GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 12:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to look for?  (Read 1843 times)
shannon23455
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 23, 2011, 11:11 AM »

I'm after the more experienced opinion.

What does everyone look for in a freestyle stunt kite? I have the silverfox now and when the time comes for me to move up to a more upmarket kite what should i look for? There are so many to choose from and most of them seem to be made from the same materials and most are designed to do the latest and greatest tricks.

Do you have a preferred brand? Or do people go off looks and materials?

There are quite a few brands BMK, Focus, Level one, Jest of Eve, Skyburner and list goes on and on. It really does get a bit overwhelming and especially since the wallet can't cover all of them it's hard to pick which one.....

Shannon
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 11:43 AM »

FOPK
Go to a few kite festivals and Fly Other Peoples Kites.
Then order the one you like the best.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 11:49 AM »

Like Denny has said before me, I think the very best thing you can do is become friends with people who own a variety of kites and fly them for yourself. My experience has been that if you demonstrate enough ability to keep from lawn darting a kite (under normal flying conditions) most of the people in the kiting world will let you... or even encourage you to try out their kites.

The other thing you can look for are reviews on specific kites.  There are links to many well written reviews right here on GWTW.  These reviews usually/often cover aspects of the kite's flight and build characteristics.  Do read the reviews in their entirety though, as some people will prefer a kite due to it's "trickability" or for it's precision and your flying style may not be the same as the writer's.  

Even within the single manufactures you mention, you will have a decision to make (as all of them have multiple kites that are excellent).  

To conclude my lengthy  reply, feel free to describe your personal style when asking for kite recommendations.  Do you prefer pitch based tricks? Do you want something fast or slow? How important is a kites precision? Do you want the kite to feel like it is "on rails".  Do you give gentle inputs or do you put a little force into your flying?... and when it all comes down to it in the end, don't forget that we think kites are visually awesome and anyone who says that looks don't play a part in picking a kite is probably out of their mind.  If you like the way a kite looks, you're a significant step in the right direction.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:13 PM »

I would look for a stable kite with neutral handling characteristics. Two kites that fit that description in my bag are the Sea Devil and the Widow Maker. The rest of the kites that I have take some time to get used to, and have their own strengths/weaknesses, like oversteer or deep turtle/weak turtle. Those quirks take more time on the lines to get used to, and that's time wasted for actually learning tricks. Once you know the tricks, it is fun to learn them on the kites that have alot of personality.  Grin
~Rob.

Hadge

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:53 PM »

If you have a Flying Wings Silver Fox now, why not consider the Flying Wings Soul as an upgrade?  Very nice kite, top quality design and materials, flies like a dream. ( The new Silver Fox Pro looks quite interesting too!)

http://kitethoughtsfromthefield.blogspot.com/2009/07/soul-from-flying-wings-is-latest-high.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:22 PM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:17 PM »

Find a kite that appeals to you and then start practicing!  Smiley

I think as good an estimate as any if you are not able to try the kite for yourself before buying it is to  watch videos of the kite in action.  If you like what you see, then thats a pretty good start. 

-Tom

6 kite tom
Adicakes
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 05:13 PM »

What does everyone look for in a freestyle stunt kite?

A 'b' logo.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 05:53 PM »

What does everyone look for in a freestyle stunt kite?

A 'b' logo.

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 06:52 PM »

Sky Sport
CV

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 09:23 PM »

Just 'B' Fearless in your choice.....

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 09:25 PM »

Just 'B' Fearless in your choice.....
And you may find yourself transformed!  Smiley

6 kite tom
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 09:31 PM »

Transformed into some JoE

WinterDaze AoF
tpatter

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 09:42 PM »

......as you discover Nirvana.

6 kite tom
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:12 AM »

It really does get a bit overwhelming and especially since the wallet can't cover all of them it's hard to pick which one.....
TBH... pick one. Better to be flying a kite you don't quite like than to have no kite at all. The swap meet will take it off your hands anyway.

And then you can get another  Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 12:24 PM »

Transformed into some JoE

+1

I love mine!!!!  Smiley

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography