GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recoating fabric  (Read 1823 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: January 20, 2011, 07:55 PM »

Has anyone tried to redo the coatings on the nylon or polyester?  My kites get well used (and a lot of mew trick practice abuse)  and I've noticed that they are starting to lose performance on the low end of the range as well as holding water where it used to bead up and run off.  The material on my two most used kites has gotten really soft.  I've been thinking of trying this coating here http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24_225/products_id/1263?osCsid=3a17214d67510a5025ce98773a4b9822  Has anyone ever used this or something similar to renew a kite sail?
tpatter

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:13 PM »

I have heard (but not tried) that washing the sail with a shampoo conditioner will return that nice crinkly sheen to it.

6 kite tom
nckiter
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:39 PM »

Probably not the answer you were hoping for. I don't if anyone has done any further testing.
http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5163&highlight=sealnglide
Ca Ike

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:52 PM »

Probably not the answer you were hoping for. I don't if anyone has done any further testing.
http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5163&highlight=sealnglide
Yea that doesn't quite give me what I'm looking for.  He used new fabric and not the un coated stuff either so it wasn't a good test.  I might have to just try it myself.
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:14 AM »

The fabrics used in modern kites aren't coated, they're impregnated under great pressure. Consequently you're unlikely to achieve any worthwhile aerodynamic result from spraying, just improve water resistance and add a bit of weight.

Some of the old fabrics like Carrington K42 were coated but that's not been around for maybe 15years.

Most proofing sprays are either very dilute PVA or Silicone, if the linked product is applied diluted an by sponge, chances are its PVA. I've never tried it on kite fabric but I'd be cautious about changes in colour - its going to run off areas that are still fresh and only take on the creased/worn areas.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 07:52 AM »

There was also a thread on Kitebuilder about the 303 Protectant that is used by Ballonists to restore the fabrics, one of the members (I think Kiteguy) did some tests and it did provide a bit more sealing to the fabric, I think he came up with an estimate of 30% better or so unscientifically. It is also one of the best UV protectants on the market, Barry (Whatakite) uses it on all his new kites. You can find it at most Auto Parts stores, a bit pricier then Armorall and the like but much better and is also reported to brighten the colors. It won't make old fabric new and crisp but I can't think of any way you could do that at home.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:25 AM »

303 is a wonder liquid that protects fabric from UV degradation....it is on the same design line as armorall materials but 303 is better for fabrics....
I use 303 on my plastic kayaks, dashboard, all waterproof jackets, tents sleeping bags..great on any part of a sailboat too.....i will admit that i do not use it on kites though....

Outdoor shops have it....you can buy it by the gallon ~60 bucks or so....
works great.....

you can also get reviv'x which is a sprayon waterproofing...that will seal older fabrics back up a bit....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:00 AM »

The fabrics used in modern kites aren't coated, they're impregnated under great pressure. Consequently you're unlikely to achieve any worthwhile aerodynamic result from spraying, just improve water resistance and add a bit of weight.

Some of the old fabrics like Carrington K42 were coated but that's not been around for maybe 15years.

Most proofing sprays are either very dilute PVA or Silicone, if the linked product is applied diluted an by sponge, chances are its PVA. I've never tried it on kite fabric but I'd be cautious about changes in colour - its going to run off areas that are still fresh and only take on the creased/worn areas.

I figure weight gain would be pretty small. I have 2 kites that really seem to be slugs in anything but the mid to upper stated wind range and both are made from polyester (not icarex) that is really soft even though they are both brand new.  Both happen to be 09 E3's and I can't find out anything about what type of coatings were used if any.  Both kites soak up water just laying on wet grass and you can feel air through the sail if you blow on it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 10:24 AM »

This is not the thread I was originally refering to, that may have been on the Old GWTW forum but at the bottom of this thread Cliff (CJQ) also did a test on the 303 and was quite satisfied with the results.

http://www.kitebuilder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3632&highlight=303+protectant

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 11:07 AM »

We have used Nikwax TX.Direct to restore porous power kites to like-new condition.  This is a coating that you spray on that works exceptionally well.  I have not yet used it on sport kites so can't comment on that but it works wonders for power kites.

The coating makes the kites crinkly just like new.  It doesn't last nearly as long as the factory coating and usually needs to be redone about once a year (for the power kites anyways).  I would assume that with sport kites - as they are not being packed up or dragged across the ground as much would last much longer.

Hope this helps.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 12:03 PM »

The NikWax looks promising too. I see they have one with a UV protectant also for tents and the like that is simply spray on pre-wet fabric, wipe off and let dry. A bit of an easier process for framed kites then a washing machine. Will have to look around at the outdoor gear shops for some.

n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 08:18 AM »

ehm... i use silicon oil for recoating my ripstop n icarex... i use cp100 grade silicon oil... and it's works nice...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum