GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 08:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism Classic Illusion Re-Framing.  (Read 3257 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 09:26 AM »

The Illusions (as Mike pointed out, from '98 on) used G Force UL"S with extra reinforcement at the spot the lower bridle leg connected to the leading edge and on the lower spreaders at the fat end.  It was done with extra wraps (eternal) of carbon so the rods look slightly swollen.
My understanding is that this was done as there were higher than normal incidences of breakage in those areas YMMV.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 02:31 PM »

Here is an update on the G Force rod question.  At this time the plan is to no longer make G Force rods.  What is currently in inventory is all there is going to be.  Embarrassed

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 04:30 PM »

Suitable alternatives?
Alfredo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 05:21 PM »

I don't know because as Steve said earlier they have special ends. Embarrassed By the way, the Illy arrived today.It is in incredible condition! I will enjoy it a lot. Smiley
Alfredo.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 05:39 PM »

Steve:

A thought... I restore antique (1890-1910) golf clubs for usable condition as a hobby.  One of the tricks of the trade is wrapping waxed linen whipping near the base of the golf club shaft around the shaft about 2-3 inches.  This strengthens a notorious weak point on the shaft.  If I were to purchase several of the G-force UL rods and wrap them similarly would it not strengthen the rod suitably to make it similar to the stock rods?  Then when I run out, I guess I will have a sweet wall hanging?
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20 AM »

Here is an update on the G Force rod question.  At this time the plan is to no longer make G Force rods.  What is currently in inventory is all there is going to be.  Embarrassed

That's really a shame considering Avia spars were actually designed for kites.
Guess I better help deplete the inventory.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Alfredo

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 06:39 PM »

Hello, I just realized that the design of the Vapor is very similar (or identical) to the design of the Classic Illusion.Question is- Does it have the same dimensions? If so, the spars might have the same bend as the Illusion. The spars for the Vapor, as far as I know, are still available.

An Illusion with the frame of a Vapor.......how does that sound?

Crossing my fingers,
Alfredo.

I fully appreciate the ability of trees to attract kites. They have special powers that way. (Quote by - Charlie Dunton)
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 06:44 PM »

Sounds great doesn't it?  I wouldn't want to try it though as the first contact with terra firma will more than likely shatter the whole frame...............about a hundred smackers worth of carbon, I might add. Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Alfredo

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 06:54 PM »

It does sound great, but I think that the whole frame on a Vapor would shatter if you crash it pretty bad, too.It has the same design and same dimensions so the same crash with the same spars would do the same damage, right? You could have a Vapor in the body of an Illusion.Or I could just buy another Illusion, And have it as a spare just in case. I like that option too. Grin
Thanks,
Alfredo.

Alfredo

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 09:50 AM »

Hey all, Another question-

There are multiple holes for the stand-offs. I know that you move them based on the wind conditions, but I always forget the order. Is it the stronger the wind, the closer the stand-offs need to be to the spine? or the farther?
Thanks in advance,
Alfredo.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 11:18 AM »

Generally speaking, on old Prism kites, Prism says standoffs closer to the spine in low wind and out towards the LE in high wind.

From a practical standpoint, I dont think moving the standoffs around based on wind is a good thing. The characteristics of the kite change quite a bit, and when combined with bridle adjustments you can really mess up the kite. I had a number of Illusions back in the day and after much experimentation ended up with the stock standoff setting all the time.

At least fly the kite a bunch at stock settings before messing with it. You need to know what you are changing and why. Not just a wind adjustment.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Alfredo

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 11:41 AM »

Thanks! That was very helpful. My Illy has the stand offs closest to the spine. Where should they be for the "stock" setting?
Thanks again,
Alfredo.

Alfredo

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 02:26 PM »

Never mind. got it.
Thanks though,
Alfredo.

John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 08:52 AM »

Hello, I just realized that the design of the Vapor is very similar (or identical) to the design of the Classic Illusion.Question is- Does it have the same dimensions? If so, the spars might have the same bend as the Illusion. The spars for the Vapor, as far as I know, are still available.

An Illusion with the frame of a Vapor.......how does that sound?

Crossing my fingers,
Alfredo.

They look the same, but the dimensions are a bit different and of course the vapor sail is way lighter.

I  wouldn't bother framing an Illusion with vapor spars.  I'd personally way rather fly a Prophecy with some sort of UL spar set.
Alfredo

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 10:03 AM »

Thanks. I was looking at buying a Prophecy a while back, but they were too expensive.  Sad
Alfredo.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document