GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at buying the Flying Wings Beetle as my first stunt kite-questions?  (Read 5765 times)
mattmallen
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 26, 2011, 09:43 AM »

Hello all,
I have been flying single line kites casually off and on since i was a kid.  Lately, I have become interested in owning my first 2 line sport kite.  I think I have settled on the Flying Wing Beetle as my first kite based on price and the winds here in Phoenix, AZ.  The reviews I have read say that the lines it comes with are not good.  What line set would you recommend to a beginner?  and what length should I get?

Matt
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:56 AM »

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum!

The beetle is a great kite to begin flying with. You will soon be wanting something more, but it's good to get past the lawndarting stage with something like that  Wink

Definitely replace the lines. For that kite, I would recommend 80-100# 60-75' spectra. The kite won't pull that hard, but the lighter line is much more prone to tangling.
Something like this would be fine - http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=355
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 11:03 AM »

Use the lines that come with the kite at first.

Before using them on the kite, pre-stretch them.
1 Unwind the lines and hook one end of each line on something anchored solidly.
2 Walk to the other end and pull each line separately by leaning your weight away from the anchored end for say 30 seconds or so.
3 Now, compare the length of the lines to each other and shorten the longer line by tying a knot in one of the ends.
4 If the difference in length is too great to fix by tying a knot in the loop, cut the 2 lines to the same length and tie a new knot.
5 After you've flown the kite a few times, check the length by stalling the kite at the top of the window and holding the 2 ends in your hands next to each other.
6 Retie if there is any difference greater than say 1/2 an inch.

But feel free to buy a better line if you want. You'll notice better line more when you're flying a larger kite.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mattmallen

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 01:05 PM »

Thanks to you both for the advice!  Since we are talking what would you recommend as my next step up from the Beetle?
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:29 PM »

welcome to the forum. the next step?; crash less Cheesy from there you can let your pocketbook and what you like to look at be your guide. There are alot of good kites out there, do some research, watch videos and ask more questions here. It also should be be mentioned that the host of this forum is also a great kite shop; http://www.chicokites.com/store/

Sine Metu!
jeepersjoey

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 07:03 PM »

I have two Beetles that I have bought to give to "others" when they see me fly and ask questions.

The key point about the supplied lines is that they are wound separately and they need to be COMPLETELY unrolled to use.  Do not assume that you can unroll 1/2 and fly at that length.

As stated above...the lines have to be the same length to within 1/2".

I too recommend unreeling the line and make sure you have the same length lines.  Start with a level playing field when you are first starting.

Fly other people's kites to get a better understanding of where you want to go next.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 09:43 PM »

Fly other people's kites to get a better understanding of where you want to go next.

This is a great way to test other kites, but be sure you are skilled enough to control the kite in all situations before trying another persons kite.

otherwise I agree with all comments above, the equal line lengths especially, I have seen/assisted many,many new fliers that either only rolled out some of the line or the lines were not equal. and they were getting very frustrated that they could not control the kite.

One of my observations of new fliers is the hands over the head, and trying to over control the kite. I advise that you try to keep your elbows close to your sides, and only make back and forward movements, don't let your arms move away from your sides.

Another tip is to launch the kite and get to the top of the wind window, then practice slight movements back and forth to get used to the kites reaction, always returning to the top of the window. then as you get more accustom try larger movements, then loops, and extend further to the sides of the wind window, to feel where the kite begins to stall, then back to the other side.

And when you are ready to land the kite as a beginner it is best to fly to the extreme edge of the window and let the kite drift to the ground gently

As you get experience you can begin to get closer to the ground.

If you do get the opportunity to fly where other fliers are, please ask for advise or instruction, you will find most all fliers are willing to help

Most of all have patients, keep at it, and have fun

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

skyguy48

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 03:23 AM »

[/quote]One of my observations of new fliers is the hands over the head, and trying to over control the kite[/quote]

Otherwise known as "Orangutan Flying".  Cheesy
(Not meant in a mean way, just what it looks like to me)  Wink

Just Fly It!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:51 AM »

welcome matt.. all good advice above. the only thing that i would add is if you dont have someone to show you the basics   purchase the prism vid  http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=54 it will up ypur learning curve alot.. way better than spending money on line sets at this point IMO but mainly HAVE FUN KO  ps here is your kitehttp://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=26 talk to are host steve he will hook you up 

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 07:05 AM »

One of my observations of new fliers is the hands over the head, and trying to over control the kite

Sort of like that guy in your avatar?  Grin  Cheesy (sorry couldn't resist)

[attachments older than 90 days deleted by admin]

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
skyguy48

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24 AM »

One of my observations of new fliers is the hands over the head, and trying to over control the kite

Sort of like that guy in your avatar?  Grin  Cheesy (sorry couldn't resist)

Now THAT is funny! 
Shocked Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Just Fly It!
mattmallen

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:48 AM »

Thank you all! this might be the most welcome I've felt as a newbie on a forum! a very refreshing change.
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 07:41 PM »

I know that there are people that recommend the Beatle for beginners but I'm not a fan. I have also seen several that were set up from the factory so poorly they wouldn't even fly. Even when they are set up right, they just don't fly as nice as the starter Prisms. From the ones I've checked, Prisms lines are usually closer to even also.

From the GWTW Store in the beginner category, I'd recommend the Jazz or Nexus. If you can swing it, maybe go for a Quantum.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49 PM »

Yes,, Yes... get the Quantum...
CV

bigpappo1
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 05:33 AM »

Matt
what side of town are you, I fly out in Tonopah.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document