GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 02:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smart Key?  (Read 4361 times)
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:45 AM »

My new Laptop has a Button in the middle above the keyboard that is idenified by the manual as the "Smart Key Button", but it does not say what it is for.

Does anybody know what I would use this for?
Rx
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 02:40 PM »

Would help a lot if you could provide the manufacturer and model for the laptop. 

"Smart" anything is marketing-speak and next to useless.   Could be a programmable softkey (although programmable keys general number in the 3-5 range) or if it is a laptop, a key that shifts between power setting (remember the "Turbo" button  Cheesy)

ATB,
Sam
rxburner
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 02:55 PM »

it is a Compal HT01 barebones, built up by AVA Direct....

see #11 (smart key button)

Rx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 02:58 PM by rxburner » Logged
kiteking

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 04:00 PM »

I'm sorry that key is only for "smart" people, I advise not using it at all

Sorry I could not resist

Sounds like a programmable key but I could not locate any info

Machine is considered to be MFG by Intel but no info on their site either

Sorry for the pun but no assistance

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

ezme6
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:38 PM »

push it and find out what happens Cool

"Do what you like"
rxburner
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 06:41 PM »

push it and find out what happens Cool

I am not that smart...... NOT....

Nothing... and there is nothing in the control panel that has a reference to it.
Rx
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:55 AM »

I once bought a peel-and-stick key for a computer that said "Panic" on it!

At http://blogofwishes.com/weird-things/red-keyboard-panic-key/.

It didn't do much, didn't even move down when you pressed on it. . . (Does yours move? Undecided)

BTW, it used to be more obvious how to insert a link/URL with a short tag like "here", but I don't see it right now. The old forum also had a FAQ area at the top right that answered these kinds of how-to questions. Is there a new-forum version of that info somewhere?

Norm in Toronto
indigo_wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 01:59 PM »

RX...

Don't worry about it.  Talked to AVDirect as well as a couple of other hardware manufacturers.  This is what came back from AVDirect and it seems to bear out after diving through a lot of HW forums.

Hello Sam,  The only "smart key" I now that compal may offer is the dongle thatwill allow you to lock your notebook. This is quite useful when out inpublic to keep your notebook safe from theft. If this does not answer your question, I would suggest contacting Clevodirect, since they are the manufacture of the notebook. Thank you for your interest in AVADirect! 
Kind Regards,
Joseph Michael Mundy     
Sales Executive 800-808-8299
Direct. jmundy<!@!>avadirect.com   |   www.avadirect.com

Basically with the SmartKey button enabled, you can lock your laptop using a USB dongle.  Pull the dongle, and the laptop is locked, until the dongle is re-inserted.  Of course, if you lose or damage it, you're kind of hosed.

ATB,
Sam
rxburner
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 05:00 PM »

I have been getting the same runaround from Joe.... I don't think Joe has a clue what he is talking about, he sent me instuctions for the Fn hot keys.
Rx
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 05:04 PM »

I don't  have a smart key but  I have what they call Lenovo  help key which if you push  it take you to there help center  and on boot  will drop you into the bios  option   don't know if that will be helpful but it is  on  the same spot on my laptop as  on yours

Good air always Bobby
indigo_wolf

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 08:19 PM »

I don't think Joe has a clue what he is talking about, he sent me instuctions for the Fn hot keys.
Rx
While I generally take what most tech salespeople (no offense to anyone) say with a boulder of salt.  In this case, I  would tend to go with his assessment.   Partially because MSI has this feature built into their motherboards, and partially because it is consistent with Compal having another button that controls the functional of a USB port.  The other one is USB Power, which turns power onto the USB ports (for charging a device) even with the laptop off.

There are two ways to confirm the function of the Smart Key button.... one easy, if it is there and the other one not so easy.  First check the BIOS to see if there is an entry for Smart Key.  Most modern BIOS has a short description of settings and values as you step through them.   The more painful method is finding out who makes the motherboard on the laptop and see if you can located a driver disk or disk image.  There should be the Smart Key function should be non-functioning without the device driver.  In a perfect world, the device driver would at least have a ReadMe file.  The painful part is that the Compal products seem to be rebranded under different names depending on region.

ATB,
Sam
EBGB

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:56 PM »

Hate to be a pain, but it's also possible that although the key is present on the keyboard, there's no matching function on the motherboard, or it's there, and just not wired to anything.

It's also possible that the driver is part of an enhanced keyboard driver, and you're just using the standard windows driver.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:59 PM »

I think that the function of the key is solely to exercise the brains of kite addicts!  Smiley

It seems to be working well.

6 kite tom
pfouts

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:07 AM »

I wish my kites had a smart key ....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document