Theses Kite Designer's are far and few.  We need to enjoy the ride while it's here. 

Do the Carbon tubes make that much of a difference for price increase...

It's summer time July... hot as hell... no breeze to speak about.  You want to fly it's been a week and you have the shakes from withdrawl.  Your mouth is dry and eye's are starting to get blurry.............. Sad

You wait day after day.  Hour after hour.  Minute after minute you check the weather channel on the computer.  Wind meter shows 0.5mph.

Then suddenly you remember  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Huh Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
You spent an extra $40 bucks on a Ocius Sul...
You run to your kite bag.. Grab the Ocius sul and race down to your local field to fly.  As you assemble your kite a number of people laugh mentioning to each other that it will never fly No Wind...

You back up and pull the lines... Up it goes and you swope into a axel and touch down on a wing tip and do a coin toss......

Right then and there you realize why you paid more money... but you don't care because you don't feel cheated.... It wasn't that much more and your day was worth every cent.  Wind is Free, but some times No Wind cost... Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 07:30 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 10:25 AM »

That seems like a pretty reasonable difference in cost for an SUL version.   I am not sure why exactly, but the SULs generally seem to be significantly more.

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 04:33 PM »

On a regular weight kite just the change from straight to tapered LE rods costs $20+

I gotta assume those new sticks are pricey. With such a thin wall the margin for error in manufacturing has to be much smaller. All these tapered sticks are hand wound from long, sticky sheets of stuff. It's gotta be tough to make really wimpy ones.

Then there's just the fact that no one has made sticks this light since the mid '90s. These are pretty special.

Beyond sticks, SULs tend to require more build time, different materials is crucial areas slows things down.

I'm very much looking forward to trying an Ocius SUL at Kite Party!

Allen, AKA kitehead
vertigo2u

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 09:46 AM »

And it wasn't a Ocius... #4 of 25 showed up bright and early... Thanks Bobby... I love the kite... Thanks Devin for selling it to Bobby .......... and who ever sold it to Devin... It has a home.  Cheesy.  I bought the kite from Bob on Tuesday night... It arrived Friday morning...juts like downtown. Cool

st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 02:11 PM »

glad  you    got    and it  all  good  I  have   been   gone  since  thrus    will talk  to  you in  chat  about  it  later  if  I am  on   

Good air always Bobby
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 05:39 PM »

Beyond sticks, SULs tend to require more build time, different materials is crucial areas slows things down.

There are the video's posted by vertigo2u here of Jon building the SUL, there are some special build features, stand-off's, bridle, sail reinforcements, etc. and probably more cost on the Zero's. Like the Pro Dancer SUL Jon has taken every measure to reduce the weight possible, hand making some parts just to save a gram. You cyclist's can relate I'm sure, we used to say "If you mind the grams the pounds will mind themselves", that attention to detail doesn't come cheap, I wouldn't think $40 is not out of line.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
jeepersjoey

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 07:53 PM »

Ordered mine today...well ok...Monday but I can hope the order was processed today, right?   Undecided

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
oyehut1955
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 02:15 AM »

what a beautiful kite..

"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string"

http://community.webshots.com/user/oyehut1955
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document